2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

From Feldman's pre-combine Freaks List. Some guys who fit what GB traditionally look for: 

4. Payton Wilson, LB, NC State
He is one of the best players in the draft. A former standout lacrosse player and state champion wrestler, the 6-4, 235-pounder won the Butkus and Bednarik awards in 2023. At NC State, Wilson had been clocked in the 40 at 4.49 and ran a 4.21 in the pro agility shuttle last offseason. He bench pressed 390, vertical jumped 35 1/2 inches and broad jumped 9-8 1/2. Don’t be surprised if he tops a lot of those numbers at the combine.

7. Jaylen Wright, RB, Tennessee
The 20-year-old junior ran for 1,000 yards this season and a few scouts this week predicted he would be one of the three fastest players in Indianapolis. The 5-11, 210-pounder, No. 24 on the Freaks List in 2022, has a lot of juice. He’s clocked 23.6 MPH in practice and vertical jumped 44 inches and went 10-8 in the broad jump last year. In high school, he ran a hand-timed 4.28 40.

10. Kris Jenkins, DT, Michigan
The son of the former star NFL D-lineman by the same name was described by Jim Harbaugh as “the mutant of all mutants.” Some of the freaky stuff Jenkins can do that merited the No. 1 spot on the Freaks List in 2023 won’t be relevant at the combine. At 307 pounds, Jenkins did a Turkish get-up with a 170-pound dumbbell — the heaviest former Michigan strength coach Ben Herbert has ever witnessed. Jenkins also does pull-ups with a 100-pound weight strapped to his waist and could do 760 pounds on the combo twist.

What will show up in Indy are his agility numbers and explosiveness. Last offseason, Jenkins ran a 7.16 3-cone, a 4.33 shuttle, broad jumped 9-8 and vertical jumped 34 inches. He also did 32 reps at 225 pounds. All those numbers would be among the best for his position if he can match them, especially the agility times.

14. Trevin Wallace, LB, Kentucky
I expect the former high school track star’s stock to continue to rise after a good showing at the Senior Bowl. The 242-pound linebacker, who once long jumped 23-4 1/4 inches to break a school record that stood for 44 years and also won the state weightlifting title with a 335-pound power clean, hit 22 MPH on the GPS at Kentucky and also vertical jumped 38.5 inches.

16. Tyler Owens, DB, Texas Tech
At 6-2, 205 pounds, Owens is something of an eye-catching talent who could become an elite player on special teams. He’s a big, explosive safety who should excel in Indy. Last offseason, he vertical jumped over 40 inches. He also was clocked at more than 23 MPH in a game.

19. Cam Hart, CB, Notre Dame
Hart has great size for a corner at 6-2 1/2, 204 pounds but also exceptional measurables. Last offseason, he broad jumped 11-2, vertical jumped 38 inches and hit 23.01 MPH on the GPS.

21. Chris Braswell, edge, Alabama
He wasn’t as productive as Alabama products Will Anderson Jr. or Dallas Turner, but Braswell probably will test better. At Alabama, Braswell vertical jumped 38 1/2 inches and hit almost 22 MPH on the GPS while weighing 256 pounds. He’s also extremely strong.

23. Javontae Jean-Baptiste, DL, Notre Dame
The Ohio State transfer made a big impact at Notre Dame in 2023, producing a team-best 10.5 TFLs to go with five sacks. The 6-4 1/2, 260-pounder broad jumped 10-5 last offseason and vertical jumped 35 inches. He also hit 20.4 MPH on the GPS. He should be one of the most impressive D-linemen in Indy.

29. Gabe Hall, DL, Baylor
The 6-5, 296-pound Hall, who has 34-inch arms, flashed early at the Senior Bowl. He should make some noise in Indy. He bench presses 500 pounds, and he’s hit 19.9 MPH on the GPS.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Man, you've studied a lot more RB's than I have....tell me about Corum.  And tell me if I'm wrong.

I like the kid.  He looks like a capable NFL back.   I also do not see a superstar.  I do not see a franchise back.  I don't think he will scare a defense, but he will move chains, pass block and I feel like one of his best attributes is catching out of the backfield, even though I didn't see a lot of it.

But in terms of a pure runner, I just don't see anything special with him.  Like if the blocking is there to get 3 yards, he will get three yards.  So really, I see him as a tick above Jamal Williams, but well below an Aaron Jones type player.

No offense meant to Jamal, but he's not really special.  But he is adequate.

I am not sure that Corum isn't special.  I think he is a do everything back.  He catches, he can get around the edge, and he can run up the middle.  I think the "not special" kind of comes from the fact that he isn't the best at any one thing.  If you recall a question I posed about Aaron Jones about a month ago, I asked why is he good?  He isn't fast, powerful, great at receiving, when compared to some of his peers, but he is probably like a 7 or 8 out of 10 at everything.  I think that is going to be Corum.  

