2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Darius Robinson, Missouri

I'm intrigued by him with our late 1st

I was too (see my first mock), but his combine kind of disappointed me a bit. Thought he'd be a little more freakish. I'm leaning more towards Chop now if we go pass rusher in the 1st. Lighter than we typically go but Hafley might want that bendy Wide-9 player and he meets Gute's "freak" athlete requirements for 1st rounders.

44 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Good to see. At least puts him back on the radar, although if given the choice, I think the Packers would prefer Nubin. Could see Kinchens as a guy in play at 58 maybe. 

Kam is a playmaker. Would love to add him to this secondary.  

41 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I was too (see my first mock), but his combine kind of disappointed me a bit. Thought he'd be a little more freakish. I'm leaning more towards Chop now if we go pass rusher in the 1st. Lighter than we typically go but Hafley might want that bendy Wide-9 player and he meets Gute's "freak" athlete requirements for 1st rounders.

I like him too (obviously), but with him I think it is a position of diminishing returns for us.  He pretty much plays the same position as Devonte Wyatt, Karl Brooks, and Colby Wooden.  Or is a less explosive version of Rashan Gary, LVN, or Preston.  He would certainly find a role on the team, but he is most likely going between 25 and 41, which means he is pick 25 for us.  Do we really need to use pick 25 to improve Colby Wooden?

If we go lineman, I want either a huge fat guy, or a fast speed guy to balance out what we already have.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thrILL! said:

PFF Mock simulator is pretty consistent with who’s available each time you try it but occasionally players will fall into your lap. 

1-25 DL Jer’Zhan Newton (A)

2-41 LB Payton Wilson (A)

2-58 EDGE Chris Braswell (A+)

3-88 RB Blake Corum (B+)

3-91 CB Max Melton (B)

First time I’ve seen Braswell fall to 58.  Brooks and Wright were gone by 88 so it was between Corum and Irving.  At 91, I went with Melton but was tempted to take S Calen Bullock out of USC. He needs to put on some weight bcuz he’s 6’3/190 and will need it esp in run defense.  But he’s versatile in coverage. 

Would be surprised if they drafted Melton with his brother on the roster as a fringe player. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, craig said:

I don't love the draft-QB idea much, as early as round 4.  Yeah, I know "Ron Wolf used to do it". But back then, they got an extra year of contract control, they had quarterback school, they practiced a lot, two-a-days, practices during the season, etc.  Plus they didn't block opposing scouts from practice.  There was much more opportunity to develop a guy; there was much more opportunity for an acquiring club to scout a guy; and with extra club control the trade value was much better for an acquiring team.  

Several valid points, but with the current PS rules I wouldn't be surprised to see more teams investing in QB's even when they are set at the position and keeping 3 QB's on the 53.   

11 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Kam is a playmaker. Would love to add him to this secondary.  

I didn't buy the 4.6s, I am not even sure I buy the 4.55s.  The highlight reel (yeah, I know) doesn't show a slow player, unless everyone in the ACC is super slow, which I don't believe.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRX3e9pj2Tk

Like, this isn't Carl Lewis, but at no time do I look at it and think "too slow." The bad workout did make me look again, and I am a bit less gung-ho, but I am still trusting my eyes over the stop watch on this one.  Are there any FSU, Clemson, or Louisville clips of players running away from him?  

14 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I didn't buy the 4.6s, I am not even sure I buy the 4.55s.  The highlight reel (yeah, I know) doesn't show a slow player, unless everyone in the ACC is super slow, which I don't believe.  

Like, this isn't Carl Lewis, but at no time do I look at it and think "too slow." The bad workout did make me look again, and I am a bit less gung-ho, but I am still trusting my eyes over the stop watch on this one.  Are there any FSU, Clemson, or Louisville clips of players running away from him?  

It wouldn't be the first time a player plays faster than his 40, and at any rate, 4.5 is more than good enough for going downhill and closing in on both ball carriers and bombs. If he plays even faster, that's a bonus.

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

For a post safety, anticipation is as important as elite speed. Xavier McKinney ran a 4.63, and he doesn't look slow when breaking on a ball. 

