2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

19 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Good god this "white" thing is getting old.  Maybe that's because I'm old but who gives a crap if he is? 

It's just because white CBs are super, super rare and there's no actual good reason for this (though there are some bad reasons, for sure.)  But there's literally no other position in football that's like this!

I'm just saying if you want to say someone is going to play safety, you probably should have seen him line up there before you draft him.  At least, the team that draft's him highest is not actually just assuming he can play safety.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think if you're drafting Dejean it's to play CB.  He played like one snap at safety in his entire career at Iowa.  People are just saying "he's a safety" because he's like 6'1" 205 and white.

He's got great instincts. 

White Woodson.

50 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think if you're drafting Dejean it's to play CB.  He played like one snap at safety in his entire career at Iowa.  People are just saying "he's a safety" because he's like 6'1" 205 and white.

I think its an anticipation of losing a step over the injury, and also that our new defense asks safeties to play coverage (if i understand correctly).  he seems like a willing tackler.

Combined with another shallow year of athletic safeties and a little nostalgia for nick collins. 

1 minute ago, HokieHigh said:

I think its an anticipation of losing a step over the injury, and also that our new defense asks safeties to play coverage (if i understand correctly).  he seems like a willing tackler.

Combined with another shallow year of athletic safeties and a little nostalgia for nick collins. 

I think he's the perfect nickel corner.  Athletic enough to shut down slot receivers and physical enough to play the run and be a dangerous blitzer.  Also has strong return skills, which would come in handy if Nixon is let go.  Packers pick at #25 if he's on the board. 

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

...I'm just saying if you want to say someone is going to play safety, you probably should have seen him line up there before you draft him.  At least, the team that draft's him highest is not actually just assuming he can play safety.

I defer to smarter people and analysts than me.  But I kinda figure that most CB could play safety, if they have the size for it, and the smarts/instincts.  If a guy has good CB coverage skills and speed, but also has good size/smarts/instincts, why shouldn't he be able to play safety?  

In baseball, they talk defensive spectrum:  SS is high, so any good SS should be able to transition to 2B or 3B.  CB is higher than safety on the football spectrum, so should be able to handle safety.  (That is, if he 's got the brains/instincts, and has the size.). 

1 hour ago, HokieHigh said:

I just think he moves like Micah Hyde.  I also think Tyler Nubin moves like Micah Hyde.  That is just the player I see when I watch them.

15 hours ago, Kampfgeist said:

My answer would be 'Yes, if..."

1]Yes, it is wise if the team has evaluated that player as having an impact comparable to Jayden Reed or (a healthy) Christian Watson

What a coincidence! Both of them would have the same role in this offense! 

8 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think he's the perfect nickel corner.  Athletic enough to shut down slot receivers and physical enough to play the run and be a dangerous blitzer.  Also has strong return skills, which would come in handy if Nixon is let go.  Packers pick at #25 if he's on the board. 

If he returns to full speed, yea i agree. 

11 hours ago, Lodestar said:

I remember a few years ago at the draft Gutey saying something like there's only so many blue chip difference-makers in each draft, and you have to take your opportunities to get them when you can. Granted, he was talking about Savage, and that didn't work out, but it does seem to reflect his approach at the top of the draft, whether it's Gary, LVN, or trading up for Watson. I don't follow these guys as closely as others, but it does seem like Dejean is one of those high-ceiling difference maker types. I'd be curious to know who else might fit that bill at #25.

As much as anything, this is the argument for going with an early WR.