Stalking Rodgers

Brit Pack

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Are you seriously saying we shouldn't have taken the really good pass rusher?

Relitigating the 2019 draft is weird, since if you're saying that you would have rather taken an offensive weapon than Rashan Gary.  Well, the only pass catcher drafted between Gary and Savage was Noah Fant.  The eight picks between Gary and Savage were 3 DTs, 2 IOL, 1QB, 1 Edge, and 1 TE.   There were only two offensive weapons period drafted before Savage (and they were both Iowa TEs.)

Plus the obvious wrong pick in that draft was Sternberger over McLaurin.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Plus the obvious wrong pick in that draft was Sternberger over McLaurin.

Without knocking the last breath from that horse, that move might have altered so many things down the line concerning Rodgers, Adams and the perception of the f/o.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I occasionally forget that the left end of the bell curve on this forum thinks in fantasy football terms. 

There are 25ish guys that play regular snaps on a football team. 

WR is not a high priority position. Especially not #2 or #3 receiver. 

It is what I think when I read every one of his posts. When they have big opinions and their depth of knowledge of football comes from fantasy football that is what you get. A near top 5 OL for a decade straight means nothing to them, it is all about who the number two and three WR's are and where they were drafted. Everyone knows that is how you win your fantasy league. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, turf toe said:

yep we just didn't try hard enough concerning receivers, and TE's tend to take a few years, so Sternberger wasn't going to be much help when we drafted him either, not getting OBJ because we low balled him is chronic Packer front office when it comes to UFA WR's.

I didn't see where Rodgers gushed over MVS, but his speed is a valuable commodity to have, but it's not as though MVS is a technically proficient WR, he just runs fast.

right now we have the talent at the position that we havn't had in the last 8 seasons, I know you'll counter with what about Adams, well imho it is better to have 2 or 3 good to very good, then it is one really great one, much harder for a defense to defend.

whatever I'am no GM, and don't want to give the impression I know any where near what they do, I just would have done this differently.

We are not all that part on the viewpoint concerning the front office and the WR room.  We differ more on the drafts and what GB did versus what could have been with a WR.  And that's fine.  I get your point, totally.

I'm not going to counter anything you say about the talent at he position right now compared to the last 8, or to whenever 'Vante broke through as an elite WR.

I feel like the talent level with Doubs and Watson is crazy good.  Toure has a "James Jones" level of talent in him.  That's pretty darned nice.  I'm unsure of what Wicks and Reed really have......but on the surface, those guys each have some elite traits.  Looks like our rookie TE's both have a lot of talent.  Yeah, I'm excited about the raw talent in the WR room.  

I also would have done things differently.  Namely I would have given OBJ what he needed to come to GB.  But only as a rental.  The only spot I see where we could have drafted a (now) good WR was the Savage spot.  

And now I'm really, really disappointed in myself as this is another example of how the internet chat is NOT supposed to work!

11 hours ago, LLcheesehead12 said:

Well I'll say this, Rodgers literally said Love was a great one on national TV just a little while ago.  As much as some dislike him, I at least get the sense he's had no hostilities towards Green Bay since leaving.

I get that sense, too.  He's wanted out for a while.  Enough "good" happened to keep him around, but really he was a guy who needed a change of scenery.  And he got his wish, as did GB.

Godspeed, Aaron Rodgers.  May you play in 11+ games this year!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Did I say "irrelevant" or did I say "not a high priority position". 

Those are two vastly different things. 

55 rostered players, 53 active, 48 dress for games.

Put a number on "irrelevant" and a number on "not a high priority position"- Say QB is #1 of 48- where do WR2 and WR3 rank in priority with regards to their impact on winning/losing?

On 8/3/2023 at 9:19 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

I occasionally forget that the left end of the bell curve on this forum thinks in fantasy football terms. 

There are 25ish guys that play regular snaps on a football team. 

WR is not a high priority position. Especially not #2 or #3 receiver. 

and the right bell curve thinks like you, QB,WR, OLB, and CB are the 4 most important positions, maybe add in LT, if you skimp on any the team struggles.

I bet your under the delusion that defense wins Championships too.

fantasy football, is that a joke?  

15 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Did I say "irrelevant" or did I say "not a high priority position". 

Those are two vastly different things. 

doesn't matter, look around the league, the best teams have more then just one good receiver.

your just defending the insane team building thats went on here prior to the last two drafts

On 8/4/2023 at 9:51 AM, vegas492 said:

I get that sense, too.  He's wanted out for a while.  Enough "good" happened to keep him around, but really he was a guy who needed a change of scenery.  And he got his wish, as did GB.

Godspeed, Aaron Rodgers.  May you play in 11+ games this year!

I think he asked for as trade after the 2018 season, and Murphy gave him another 120 mil to stick around, but I can't confirm that, but he still had 2 years left on his old deal, whatever, your right it is time to change, good for us, hopefully, and good for him, hope he does well enough, and poor enough, to get us a good pick in next years draft.

4 hours ago, turf toe said:

I think he asked for as trade after the 2018 season, and Murphy gave him another 120 mil to stick around, but I can't confirm that, but he still had 2 years left on his old deal, whatever, your right it is time to change, good for us, hopefully, and good for him, hope he does well enough, and poor enough, to get us a good pick in next years draft.

It was after the 2020 season, and he was a bit upset because the Packers had let Jordy, Cobb and a few other of his former teammates go despite those guys willingness to take pay cuts.  So hence we brought back Cobb for the last two years to placate him a little.

And even I have to agree a little with the sentiments there because Gute definitely has so far made a habit of trying to be ultra cheap with the WRs and he'd better hope that doesn't come back to bite him in the *** this year.  I mean I get it that once their rookie contracts are up, some of them like MVS get swooped up on the open market for numbers that exceed their value, but Gute seems to have a bottom low price for vet WRs that he never will negotiate on.  That's bad and he should be fired if he refuses to pay Watson when the time comes.

25 minutes ago, LLcheesehead12 said:

I mean I get it that once their rookie contracts are up, some of them like MVS get swooped up on the open market for numbers that exceed their value, but Gute seems to have a bottom low price for vet WRs that he never will negotiate on.  That's bad and he should be fired if he refuses to pay Watson when the time comes.

Who was the last WR coming off a rookie contract that GB didn't re-sign that was worthy of said contract?