2023 Rookie Minicamp / OTAs / Training Camp

Leader

Just now, ThatJerkDave said:

So, let's say Bakhtiari is out.  Which combination of Nijman and Tom, LT/RT is best? 

It looks like Tom is either the second or third best OL on the team, and he will be playing somewhere this season.  But what is the best fit for him moving forward?

Probably Tom at LT because he's the more nimble player .. Yosh at RT because he's a got a little more beef to him.

5 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I think it may be the most puzzling of the three simply because you're talking about the same position and on paper, Humphrey was the better prospect in pretty much every way, including being a great athlete, and size difference with Myers was negligible. Three years in, I've yet to hear a real legitimate explanation why Myers over Humphrey. It was just a weird move more than anything. 

To answer @Mazrimiv's question first, absolutely no.  Anyone who uses the whole Terry McLaurin/Jace Sternberger over Gute's head is Captain Hindsight at it's finest.  The Watt/King situation was Watt was largely viewed as the BPA at the time, and Gute traded down for marginally "better" draft assets.

Creed Humphrey isn't a top 10 offensive player by any means.  I get why the Packers' FO preferred Myers over Humphrey.  I didn't agree with them, and obviously still don't.

When Gute drafted Musgrave this year, that was the first time he had drafted a Pac-12 player in the 1st 2 rounds. 10 of his 15 picks in the 1st 2 rounds have come from the SEC  or the B1G. Did conference strength play a role in Gute rating Myers ahead of Humphrey?

Ted Thompson in 13 years drafted 8 players from the Pac-12 in the 1st 2 rounds. 

Edited by Brat&Beer
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

To answer @Mazrimiv's question first, absolutely no.  Anyone who uses the whole Terry McLaurin/Jace Sternberger over Gute's head is Captain Hindsight at it's finest.  The Watt/King situation was Watt was largely viewed as the BPA at the time, and Gute traded down for marginally "better" draft assets.

Creed Humphrey isn't a top 10 offensive player by any means.  I get why the Packers' FO preferred Myers over Humphrey.  I didn't agree with them, and obviously still don't.

The King pick was a TT decision, not Gute.  

I agree the decision to draft Myers instead of Humphrey didn’t make sense- I feel like the pro style offense style was the difference when they probably should’ve just picked the best player.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

So, let's say Bakhtiari is out.  Which combination of Nijman and Tom, LT/RT is best? 

It looks like Tom is either the second or third best OL on the team, and he will be playing somewhere this season.  But what is the best fit for him moving forward?

I'm waiting for the preseason games to get a look at Sean Ryhan. I hope they give him some time at RT. I think he's got more upside than NIjman. Just not sure if they view him as a tackle or strictly a guard. 

If we get to an emergency situation where Bak just isn't going to be able to be counted on, our best five wherever they may land them. 

I think you are choosing among: Nijman, Jenkins, Myers, Runyan, Tom and possibly Ryhan. Where they land is anybody's guess. 

3 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Tom at L, Nij at R. Assuming Tom's mobility remains the same despite bulking up.

As for a more long-term answer, the same concern applies towards Tom remaining a Tackle. If he's somewhat slower, then a move to Center would be more viable in the long run.

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

When Gute drafted Musgrave this year, that was the first time he had drafted a Pac-12 player in the 1st 2 rounds. 10 of his 15 picks in the 1st 2 rounds have come from the SEC  or the B1G. Did conference strength play a role in Gute rating Myers ahead of Humphrey?

Ted Thompson in 13 years drafted 8 players from the Pac-12 in the 1st 2 rounds. 

Gute’s scouting roots where in the Southeast for GB. Presumably he still has the most contacts and connections there and of course it’s a conference that keeps churning out pros. I’m not surprised his early picks lean heavy on that side. How his past few and next few drafts pan out will tell the story. Hopefully two good frps next year seal the deal and of course JL being a stud would basically make everything else garnish on the steak dinner plate. 

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Anyone who uses the whole Terry McLaurin/Jace Sternberger over Gute's head is Captain Hindsight at it's finest.  

Or ppl simply watched Texas A&M and Ohio St games in context and could see the clear difference in their abilities. The Draft day thread had ppl calling this out, myself included.  The only hindsight dynamic here is related to both players being selected back to back with McLaurin having found great success and Jace hanging onto a roster spot in the NFL by a thread.  

I’m certainly not holding it over Gute’s head tho as I had hoped that Jace would prove he was worth the selection. Obviously, none of us expected that McLaurin would take his game to quite the level in the NFL that he has. But many of us were never impressed with Jace as a TE bcuz we watched him play in college.

Gute absolutely made a poor choice between the 2 players but that’s neither here nor there at this point. If we had taken McLaurin, we wouldn’t haven’t Watson, Doubs and others. I like this young roster we have on offense so hindsight is irrelevant at this point. 

12 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Better try jamming him at the line. 

That was Savage. Not like 'that was savage,' like the kids say. That was Savage who he beat so badly. Embarrassing for him tbh. Is he going to suck again this year?