2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

Does the Packers shift to a base 4-3 mean they keep an extra guy on the D line and consequently increase the chances of a pick there on day 1 or 2 ?   

(I do know most teams spend most of their time in a nickel defense and I also understand they will play some 3-4 even if their base is 4-3).

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Was going to say the same thing. I think if you can get him in and work on his pass protection, you have a similar player to Aaron Jones.  

The pass protection part is a big one. Haven't really dug too deep into anyone yet but curious how he performs in this area. Definitely close in size to Jones. This draft has a number of backs that would be interesting to see in Green and Gold. One would think we'll move on from Quadzilla and spend the salary cap elsewhere. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

I consider it a reach if you draft a player 2 full rounds before their consensus draft round in rounds 2-5, or 1 full round before their consensus ranking in round 1. 

Cole Strange for example.

Overspending just because you have the player ranked higher doesn't justify it.  You still need to account for cost and the inherent unpredictability of any draft choice succeeding.  Minimizing cost to draft the players you like is a great way to succeed in the NFL draft even if your draft board is just... meh.

But it’s not a reach if only ONE other team would take your top player on your board even if the consensus says otherwise. Get the guys you want and don’t worry about what others think.

If your constantly worrying about how others rank players I don’t feel your very confident in your own evaluation skills

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Nah it still happens.  Even Wolf taking 3 CB's with his first 3 picks.  Edwards, Vinson, and McKensie.  Was an utter failure only McKensie proved to be any good.  He was the 3rd one taken.  Draft pundits aren't always right in their evaluations either so there is some validity to your argument.  Lesser teams still do reach to fill need though.  Best GM's let the board fall to them lesser ones don't.  Man it's going to be a long offseason.  

We did trade Vinson for Amhan Green, far from utter failure.

On 2/2/2024 at 11:01 AM, OneTwoSixFive said:

from PFF

C JACKSON POWERS-JOHNSON, OREGON

Powers-Johnson has been the best player at the Senior Bowl through two days. He was one of the top interior offensive linemen going into the week and has not only matched expectations, but exceeded them. He showed up at 335 pounds, which is big for a center, but he still is fast on his feet with power and patience. He feels like a first-round player because of his dominance against all pass rushers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

from Trevor Sikkema
I cannot say enough say impressive
@oregonfootball

OL Jackson Powers-Johnson has been. Dominating at center and guard. Wins consistently with power, but here he shows the patience and quickness, too. Not sure he’s lost a 1-on-1 rep all week

The guys at the Ringer Draft Show dubbed him "SpongeBob" because his body is a square. 

2 hours ago, Zing said:

The pass protection part is a big one. Haven't really dug too deep into anyone yet but curious how he performs in this area. Definitely close in size to Jones. This draft has a number of backs that would be interesting to see in Green and Gold. One would think we'll move on from Quadzilla and spend the salary cap elsewhere. 

For what it is worth, I just read that Irving wasn't good at pass protection, and I believed it.  I don't have any Oregon film of his blocking, so it is possibly incorrect.  Jones was pretty poor in pass protection early in his career as well, and he isn't notably good at it even now.  

7 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Does the Packers shift to a base 4-3 mean they keep an extra guy on the D line and consequently increase the chances of a pick there on day 1 or 2 ?   

(I do know most teams spend most of their time in a nickel defense and I also understand they will play some 3-4 even if their base is 4-3).

It's actually the opposite - we should expect to see more plays with three off-ball linebackers than we did last year, and fewer plays with 3 interior d-linemen. 

It's more likely that we target linebackers early and often in the off-season. 

Edited by Sandy

We'll never know for sure if a team has reached unless they come out and say "We had several players ranked higher than the one we took but we needed to fill XXX position". It's been discussed multiple times how different teams have wildly different boards, including completely dropping many of them due to character / scheme fit / whatever. You can't just say a player is a reach because the media had a different ranking on them.

Of course, this doesn't mean some teams aren't just bad at drafting, but I'd bet it's more due to bad evaluations leading to a bad board than "reaching".

14 hours ago, squire12 said:

Its not a reach if any team picks the highest rated player on their draft board.

Yep.  Every year, NFL fans puke out the R-word for every pick they don't agree with.  As if player rankings and positional value are universally agreed upon metrics that can be applied equally across every available player for every team.  At some point, the "reach" argument just becomes dumb.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Yep.  Every year, NFL fans puke out the R-word for every pick they don't agree with.  As if player rankings and positional value are universally agreed upon metrics that can be applied equally across every available player for every team.  At some point, the "reach" argument just becomes dumb.

One of the things I like about Gute is that he seems to have a gift for getting players he really wants while being patient with which draft slot to use.

One exception to that was when he burned draft capital to get a quarterback that no one else would have wanted while he had an MVP quarterback under contract. That seemed dumb and reachy at the time.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

We did trade Vinson for Amhan Green, far from utter failure.

Stop it.  Vinson was a bad pick and busted out.  The fact that we fleeced Seattle has nothing to do with it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Packer_ESP said:

We'll never know for sure if a team has reached unless they come out and say "We had several players ranked higher than the one we took but we needed to fill XXX position". It's been discussed multiple times how different teams have wildly different boards, including completely dropping many of them due to character / scheme fit / whatever. You can't just say a player is a reach because the media had a different ranking on them.

Of course, this doesn't mean some teams aren't just bad at drafting, but I'd bet it's more due to bad evaluations leading to a bad board than "reaching".

See it with QB's all the time.  Teams give away the farm to take them.  Most times they are not as highly rated as other players on the board.  But they need a QB so they definitely reach.  Too make matters worse not only do they not take the highest rated player they trade away multiple 1st rounders for the privilege. SF and Trey Lance comes to mind.  But there are many examples of this.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

See it with QB's all the time.  Teams give away the farm to take them.  Most times they are not as highly rated as other players on the board.  But they need a QB so they definitely reach.  Too make matters worse not only do they not take the highest rated player they trade away multiple 1st rounders for the privilege. SF and Trey Lance comes to mind.  But there are many examples of this.  

To some degree, I agree when it comes to QB's.  The QB position is in a class of its own when it comes to both contracts, and what teams will do on draft day to get one they covet.

• Like 1

The only time I'll say "reach" is when it sounds like an overzealous team owner gets involved and trades half his team assets and multiple first round picks for a tiny QB that no one thought was better than the guy the Texans took at number 2.