Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2023 (All up)

goldfishwars

29. Dallas Cowboys

Field Yates on Twitter: "This video of the phone call from Cowboys  assistant director of college scouting Chris Vaughn to his son - Kansas  State RB Deuce Vaughn - when the team

This Class In One Sentence:

Feels like Jerry and the fellas arrived too early on these selections

Pre-Draft Needs (According to https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/team-needs-2023)

TE, RB, DL, WR, CB, LB, IOL

Selections

26. Mazi Smith | DT | Michigan

58. Luke Schoonmaker | TE | Michigan

90. DeMarvion Overshown | LB | Texas

129. Viliami Fehoko  | Edge | San Jose State

169. Asim Richards  | OT | North Carolina

178. Eric Scott Jr.  | CB | Southern Miss

212. Deuce Vaughn  | RB | Kansas State

244. Jalen Brooks  | WR | South Carolina

What I liked:

Um, um – what did I like? I mean, I like that, at worst, I’m indifferent to this draft class. It’s okay. It’s inoffensive. It’s, sort of fine? I think I like most that Viliami Fehoko isn’t any relation to Simi Fehoko the wide receiver they drafted two seasons ago and is still on the roster. 

I like the potential of Mazi Smith more than the current player, but I think it's a solid pick regardless. And he wouldn’t be the first Michigan defensive line prospect whose athletic potential bloomed in the NFL. He already fills a size need on that interior defensive line, which needed beef - he has that and that's good for Dallas. I also think Schoonmaker can be a threat down the seam, where Dak liked to throw to Dalton Schultz. He has some limitations elsewhere in his game, he's not going to offer much after the catch for example – but he’s a decent prospect. 

DeMarvion Overshown is a decent run and chase backer and Asim Richards has some inside/outside flexibility on a line which needs re-tooling. And I loved the Deuce Vaughn draft call with his dad, Chris, who is clearly a beloved member of the organization. I thought that was very touching. And you can’t not root for Deuce. He's so little (and a little too little if we are honest). 

What I didn’t like:

It’s really not an exciting haul. I mean, not every draft has to be – but I’m struggling to muster big opinions on these cats. Like the Jags, the picks outside of Mazi feel a round early. And I like Mazi, but it can get a little dicey when some of the best qualities in your first round pick are theoretical. 

If off-season talk was to be believed, then this would be the class which gave Dak the weapons he needed to tilt this roster back into contention. This isn’t that, and it might not be their fault. It did kind of look like Dallas had just been jumped by the Bills when NFLN cut to the Dallas War Room after Kincaid was selected. There were a lot of glum faces, although it’s hard to tell with Mike McCarthy. This was right after an unprecedented run on the top receivers. If they were targeting one, life looked pretty sweet for America’s Team after Tampa Bay selected Calijah Kancey at 19 with every pass catcher still available.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

30. Jacksonville Jaguars

Jaguars 2023 NFL Draft recap: 13 players picked, value added to roster

A draft that started well and then got a little bit weird

Selections

27. Anton Harrison | OT | Oklahoma

61. Brenton Strange | TE | Penn State

So you’re saying things got a bit Strange after the Harrison pick? 

Sorry I’ll see myself out 😂

28. Los Angeles Chargers

Top Quotes | Quentin Johnston's 1st Day as a Charger

If I had to hazard a guess, this is the one class which will draw the wildest range of takes

Pre-Draft Needs (According to https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/team-needs-2023)

WR, TE, RB, DL, EDGE, CB, OT

Selections

21. Quentin Johnston | WR | TCU

54. Tuli Tuipulotu | Edge | USC

85. Daiyan Henley | ILB | Washington State

125. Derius Davis  | WR | TCU

156. Jordan McFadden  | OG | Clemson

200. Scott Matlock  | DT | Boise State

239. Max Duggan  | QB | TCU

What I liked:

I kinda liked two players in this class, the linebacker Henley and the McFadden pick at 156. Henley has range for days and can blitz. He’s a little raw, but is an ascending talent. Like his new teammate Jamaree Salyer, McFadden is a shorter offensive lineman who can still hang at tackle if needed. But he’s chippy and strong, and plays with an edge. He can certainly give a line, which has been making steady improvement, some needed depth.

What I didn’t like:

Quentin Johnston and Tuli Tuipulotu were polarizing prospects with many serious admirers, but I couldn’t get fully onboard with either. I’m generally weary of big receivers who want to win in the small game, even if Johnston has plenty to like there – particularly in his dynamic work after the catch. Whilst there is absolutely a world where he can succeed in the NFL, I wouldn’t be surprised if he flashes more than he consistently contributes.

Tuipulotu at 54, I don’t know, man. I feel like we’ve seen this movie too many times. There was a lot of admirable hustle that played in college. But ultimately, the lack of length and explosive athleticism will see him unable to live up to the reputation he forged there. The fact that he didn’t test at all should be a red flag.

I know it’s a late, late pick, so whatever – but Max Duggan wasn’t a draftable prospect. I mean, he somehow wasn’t the worst quarterback selected, but I don’t even see a path to a short career as a back-up.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I did not realize the Jags had that many selections. That is a huge rookie class.

It's almost impractically large, isn't it? I guess maybe there's merit to just kind of seeing who sticks, but there's no chance they all make roster, so it feels like they'd have been better served using some to move back up or something.

2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

It's almost impractically large, isn't it? I guess maybe there's merit to just kind of seeing who sticks, but there's no chance they all make roster, so it feels like they'd have been better served using some to move back up or something.

Sounds like a Rick Spielman draft. Is he still with the Jags?