I will be surprised if Corum doesn't run at least low 4.4s in the 40 yard dash.  I think as a freshman, he was a legit 4.3s guy, but he has bulked himself up and lost a bit of speed to increase his strength.  The video below is long, but it kind of shows everything Corum can do.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOgNQq4to5s

I think he actually reminds me of another Michigan RB, Chris Perry.  Perry never panned out in the league, but he was a first round talent.  If I recall correctly, and judging by his statlines, (it has been 20 years) Perry just couldn't stay healthy.

I haven't watched entire game cut-ups of any of these guys, so I am not sure how he handles blitz pick-ups or if he runs a good route when the ball goes somewhere else, or how he blocks downfield for teammates.  But from what I have seen from Corum so far, I would have zero quarrel with the Packers taking him as early as pick 58.  And a lot of the draft sites and stuff have him going in the early 3rd, so we could probably maneuver around to get him.

Like I have said before, I really like this RB class.  There just isn't a Saquon Barkley, top 10 guy.  I liked Jahmyr Gibbs better than anyone in this class, but I also didn't really like Bijan Robinson, so what do I know?

If I were running this draft for the Packers, I would be trying really hard to select two RBs that compliment each other, with more of an eye to 2025 and beyond.  Think:  Braelon Allen + Bucky Irving, or Audric Estime + Will Shipley.  I played with this idea in a mock sim, and I usually end up missing out on an OL that I really like, but even in the sim games, I cannot not take Edgerrin Cooper in the second when he is there.  

[edit] add also, the Michigan Wolverines are always stacked.  Sometimes it is hard to tell how good a player is, when it is the AAA NFL squad vs the UPS driver fleet from Purdue.

Edited by ThatJerkDave
  • Like 2

It's interesting that Jeremiah, who was an NFL scout, does not have DeJean rated as high (31) as some do.  Perhaps the Packers chances of getting him are better than a lot of people think. I'm starting to lean more toward Rakestraw. 

21 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

It's interesting that Jeremiah, who was an NFL scout, does not have DeJean rated as high (31) as some do.  Perhaps the Packers chances of getting him are better than a lot of people think. I'm starting to lean more toward Rakestraw. 

Also noticed he has Edgerrin Cooper in the early 20's.  There's been some murmurs that the Packers are very high on him.  

56 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

In my completely amateur view, I see DeJean like Damarious Randall or Micah Hyde.  A guy that is playing corner and probably should be playing safety.  If you were around at the time, I really didn't like Micah Hyde.  Maybe it is the Iowa thing.  But to me, I am looking at DeJean and I am seeing first round Tyler Nubin.  I feel like we would be using a first rounder on a guy whose equivalent is more than likely at either of our second round picks.  

9 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

In my completely amateur view, I see DeJean like Damarious Randall or Micah Hyde.  A guy that is playing corner and probably should be playing safety.  If you were around at the time, I really didn't like Micah Hyde.  Maybe it is the Iowa thing.  But to me, I am looking at DeJean and I am seeing first round Tyler Nubin.  I feel like we would be using a first rounder on a guy whose equivalent is more than likely at either of our second round picks.  

Just my opinion, but had DeJean started at FS the last 3 years at Iowa, he'd be a consensus top 15 pick. I think he's a plug and play guy at FS with his instincts and zone skills. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

The question I have with DeJean is less about him the player and more about why people insist on taking a bonafide boundary cornerback and turn him into a safety?

I can only answer for myself....

But...when I watch his stuff, he is very instinctive.  It's like he is playing faster than anyone else, because he senses the plays coming and he goes 100 mph to the ball.

Yah, it plays at corner.

But that is a key skill at safety.  Awareness and instincts.  If he shows those kinds of attributes as a safety, you have a player that can man up a TE or WR when needed, as well as play the angles back deep and diagnose what is coming at him.

It's like he can impact the game more from a safety position.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ReasonablySober said:

The question I have with DeJean is less about him the player and more about why people insist on taking a bonafide boundary cornerback and turn him into a safety?

Because he is white. 

3 hours ago, ReasonablySober said:

It's about putting him in the best position to succeed and would depend on Hafley's actual scheme once we see it play out. If DeJean has a weak spot in the NFL, it's probably man coverage on the boundary. Doesn't have the twitch/hips to be elite there IMO. Having him play boundary man coverage all day when you could be using him as a ball-hawking FS would almost be criminal IMO. 

Now if Hafley is going to employ a lot more Cover 3 to fit LaFleur's "vision-based" DB play he was talking about, then you could probably put DeJean wherever you want. 

• Like 2

Still have the combine, but interesting.

Cody Bauer

@CBauerNFLDraft

Where was Kamren Kinchens on PFF’s big board at the end of the season? 30?He had 3 practices of doing one on one drills in Mobile and now he’s ranked 80 overall.

34 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Still have the combine, but interesting.

Cody Bauer

@CBauerNFLDraft

Where was Kamren Kinchens on PFF’s big board at the end of the season? 30?He had 3 practices of doing one on one drills in Mobile and now he’s ranked 80 overall.

I'm not a huge draft guru, but there are only about 4-5 safeties in this class that I see being decent NFL players.

Nubin, Bullard, Hicks, Tykee Smith, and maybe Mustapha. Obviously DeJean is another, but I still would consider him as a CB for now.