2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

Did this mock at nflmockdraftdatabsse:

(91)   Kris Abrams Draine - CB - Missouri

KAD is really little.  I obviously like him.  I would be very surprised if the Packers did.  Just FYI.

7 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I liked him until we brought back Dillon.  I think he would be totally redundant with Dillon on the team.  

I'm not sure Dillon is a lock to make the team.  Packers aren't out much of anything if they release him during camp.  Probably all depends on what the Packers add to the position at the draft.

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

Maybe he's a 4th or 5th round upgrade?

I guess he could be.  If I am building the RB room, I would like to add a scat back type to what we have.  We have 4 RBs currently.  They are all 220 or heavier.  Maybe a change of pace guy that is a little quicker can fill out the room.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I guess he could be.  If I am building the RB room, I would like to add a scat back type to what we have.  We have 4 RBs currently.  They are all 220 or heavier.  Maybe a change of pace guy that is a little quicker can fill out the room.

Yeah, I agree with this. I'm warming to the Shipley idea as well. 

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm not sure Dillon is a lock to make the team.  Packers aren't out much of anything if they release him during camp.  Probably all depends on what the Packers add to the position at the draft.

But would you re-sign him and then draft a direct replacement?  Like I can see us drafting say Brooks or Benson, and if Wilson has a great camp, letting Dillon go.  But I don't know why you would sign Dillon and then draft a not as good version of Dillon in that same draft.  Seems like a waste of resources to me.  The Packers have found some pretty good players in the 4th in recent years.

Dillon's primary value right now over any rookie would be his ability to pass protect. It's almost always something rookies struggle with and is something Dillon excels at. That's easily worth vet minimum and a roster spot on this team IMO. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Dillon's primary value right now over any rookie would be his ability to pass protect. It's almost always something rookies struggle with and is something Dillon excels at. That's easily worth vet minimum and a roster spot on this team IMO. 

And chemistry with love.

bucky irvin is my favorite to be our quicker back

2 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Jones was drafted by Thompson and McCarthy.    You aren't seeing those guys with Gute and MLF.  Its guys that can move the pile.  Dillon, Wilson, interest in Jonathan Taylor, Jacobs can be a workhorse.

Shipley could be fine for a dome team, but unless they change he doesn't fit what the Packers go for, at least since Gute has taken over.

I'd love to have a scatback back there, it's just not what the Packers do.  

Not to state the obvious, but Gute hasn't drafted a Jones type RB because he already had Jones on the roster. To suggest that the Packers don't do the types of things that Shipley does well is flat out wrong.

Is the University of Minnesota the worst school in history? That’s what people are saying after they refuse to let their players pro day numbers be made public knowledge.

Shipley as early as 91.

Edited by ChaRisMa

54 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Right, he has value to the team that most rookies won't bring. People thinking they signed him to cut him in TC are bumping around in the dark. Barring injury he will be on the 53 of the 2024 squad. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Agree, but up to this point Shipley would be the exception to what they've done in the past.  As I said earlier, I wouldnt be disappointed, but dont think theyll take him.

53 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Like they gave us the Honeycrisp (and the superior SweeTango) and in terms of "football success" they're miles ahead of Iowa State.

That's a low bar to clear. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

But would you re-sign him and then draft a direct replacement?  Like I can see us drafting say Brooks or Benson, and if Wilson has a great camp, letting Dillon go.  But I don't know why you would sign Dillon and then draft a not as good version of Dillon in that same draft.  Seems like a waste of resources to me.  The Packers have found some pretty good players in the 4th in recent years.

Packers are only on the hook for like 100k it they cut him loose.  I really think Dillon was almost begging to stay, and the Packers were prepared to move on, but decided to sign up under some special 4th year tender deal.  

Edited by {Family Ghost}

1 hour ago, R T said:

Right, he has value to the team that most rookies won't bring. People thinking they signed him to cut him in TC are bumping around in the dark. Barring injury he will be on the 53 of the 2024 squad. 

He has no vision or burst.  Great in pass pro fine.  No way is he a lock on the 53.  Packers will be bringing in plenty of competition in TC.  Probably take two in the draft and maybe an UDFA on top of it.  He's going to have to earn it this year.  He'll be battling for that #3 spot.