2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

55 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Man, I’m just not a Newton guy. Didn’t look the part agains a barely average UW offensive line.

Convince me I’m wrong. 

Not wrong. Newton is a penetrating DL. Good pass rusher but can be washed out in run game. The non-CB pick in the first round should be Byron Murphy from Texas. He'd be part of the DL rotation that would make the DBs look better too.

This is the way.

1 hour ago, MantyWrestler said:

Man, I’m just not a Newton guy. Didn’t look the part agains a barely average UW offensive line.

Convince me I’m wrong. 

Am I thinking of the wrong game? Off the top of my head I thought Newton was dominating that game until he got ejected on a sack/FF and then WI made the big comeback.

https://youtu.be/gnVGLrzLZqI?si=rwqzPQoL1saAJ2Hn

Edited by wgbeethree
Added video
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, R T said:

The last 2 times the Packers have selected 25th overall they have selected a DB, Ahmad Carroll in 2004 and Antuan Edwards in 1999.

So, there is that going for a BAD DB being selected.

Science.  

fify

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

0 is Braelon Allen, correct? Pretty good in pass protection, IMO.  

6’2 238.  He’s definitely got the frame for it and good to see it looks like he has the disposition. If we grab him a bit later I would be happy to have him. If he can catch, we’d have ourselves an H-back who can do a bit of everything. I’m hoping for a thunder and lightning addition to the RB room. Don’t really care where we pick them up but I want guys who play fast and go for the kill. 

*I guess he played RB/LB in high school and the Badgers considered using him at S/LB when they first recruited him. The guy likes to hit. 

Edited by Refugee

14 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

f9c203911cdfcbea91a4abaf9fbc1c8a17-17-dr

He bulked up to 230 for the Senior Bowl and played LB which I'm guessing is where he'll play in the NFL.  He might have the frame to put on another 10-15 lbs and keep his athleticism.  He gave up some big plays in the game I watched against UNC so he has some work to do, but I wouldn't say he's bad in coverage and he will definitely lay people out.

We'll see if he can make the transition to LB, but we know how well that's worked out in the past for most of the tweener safeties.  I'm sure somebody has done it it successfully, but I can't think of anyone off the top of my head.

Curious for those high on Edgerrin Cooper (who I keep seeing show up in mocks): where's the fit in the GB defense? I think he can be an explosive player, but, given his size, I also don't see any fit for him other than the Will in a 4-3 defense. Given that Walker is already filling that role, I don't see the need or value of Cooper. 

Anyone think he could play the Mike in our defense? 

11 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

He bulked up to 230 for the Senior Bowl and played LB which I'm guessing is where he'll play in the NFL.  He might have the frame to put on another 10-15 lbs and keep his athleticism.  He gave up some big plays in the game I watched against UNC so he has some work to do, but I wouldn't say he's bad in coverage and he will definitely lay people out.

We'll see if he can make the transition to LB, but we know how well that's worked out in the past for most of the tweener safeties.  I'm sure somebody has done it it successfully, but I can't think of anyone off the top of my head.

Yeah you don't play him deep or outside. You put him down low and let him hunt. He's athletic enough to cover big slots TEs and RBs. I love Williams a little later on, really don't think he needs to add any weight. 

Think he's a pretty perfect candidate for the 3rd round curse