2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Body wise, he reminds me of Arik Armstead.  Armstead was a couple inches taller, while Robinson is a tad longer but similar Combine numbers supports that.  I just don't see a twitchy EDGE.  IF the Packers still ran a 3-4 or we didn't have enough 3T, I'd like him a LOT more.  Definitely wouldn't hate the pick by any means.

I was going to say exactly this. I immediately saw shades of Armstead but wasn't confident that was the right comparison. But that was the first name they popped in my head.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I tried to dig into that before.  Why exactly were we seemingly missing more in the third round than the fourth, when the very nature of the draft should usually have earlier picks being better, especially when averaged over a long enough time period.  I never was really satisfied with any result, for every pattern found, there was a big exception that kind of blows it up.  Some had lower RAS than our typical picks, but were good college players, but Oren Burks blows both of those criteria out by himself.  I think Khyri Thronton was projected to be good, but was hurt, a lot.  It could be that around pick 80 or so, you get less of a bottleneck of players.  So while the difference between pick 1 and pick 20 is pretty great, the difference between pick 80 and pick 140 isn't that drastic.  The Packers just happened to select the wrong ones.  For example, 2014 third rounder, Richard Rodgers was pick 98, while 2013 fourth rounder, David Bakhtiari was pick 109.  That is only 11 picks difference, but quite the difference in ROI.

It may also be that we haven't historically been that bad at drafting 3rd rounders anyway.  We just had a string of:  Monty Adams, Oren Burks, Jace Sternberger, Josiah Deguara, Amari Rodgers, and Sean Rhyan's disastrous rookie season in consecutive seasons.  Previous (rather recent) third round contributors were Morgan Burnett, James Jones, Richard Rodgers, Kyler Fackrell.  Not a list of dominant players for sure, but decent enough returns.  

Thornton and Deguara are the proof that we've been using the 3rd round to draft guys for experimental or theoretical purposes. Thornton was supposed to be this 3-gapper who was supposed to collapse the pocket. When we let him go, New England swooped in and grabbed him and tried something similar to no avail. Deguara was drafted simply to serve as a powerful H-back in certain formations. The emboldened part is why I've hated our strategy in the 3rd: we draft in the 4th because we expect guys to develop, grow, and become starters, yet we're taking fliers the round before; why? Make it make sense to me; especially when the 4th round is viewed as a place to grab that guy with a 2nd round grade who slipped for whatever reason.

Seems silly to think when / what round a player gets drafted has any impact/ influence on how good that player becomes.

If the player isn't a very good NFL player, what round he gets drafted isn't going to change his talent level.

Deguara being drafted in the 3rd round and not being very good wouldn't have changed if he had been drafted in any other round.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Rosser80 said:

Thornton and Deguara are the proof that we've been using the 3rd round to draft guys for experimental or theoretical purposes. Thornton was supposed to be this 3-gapper who was supposed to collapse the pocket. When we let him go, New England swooped in and grabbed him and tried something similar to no avail. Deguara was drafted simply to serve as a powerful H-back in certain formations. The emboldened part is why I've hated our strategy in the 3rd: we draft in the 4th because we expect guys to develop, grow, and become starters, yet we're taking fliers the round before; why? Make it make sense to me; especially when the 4th round is viewed as a place to grab that guy with a 2nd round grade who slipped for whatever reason.

This isn't how draft boards work. They don't categorize players by "type" and target specific types in specific rounds.

It's a tiered list.

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

This isn't how draft boards work. They don't categorize players by "type" and target specific types in specific rounds.

It's a tiered list.

I think you misunderstood my post. We weren't looking for a "type," we were drafting based on traits on how they would fit a specific role. For example, Thornton's strength was his leverage which, in theory, was supposed to draw a lot of attention in an odd front to free up EDGE rushers. Again, Deguara was drafted to fill a specific role based on traits. 

Edited by Rosser80

18 minutes ago, Rosser80 said:

I think you misunderstood my post. We weren't looking for a "type," we were drafting based on traits on how they would fit a specific role. For example, Thornton's strength was his leverage which, in theory, was supposed to draw a lot of attention in an odd front to free up EDGE rushers. Again, Deguara was drafted to fill a specific role based on traits. 

I don't think I misunderstood what you said. I think you're pivoting on what you originally said.  

"Thornton and Deguara are the proof that we've been using the 3rd round to draft guys for experimental or theoretical purposes"

My point is that this is not "3rd round thing". 

As for the role of the 3rd round.  Traditionally teams come into a draft with a list of positions that they *must* fill with quality prospects who have the potential to play in year one.  Usually the third round is the last time you can get those kinds of guys, so if you think "we need a DT" or "we need a safety" then the third round is when you take whoever's left that you have a draftable grade on.

You end up in the position to take marginal players in the third because you got value with your earlier picks.

6 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

It may also be that we haven't historically been that bad at drafting 3rd rounders anyway.  We just had a string of:  Monty Adams, Oren Burks, Jace Sternberger, Josiah Deguara, Amari Rodgers, and Sean Rhyan's disastrous rookie season in consecutive seasons.  Previous (rather recent) third round contributors were Morgan Burnett, James Jones, Richard Rodgers, Kyler Fackrell.  Not a list of dominant players for sure, but decent enough returns.  

Can you believe Monty Adams is still in the league?  Just signed a modest deal with PIT.  Didn't pan out for GB at all, but heading into his 8th season in the league, it's hard to say he is a terrible player.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

As for the role of the 3rd round.  Traditionally teams come into a draft with a list of positions that they *must* fill with quality prospects who have the potential to play in year one.  Usually the third round is the last time you can get those kinds of guys, so if you think "we need a DT" or "we need a safety" then the third round is when you take whoever's left that you have a draftable grade on.

You end up in the position to take marginal players in the third because you got value with your earlier picks.

The crazy part of this is that there are probably many fans that think like this, teams aren't making grocery lists before the draft.  

Regarding the 3rd round, I do agree this is when we take more risks when choosing a prospect.

The first two rounds generally require four ingredients, Young, Character, High Production and RAS of 8.0 or greater. It's after that we start giving more leeway with our parameters.

I think they begin to sacrifice college production and/or RAS at this point in the draft. They also take risks on someone who offers something unique but ultimately ends up being just a tweener. For example Rodgers has a RB body at WR....you could see him carving out a Deebo Samuel type role. Deguara with a Juszczyk role too. You can see the LaFleur influence, this might be the round where head coaches have more of a say when it comes to filling roster holes.

Rodgers has a RAS of 5.35
Sternburger has a RAS of 5.17

They're some of our worst RAS drafted prospects in recent draft history which happens to be in the 3rd round.

If I remember correctly all three I named only have one year of good college production. That's the other aspect of the risks they take in the 3rd round.

Perhaps we also start chasing need instead of BPA.

Lots of various little things have affected our 3rd round selections as the Packers have been incredibly experimental and clearly it has not worked.

The good news is that in the last two drafts we're not taking as many risks. They have managed to stick to their four ingredients by drafting Kraft and Rhyan. Rhyan was a bit wobbly for a while there but it seems he's back on track. Kraft was just a utterly perfect fit and probably our best 3rd round selection in years.

Edited by Chili