Wasn't that the Covid draft year?  Like the draft Goodell did from his basement?  I'm not sure any times from that draft season are really all that reliable since guys weren't getting the level of combine training that they normally do (all the gyms were closed) and there weren't any pro days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I don’t do research this time year but I do watch a ton of CFB during the season. I don’t take notes or anything like that but I do notice players who stand out.  Even tho this board swore up & down that he wasn’t any good, I knew Jordan Addison was a stud bcuz I watch P12 football (R.I.P.).  I knew Jace Turdburger was gonna bust bcuz I watch a lot of SEC football. Obviously that doesn’t always translate as we’ve all thought for sure certain players would be good in the NFL and didn’t or vice versa. 

I saw a few Miami games this season and remember Kinchens making Drake Maye’s life miserable. I remember Kam absolutely lighting up Keon Coleman on the sideline right before he could get to the goal line.  He balled out vs Texas A&M.  I saw some of the Clemson game and think he had a nice INT in that one.  I watched the 2nd half of the GA Tech game but only remember Cristobal ******* up at the end with time mgmt.

Anyway, Kam has great instincts, reads the QB’s eyes well, breaks on the ball quickly and takes good angles. IDGAF what his RAS score is, he plays fast when it matters. If Hafley is all about simplifying things so players can do just that, he could flourish with us. 

• Like 3

Aright I got a shortlist for each selection that I think will be accomplishable on draft day.

1.25 DB Cooper Dejean, CB Kool-Aid Mckinstry, G Jackson Powers-Johnson, G Jordan Morgan. I believe one of those four will be available. First choice would be Mustard, so that I have flexibility to draft either a S or CB later. Kool-Aid is a top 15 talent. JPJ a future Pro Bowl G and Morgan a potential All-Pro 4 spot OL.

2.41 LB Edgerrin Cooper, G Graham Barton, S Kam Kinchens, LB Payton Wilson (M), G Cooper Beebe. This pick is a wild card for me. I can see Cooper going round 1, possibly even to us. If Payton Wilson has a healthy NFL career he's the best in this class LB. Kinchens gets is my choice for Safety from this class. Barton would be a nice get at this point, and Beebe is a solid starting G for a worst case scenario.

2.58 CB Max Melton, LB Jeremiah Trotter jr., DL Kris Jenkins, S Tyler Nubin, RB Trey Benson, CB Jarrian Jones. Melton plays the ball in the air like his WR brother. Trotter the game seems slow for. Jenkins will be a multidimensional pro. Nubin a close 2 to Kinchens. Benson will play like Aaron Jones. Jarrian Jones reminding me of Adoree Jackson in coverage with that athleticism.

3.88/91 RB Will Shipley, CB Caelen Carson, CB Kris Abrams-Draine, DL Leonard Taylor, TE Ben Sinnott, S Cole Bishop, RB Braelon Allen, T Blake Fisher. Shipley's Pro Day brought him back to a stack of late 3rd round RBs. Carson a physical presence CB. KAD the opposite. Taylor I like to be mulidimenstional on DL. Sinnott if we're recreating Hjusicyck. Bishop if we haven't taken a S for the lack of limitations. Braelon Allen a plan D. Blake Fisher could return to junior year form where he'd be a top 10 pick.

4.126 G Mason McCormick, CB Elijah Jones, T Christian Jones, G Zak Zinter, DL Gabe Hall, LB Trevin Wallace. McCormick the high ceiling athlete that will need a moment. Elijah a schematic fit with some space to get better. Jones a tested T with tools. Zinter battle tested low floor. Hall a sure run rotation piece or better. Wallace has the tools too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vegas492 said:

You mention taking a guy with an injury....

The minute we re-signed Dillon, I thought that Brooks (RB) became a bigger possibility for us.

Like him, tore his ACL in Nov, he'll likely miss TC plus a chunk of the 24 season.  Might be a deal breaker for the Packers, but I like him.

Edited by NFLGURU

15 minutes ago, bleedforbucky said:

Can Tyler Guyton play LT? 

He has the tools to do so and by all accounts seems very coachable (his technique was improving from rep to rep during Senior Bowl 1-on-1s).  He's raw as hell and isn't someone you'd want starting right away but he has natural ability that can't be taught.

• Like 1