2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

2 hours ago, spilltray said:

No one wants to be in class with the kid who eats paste.

Sure they do. There's huge groups of paste eaters who make it their entire point in life and want nothing more than to be completely surrounded by people who like eating paste exactly like they do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

He's got ball skills which is important for a deep safety. He can also catch, which is unusual. I think he plays faster than he tests. 

tackling is important for Safeties

22 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Looking at all the players that are refusing to do combine stuff the situation as it is, is ridiculous. 

The NFL has worked hard to turn the combine into a media event as part of its commitment to make the NFL a tear round thing. However, whether this is instituted by agents or players, the whole event has been circumvented. It cannot continue like this.

Either the combine (or something similar) will become an event players must do, or it will die. The combine is relatively useless if players only do the tests they are best at, and refuse the others.

At this point, they are not yet employees.  You would have to mandate that only combine attendees and full participants get drafted.  But that excludes guys that are injured, like Cooper DeJean.  It also excludes guys that didn't get the invite, like Karl Brooks.  There really isn't a good or fair way to mandate this stuff.

6 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

At this point, they are not yet employees.  You would have to mandate that only combine attendees and full participants get drafted.  But that excludes guys that are injured, like Cooper DeJean.  It also excludes guys that didn't get the invite, like Karl Brooks.  There really isn't a good or fair way to mandate this stuff.

Yeah, I've thought this through as well and, as you say, there is no easy answer here. It may be that the combine as-is dies, replaced by individual teams working out prospects them selves and doing their own medical analyses, or perhaps the combine turns into something that only does medicals and maybe interviews (so it dies as a media event).

Whatever the future holds the NFL will be hyper-aware of the problems and I'm pretty sure they will do something. The question is, what ?

42 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

Safeties have to get their nose dirty way more often than cbs. So money aside, cb is kind of an easier life imo. 

I've done no research to support this statement, but this is how I feel.

On your second contract, a meh to decent corner makes more than a meh to decent safety.

Riddick knows ball. He was all over the Brooks pick last year for us. I've always found him to be a pretty good judge of prospects.

Barton is growing on me as one of my top choices at 25. Don't care if he's an IOL. He can player G and backup OT this season and could replace Myers at C next year if needed.

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Yeah, I've thought this through as well and, as you say, there is no easy answer here. It may be that the combine as-is dies, replaced by individual teams working out prospects them selves and doing their own medical analyses, or perhaps the combine turns into something that only does medicals and maybe interviews (so it dies as a media event).

Whatever the future holds the NFL will be hyper-aware of the problems and I'm pretty sure they will do something. The question is, what ?

With the evolution of on field metrics, teams can get 40 speeds and agility watching tape.

At least, they should be. 

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Riccick knows ball. He was all over the Brooks pick last year for us. I've always found him to be a pretty good judge of prospects.

Barton is growing on me as one of my top choices at 25. Don't care if he's an IOL. He can player G and backup OT this season and could replace Myers at C next year if needed.

Yeah, he's one of those guys that Packers will be all about.  At #25 he might be a solid bargain .. especially if he can win a starting job in GB somewhere.  Nubin still makes a lot of sense too if they think he's got enough range.  He'd start from day one at a position of serious need.  I could see the Packers trading down a bit.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Sure they do. There's huge groups of paste eaters who make it their entire point in life and want nothing more than to be completely surrounded by people who like eating paste exactly like they do.

See this is the difference between us.  I don't care if you eat paste.  Just don't tell me that I have to also eat paste to appease you.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Riccick knows ball. He was all over the Brooks pick last year for us. I've always found him to be a pretty good judge of prospects.

I think it is a smart pick, and a good pick.  But it is god damn boring.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Looking at all the players that are refusing to do combine stuff the situation as it is, is ridiculous. 

It's really just the continuation of a long term trend that reflects "players whose college resume is strong enough to justify a high pick really don't need to do anything else to convince teams to pick them high."  Like for a long time the top guys didn't go to the Senior Bowl, then the top guys don't play in their bowl games, and now the top guys don't do anything at the combine.  The new thing this year is that Marvin Harrison Jr. isn't even going to run at his pro day.

We keep going further down this path because the NFL, probably rationally, does not punish guys for this sort of thing.  Like Jamar Chase sat out an entire season and he still went in the top 5.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Exactly my thinking as well. Were they to take him at #25 if he is still on the board, you are not exactly drafting just an OG or C (something that is not the Packers M.O. in round 1), you're drafting a versatile OLineman who can play all 5 spots sufficiently, if not exceptionally. 

• Like 1

Per profootballtalk:

Of the 321 players invited, here’s how many did each of the six Combine tests:

230 did the vertical.
222 did the broad jump.
220 did the 40-yard dash.
89 did the shuttle.
77 did the three-cone drill.
72 did the bench press.

The only fix to this is the NFL teams not drafting players with substantially incomplete testing.  Absent the consequence of being removed from draft boards there is little to be done as there's little adverse consequence to not participating.    Since NFL teams won't take that route, the participation trend is not going to go the way the NFL wants unless they start compensating all participants - and even that carrot will have limited excitement for the projected top 1-3 rnd players

5 hours ago, spilltray said:

It reminds me of Aaron Curry. Multiple people swore he was such a beast he could play either type of LB, off ball or edge.

Turned out he wasn't good at either.

He reminds ME of Charles Woodson and Rod Woodson and Darren Woodson and Malcolm Jenkins and Devin McCourty and Antrelle Rolle and ........

3 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

Per profootballtalk:

Of the 321 players invited, here’s how many did each of the six Combine tests:

230 did the vertical.
222 did the broad jump.
220 did the 40-yard dash.
89 did the shuttle.
77 did the three-cone drill.
72 did the bench press.

The only fix to this is the NFL teams not drafting players with substantially incomplete testing.  Absent the consequence of being removed from draft boards there is little to be done as there's little adverse consequence to not participating.    Since NFL teams won't take that route, the participation trend is not going to go the way the NFL wants unless they start compensating all participants - and even that carrot will have limited excitement for the projected top 1-3 rnd players

They need to move agility testing before the on field drills. Doing them after is just stupid, I can see why they get skipped.