2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

I don't know that I think it's likely, but it's certainly possible.  Gute wasn't afraid to part with a couple of good picks to go get Watson.

Or Love and look how that turned out.

18 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

My round 2 O line pick for the Packers is C/G Powers Johnson. I think I'd take him over T Guyton, T/G Barton, OG Beebe or C Van Pran.

Yeah, he's a thick strong dude for sure. talked earlier how there's just no real stuff of him getting out in space and we ask the C to get out there and rumble. 

I've got Guyton a good bit higher than the interior guys. He's got all the tools and he seems like a solid dude who'll fit right in a room. He's for sure still learning the position, I think the moon is the ceiling for him. But I'm also the guy who's the least comfortable with Rasheed here i guess and probably higher than most on Myers.

Havent gotten to Beebe or Van Pran yet. But I dont see myself looking at an interior guy that high in the draft.

Edited by HighCalebR

1 hour ago, FinneasGage said:

Has Jordan Davis panned out? Not rhetorical, just legit haven’t heard his name since the draft (but I only watch packer games) 

Yes.  He was really good for them.

On 1/22/2024 at 12:05 PM, Isherwood said:

Nubin, but he’s going to be 23. Kinda hope Gute looks the other way on that. 

On 1/22/2024 at 12:09 PM, ThatJerkDave said:

Really early favorite of mine is the kid out of Minnesota, Tyler Nubin.

I was lead to believe he was more of a hitter than a cover guy. I know he was primarily the deep Safety, but I've heard less than glowing reviews of his ability back there like his best fit would be as a 2 shell guy.

34 minutes ago, HyponGrey said:

I was lead to believe he was more of a hitter than a cover guy. I know he was primarily the deep Safety, but I've heard less than glowing reviews of his ability back there like his best fit would be as a 2 shell guy.

Very shallow dive on any prospects by me so far, so certainly don't take my word for anything.  But looking at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-Dv9Up6iYM

he seems like both a hitter and good in coverage.  There will be more time to dig deeper, but my first impression is that he was able to cover and tackle at the college level. 

[edit]  This guy thinks he is slow.  Still thinks he will be a top 50 pick, so probably not a turtle, but may not be fast enough for what we want.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Td13aU7LSg

Reportedly ran 4.7 in the 40 coming out of high school.  In the small clips that I have seen, he looks faster than that, LaDarius Gunter was a 4.7 guy.  But how much faster is to be determined.  

Edited by ThatJerkDave

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

I don't know that I think it's likely, but it's certainly possible.  Gute wasn't afraid to part with a couple of good picks to go get Watson.

Gute also was willing to move back from 45 2x and pick up a few more D3 picks and get Reed + Wicks 

3 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think the Packers might look to move up for someone they really like.  I don't see them making all five of those picks in the first three rounds.

If they did a modest trade-up, I hope it's for Fuaga or one of the CB's. 

5 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Yeah, he's a thick strong dude for sure. talked earlier how there's just no real stuff of him getting out in space and we ask the C to get out there and rumble. 

I've got Guyton a good bit higher than the interior guys. He's got all the tools and he seems like a solid dude who'll fit right in a room. He's for sure still learning the position, I think the moon is the ceiling for him. But I'm also the guy who's the least comfortable with Rasheed here i guess and probably higher than most on Myers.

Havent gotten to Beebe or Van Pran yet. But I dont see myself looking at an interior guy that high in the draft.

JPJ got out to the second level quite a bit in the Oregon-UCLA game and looked fine doing it.

Just now, MaximusGluteus said:

JPJ got out to the second level quite a bit in the Oregon-UCLA game and looked fine doing it.

In his booth yeah, gets on the ILBs and I think he worked himself up to a safety well. How about on screens and tosses? When he's chasing stuff down from the backside the legs start looking pretty stiff when he tries to get moving out there. I think he's prone to some of the Myers whiffs as well where he's just not stacked on himself like he should be.

I think thats one of the ones I watched anyways. should probably start doing notes..

I wouldnt hate getting JPJ in, for sure got that Pro Bowl potential or whatever you want to call it.

Just where he's going to go, is he a perfect fit? Is it an immediate need for a non premium? With Myers in tow he just wouldnt be my guy that high up the board when I think there's more pressing needs with corresponding prospects in the area.

4 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

In his booth yeah, gets on the ILBs and I think he worked himself up to a safety well. How about on screens and tosses? When he's chasing stuff down from the backside the legs start looking pretty stiff when he tries to get moving out there. I think he's prone to some of the Myers whiffs as well where he's just not stacked on himself like he should be.

I think thats one of the ones I watched anyways. should probably start doing notes..

I wouldnt hate getting JPJ in, for sure got that Pro Bowl potential or whatever you want to call it.

Just where he's going to go, is he a perfect fit? Is it an immediate need for a non premium? With Myers in tow he just wouldnt be my guy that high up the board when I think there's more pressing needs with corresponding prospects in the area.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not really on team JPJ.  I don't understand the hype he's been getting lately, and I agree that he isn't the best mover (I did just watch him go out on a screen against Washington and he looked really slow and out of place out there).  He's a solid player, but PFF having him ranked 22nd on their big board is absolutely ridiculous IMO.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not really on team JPJ.  I don't understand the hype he's been getting lately, and I agree that he isn't the best mover (I did just watch him go out on a screen against Washington and he looked really slow and out of place out there).  He's a solid player, but PFF having him ranked 22nd on their big board is absolutely ridiculous IMO.

He did well in his all-star bowl practices.

3 minutes ago, HyponGrey said:

He did well in his all-star bowl practices.

I was finally able to find video with ALL the OL/DL 1-on-1 reps and yeah, he looked a lot better overall than the few blips I saw yesterday.  I still think he's being overhyped, though.  Again, not a bad player by any means, but a 22nd overall ranking is wild to me.

Speaking of which, after finally getting to see all the reps, the guys that I thought were solid initially had a lot more bad reps that I wasn't able to see at first.  Still good to be able to learn about players I hadn't yet heard of, though.

1 minute ago, MaximusGluteus said:

I was finally able to find video with ALL the OL/DL 1-on-1 reps and yeah, he looked a lot better overall than the few blips I saw yesterday.  I still think he's being overhyped, though.  Again, not a bad player by any means, but a 22nd overall ranking is wild to me.

Speaking of which, after finally getting to see all the reps, the guys that I thought were solid initially had a lot more bad reps that I wasn't able to see at first.  Still good to be able to learn about players I hadn't yet heard of, though.

22?! No. If he's 22 then your board is scant. Dude is a fringe 1st at best. 30-40 range for me with his stock rise.