2023 Rookie Minicamp / OTAs / Training Camp

Leader

18 hours ago, Spartacus said:

Looks like Musgrave is showing out in OTAs so far. I know there is a contingent that likes Tucker Kraft more but Musgrave it going to be the real deal. Count on it. 

Pre-draft I was a big Darnell Washington guy. 

When you see the way the two move, I’m confident we made the right choice . I think Luke is going to be a weapon. Washington is a great blocker, but I don’t see him being a good receiver. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

When you see the way the two move, I’m confident we made the right choice . I think Luke is going to be a weapon. Washington is a great blocker, but I don’t see him being a good receiver. 

Darnell Washington was my #5 TE behind Kincaid, Mayer, LaPorta, & Musgrave. IMO he should have been closer to Tucker Kraft in positioning and I don't even think picking Kraft ahead of him would have been crazy. IDK why but I just saw old Mercedes Lewis in his game. Probably a great blocker who will hang around the league for 10 to 15 years as a #2 TE and maybe a redzone target but I don't see the upside you want in the first 2 rounds. That was before the injury so now i'm not even sure if I would take him over Kraft or Schoonmaker. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Bubba Franks

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Old Guy said:

...I'm hoping, maybe wishful thinking, that Sean Rhyan gets his act together and at least pushes Runyan. The kid was only 21 years old last season. He's still got a chance to grow into this NFL deal. 

Turns 23 the week after opener.  The transition from tackle to guard, or from left side to right, isn't always easy or immediate.  So agree, too soon to know how he ends up. 

Improvement by young o-linemen is crucial.  2nd-year jump is sometimes real, but we all know it's often insufficient.  Who knows with Rhyan?   We'll hope, wait and see.  Ideally Runyan and Rhyan **both** improve.  Runyan enough to play fine as starter and hold his tenured spot; Rhyan good enough to push Runyan, or to next-man-up with no decline. 

Packer o-line has had so many injuries and shuffles in recent years.  It would be so nice to both have relative stability, but also to have the second-line guys improving so much that next-man-up can really be ready.  

4 hours ago, craig said:

Long guys, there are lots of legs to grab.  Breaking a tackle is only an issue if he's successfully caught a pass.  Tackle-breaking seems a low priority to me.  If that's his only weakness, that bodes well.  

He was my number 2 behind Kincaid because he's just so fricken talented. This broken tackle "issue" is a joke for a talent at his ability level.

2 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I was real young when he played and was always disappointed by his receiving numbers. Was he considered an elite level blocker ?

He was a good blocker. I'm not sure he was elite. He had a stretch of 4 years where he was an excellent red zone/end zone target. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FranBu00.htm

• Like 1

Kudos to Andy Herman for giving us a little something from OTA's, as for the Packers beat writers Ryan Wood and Tom Silverstein, they gave nothing. Wood has become the equivalent of t*ts on a boar pig. 

Edited by R T
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, R T said:

Kudos to Andy Herman for giving us a little something from OTA's, as for the Packers beat writers Ryan Wood and Tom Silverstein, they gave nothing. Wood has become the equivalent of t*ts on a boar pig. 

Ya but I can read their tweets about their writers strike and parent duties which is really what I follow them for anyway. I just Hope they’re start telling me their political opinions on twitter more frequently too so I can really get the content I follow them for. 

• Like 1

Considering Jordan Love was QB1 all of OTAs last year, and then at least half the 2022 in-season practices while Aaron Rodgers dealt with rib and hand injuries, he's probably had more reps with Christian Watson and Romeo Doubs than Rodgers at this point.

Yes. 

Edited by Brat&Beer
  • Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 4:50 PM, Zycho32 said:

Makes one think of the days of Keith Jackson and Mark Chmura.

How so?

To me they are more like  DJ Williams and Ryan Taylor in that they are rookies drafted in the same year.

To my knowledge, they both wanted to be here, as opposed to Jackson.  Neither have his resume.  Or really his skill.

To my knowledge, ...well....insert whatever Chmura joke you want.  Hot tubs.  High school girl.....etc.  Except that Chewie was very talented and had a lot of NFL success.

I still long for the days of competent TE play.  We aren't there yet.  But at least there is hope with those two.

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

How so?

To me they are more like  DJ Williams and Ryan Taylor in that they are rookies drafted in the same year.

To my knowledge, they both wanted to be here, as opposed to Jackson.  Neither have his resume.  Or really his skill.

To my knowledge, ...well....insert whatever Chmura joke you want.  Hot tubs.  High school girl.....etc.  Except that Chewie was very talented and had a lot of NFL success.

I still long for the days of competent TE play.  We aren't there yet.  But at least there is hope with those two.

Well, it's mostly wishful thinking, but the comparison is along the lines of "possibly having two bona-fide weapons at TE", that's basically it.

• Like 2