2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

15 minutes ago, R T said:

meh

If they took 2 OL in the first 3 rounds and that is what they came away with that would be disappointing. All the good Safeties in that 3rd round range and taking Bullock would also be disappointing. And of course, at some point they need to take a little WR to do a little trolling. I'd grade that draft fairly low compared to many others that show up here. 

I think you'll be surprised when the group of safeties we like go. I don't see Hicks, Bishop, Bullard or DTD making it passed pick 75. I think the media board overrates Nubin, Kinchens, Bullock, Vaki. The four above have equally as good of tape, and they also confirmed they're high level NFL athletes and can be trusted with more versatile assignments than the "consensus" top safeties. 

In this case, I think Brugler takes two luxury picks in JPJ and Robinson, if we want one safety and one LB by end of day 2, we really only have room for 1.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, R T said:

meh

If they took 2 OL in the first 3 rounds and that is what they came away with that would be disappointing. All the good Safeties in that 3rd round range and taking Bullock would also be disappointing. And of course, at some point they need to take a little WR to do a little trolling. I'd grade that draft fairly low compared to many others that show up here. 

FWIW - These were the S that went prior to GB taking Bullock at 88

Hicks (47)
Bullard (53)
Bishop (60)
Nubin (72)
Taylor-Demerson (82)
Kinchens (86)

1 minute ago, Scoremore said:

Back quoting draft status.  Doesn't matter.  Doubs and Wicks both have seriously outperformed.  As for trading Melton think maybe he could fetch a 4th.  Best case scenario.  Only reason being his sample size isn't large enough yet.  Actually have a feeling he'll be a Packer for a long time.  We won't be able to resign some of these guys when their contracts are up.  We should be able to retain Melton for a somewhat reasonable contract.  

Supposed to be an extremely deep WR draft this year.  Most teams should be able to fill this need in the draft.  Yes it will make trading one of our WR very difficult this year.  However, some of those WR's will bust out.  So we'll see.  If we trade a WR it will probably be next year.  They will have 1 year left on their contract.  Doubs would probably be the guy.  Hate to see it tho.  But we won't be able to pay him. 

Melton has a Jeff Janis sample size right now.

We can pay anyone.  It isn't a question of if we can pay, you (and I and everyone else) knows it is a question of who you should pay.

Melton play specials?  Like, do you know if he can return?  If he sticks around, big if, he needs to play specials.  With that speed, you'd think he could return.  If we see that happening in camp, cross training there, it moves up a notch in my book.

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

We can pay anyone.  It isn't a question of if we can pay, you (and I and everyone else) knows it is a question of who you should pay.

Melton play specials?  Like, do you know if he can return?  If he sticks around, big if, he needs to play specials.  With that speed, you'd think he could return.  If we see that happening in camp, cross training there, it moves up a notch in my book.

I am pretty sure that Melton can return.  However, I don't think he is as good at it as Reed or Nixon.

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Yah was thinking they may try him out at PR.  Yes we can pay anyone but we can't pay them all.  So we'll have a choice pay Watson or pay Doubs.  Way I see it.  Wouldn't have seen it as an issue until recently.  Subpar WR's getting 20 mil/yr plus.  All it takes is one. 

We'll be able to lock down one or the other.  Watson has the greater upside and if he can stay healthy he'll be the one to get the second contract.  WR market is screwed.  Going forward Watson and Reed will be our highly paid WR's.  Other guys will have to be on rookie contracts.  Like I said earlier maybe we can keep Melton on a reasonable deal.  We'll probably lose Doubs and Wicks.  Thinking both could be trade candidates before their contracts are up. 

17 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I am pretty sure that Melton can return.  However, I don't think he is as good at it as Reed or Nixon.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/bo-melton-1.html#all_kick_ret

Well, maybe not.  He had 11 kick off returns and 5 punt returns in 5 college seasons.  I would be a liar if I even pretended to know whether Rutgers had better return options in those years, but he didn't do a whole lot of it.

31 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Yah was thinking they may try him out at PR.  Yes we can pay anyone but we can't pay them all.  So we'll have a choice pay Watson or pay Doubs.  Way I see it.  Wouldn't have seen it as an issue until recently.  Subpar WR's getting 20 mil/yr plus.  All it takes is one. 

We'll be able to lock down one or the other.  Watson has the greater upside and if he can stay healthy he'll be the one to get the second contract.  WR market is screwed.  Going forward Watson and Reed will be our highly paid WR's.  Other guys will have to be on rookie contracts.  Like I said earlier maybe we can keep Melton on a reasonable deal.  We'll probably lose Doubs and Wicks.  Thinking both could be trade candidates before their contracts are up. 

With the way our QB spread the ball around last year.....it is likely that some of them won't get the stats or recognition that will earn them large second contracts.  Wouldn't shock me if we get 3 of the 4 back.

But...same breath, next year I have little doubt that we will look to draft a WR or two, just to prepare.

Yah especially if we have continued success.  Teams are going to be looking to poach our guys.  If we could keep 3 out of 4 I'd be ecstatic.  Agree next year we'll be looking to draft replacments.  Be nice if we could get some decent draft capital rather than just letting one of these guys walk.  Good point about spreading the ball around.  Thought about that too but teams will recognize this.  

3 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Shoot, in a lot of the sims that I run, Sinnott that late is not a thing that happens.  I don't think it is a reach at all.

His O/U is 64 1/2 and I personally think he goes before the 64 1/2. I think Packers fans would completely freakout, but I would be very cool if they took him at 58. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Shoot, in a lot of the sims that I run, Sinnott that late is not a thing that happens.  I don't think it is a reach at all.

Has a nice highlight reel. Looks like a big RB out there. Would be a nice replacement for 81 and compliment to our passing game. I approve :)

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Melton played some special teams in 2023.  He did return kicks some at Rutgers.