2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

51 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

I agree with that. Do you have a slight preference for either one?

I'd say option 1 is easier to achieve because option 2 could well require a trade-up, which is never a sure thing. As for preference, I'd call them pretty even. If forced to choose, my ideal would probably be DeJean / (ILB Cooper) / Amegadjie.

Discarding the above options, on the tricky who-to-get-at-ILB question I quite like the pairing of Trotter at 88/91 (undersized ILB but can fly and would be excellent in coverage) and the bigger, less athletic, but very instinctive Eichenberg at 126, as a true Mike doing the dirty work. If the Packers didn't go this route I'd like Colson at 58 as a Mike and would still like Trotter at 88/91.

Walker/Colson/Trotter or Walker/Eichenberg/Trotter would give the ILB room a lot more juice than it has now, and ILB does need bodies with more talent there.

As for Cooper and Wilson, the injuries to Wilson in college would scare me off and I have heard of some possible character concerns with Cooper, though I couldn't tell you where I heard them, now, so that might be nothing.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Possibly my perfect 4 rounds scenario is giving up a third to move up to 19/20 for CB Quinyon Mitchell, then getting C/G/T Barton (41), S Bullard (58), ILB Trotter (91), ILB Eichenberg (126).

Equally good is staying put and taking CB/S DeJean (25), IOL Barton (41), OT Amegadjie (58), S Bishop (88), ILB Gray (91), slot CB J.Jones (126).

I don't expect Barton to be there at 41, but you never know.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

Brugler's Mock for GB (The Athletic)

1 (25). Jackson Powers-Johnson, OG/C, Oregon
2 (41). Darius Robinson, DL, Missouri
2 (58). Edgerrin Cooper, LB, Texas A&M
3 (88). Calen Bullock, S, USC
3 (91). Caedan Wallace, OT, Penn State
4 (126). Ray Davis, RB, Kentucky
5 (169). Elijah Jones, CB, Boston College
6 (202). Ty’Ron Hopper, LB, Missouri
6 (219). Ryan Watts, CB/S, Texas
7 (245). Tulu Griffin, WR, Mississippi State
7 (255). Nick Gargiulo, OT/C, South Carolina

In RD1 between 20-24 he had Barton, Mims, Guyton and DeJean all going off the board.  Ouch.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

In RD1 between 20-24 he had Barton, Mims, Guyton and DeJean all going off the board.  Ouch.

Damn Wallace has moved up. Bleacher report has him as a 4th round prospect now too. Definitely different from when I was looking into him a few weeks ago.

11 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I mean, I am not shedding tears for anyone else.  I'm just looking at the Vikings draft capital, and that looks like a worst case scenario where they don't get the trade up that they wanted and then blow both first round picks to boot.  

That would be so delicious .. looking forward to that.

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

JPJ is probably my least favorite OL in that range. I don't love the idea of an IOL in the first in general, and I just don't think he's an elite enough prospect to mitigate that. He's probably a C only who would be better suited to an old school power run offense than the modern NFL.

15 hours ago, Scoremore said:

You and Vegas dissing my boy.  Fighting words your dirty rats.   Dude can play and he proved it.  You don't think he could come in and immediately start for the Patriots?  I do.  Bothers me when guys are discounted because of their draft status.  See the same thing going on with Walker.  It doesn't matter where they were taken.  Can't let it color your judgement.  When Melton got his opportunity he was lights out.  Hopefully he'll get more opportunities this year but will be tough to get on the field with Watson, Reed, Wicks, and Doubs in front of him.  

5'11" runs a 4.34 40.  Ras 9.29.  Good hands.  Nice run after the catch ability.  If he was a 2nd rounder you guys would be singing a different tune. 

Yes, he can play.  He just can't play good enough to beat out a 5th round draft pick, 4th round draft pick or two second round draft picks.

And he's going to have to compete hard to keep his #5 WR status away from an UDFA and a 7'th round pick.

For the record?  I think he will do it.  He will remain WR5.  When injury happens, he will get some snaps.  He will contribute.

14 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Production is backwards looking. This is footballs future.

Almost always fans are wayyyyyy behind reality when discussing "who is better now" because they rely almost exclusively on stats. Which necessarily happened in the past. 

Production is wildly overrated when gauging who is better today.

Gross Bleh GIF - Gross Bleh Nope - Discover & Share GIFs

14 hours ago, squire12 said:

it was a small sample size, but Bo Melton was very effective with  2.79 yards per route run. 

Melton would have a chance to start/be a consistent snap WR (3rd WR) on BUF, NE, NYJ, Pitt, TEN, INDY, JAX, KC, LV, LAC, DEN, NYG, MIN, CHI, NO, CAR, ARI

He can have the chance to start and be a consistent snap WR on every team.

Doesn't mean he will succeed.  Which?  After this draft happens, gets a whole lot more difficult.

But hey, if he is that valuable, we should trade him and get a second round pick for him.  Contract is great, he's young and he's produced at a high level when given opportunity.  I'm shocked we haven't moved him yet with all those WR needy teams out there.

5 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Personally I'm not in favour of taking a first round pick to be a depth guy at Tackle or Corner as I got my starters locked in. 

I'm always of the belief that the Packers will be around as a franchise for more than the following year, so I'm more concerned about adding long-term talent to the team than the immediate snap count.

It's possible any first round pick regardless of position will be a depth guy.    Safety is the only spot absolutely screaming for a new starter to pair with McKinney.   Nobody is coming in to start at RB, TE, WR, QB, DL for sure.   CB, Linebacker and OL all have the same level of experienced talent that one would be okay with starting, but also would be okay with upgrading.    Walker/Rhyan on the OL, Valentine/Stokes at CB, McDuffie/Wilson at linebacker.     Injuries are going to happen in the NFL, as does the possible risk of regression for a player like Walker or Valentine (ie: Stokes).   

It's possible the Packers feel they hit on something last year and will rotate players on the line during games?  Maybe that wasn't a one-year trend.   Maybe they feel like they were keeping guys fresh and developing additional talent/competition in game.    Doubtful, but I won't dismiss it at this point

Yosh Nijman played 231 offensive snaps and 108 special teams snaps in the regular season, that's roughly 1/3rd the total snaps of Rasheed Walker.   He had to play 26 snaps or 39% of our offensive snaps in the Playoff game against the 49ers in replacement of Tom.   I would feel really great knowing that our core offensive unit is deep enough to have a 1st round pick ready to step in anytime -or- if he's already won the job outright, have an experienced player like Walker available to step in.   

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Meh. 

Don't think JPJ is on the Packers' radar, especially at 25. 

The 2nd round picks are fine.

Settling for Calen Bullock at safety is a major fail. First of all, he's probably the worst choice in the class for a guy to pair with McKinney who we already know is the "post/free safety" in this defense. Bullock can't tackle and frankly puts in zero effort to try. Hard pass on him. 

Wallace is okay but I think he's there in the 4th round. Up and down player at PSU. Don't hate the pick. 

I like Elijah Jones but he's going to be a 25-year old rookie. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Barton vs DeJean. Both sitting there at 25, who do you take?

If you don't take Barton what kind of RG are we getting later in the draft?

If we don't take DeJean what kind of Safety are we getting later in the draft?

It's DeJean all day long.

Who else are we getting at RG?  Morgan, Hayes, McCormick, Beebe, Zinter, Bartolinni  (Assumed that we have no shot at JPJ or Frazer)

Who else at safety?  Bullard, Bullocks, DDT, Hicks, Mustapha, Bishop  (assuming Nubin goes earlier and we have no interest in Kinchen.)

The safety crop is not as impressive to me as the guard crop.  

I know we will covet Barton because of position flexibility, but as a pure guard, I'm not sold that he's better than some of the guys I listed.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Kind of looks like another "worst case scenario" for how the first round falls.  But man, those first 4 players would be just fantastic.

Darius Robinson is one of my "dark horse" first round guys for GB.  Getting him in the second while still getting Cooper in the second would cause me to, to.....well, it would cause me to want to do a cartwheel into a backflip, but instead of that, I'd pour some expensive bourbon into a glass and just enjoy it.  Because life would be oh so good in that moment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

meh

If they took 2 OL in the first 3 rounds and that is what they came away with that would be disappointing. All the good Safeties in that 3rd round range and taking Bullock would also be disappointing. And of course, at some point they need to take a little WR to do a little trolling. I'd grade that draft fairly low compared to many others that show up here. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, spilltray said:

JPJ is probably my least favorite OL in that range. I don't love the idea of an IOL in the first in general, and I just don't think he's an elite enough prospect to mitigate that. He's probably a C only who would be better suited to an old school power run offense than the modern NFL.

I wouldn't love it, but if things fell this way I'd have to assume Gute/MLF really like JPJ for what the Packers do with their IOL.  If they don't feel that way, he won't be the pick.

Maybe they'd immediately slot JPJ at C, but I'd expect JPJ/Myers/Rhyan to compete at RG while JPJ/Myers compete at C to find the best combination for those spots.  Leaving Tom and Walker in place while adding OT depth in RD3 wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

33 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Yes, he can play.  He just can't play good enough to beat out a 5th round draft pick, 4th round draft pick or two second round draft picks.

And he's going to have to compete hard to keep his #5 WR status away from an UDFA and a 7'th round pick.

For the record?  I think he will do it.  He will remain WR5.  When injury happens, he will get some snaps.  He will contribute.

Quoting draft status.  Doesn't matter.  Doubs and Wicks both have seriously outperformed.  As for trading Melton think maybe he could fetch a 4th.  Best case scenario.  Only reason being his sample size isn't large enough yet.  Actually have a feeling he'll be a Packer for a long time.  We won't be able to resign some of these guys when their contracts are up.  We should be able to retain Melton for a somewhat reasonable contract.  

Supposed to be an extremely deep WR draft this year.  Most teams should be able to fill this need in the draft.  Yes it will make trading one of our WR very difficult this year.  However, some of those WR's will bust out.  So we'll see.  If we trade a WR it will probably be next year.  They will have 1 year left on their contract.  Doubs would probably be the guy.  Hate to see it tho.  But we won't be able to pay him. 

Edited by Scoremore