Raider Team Activity Talk (Minicamps, OTAs, Training Camp)

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

I’ve heard nothing all camp about Chris Smith safety. He was talked up a lot in the offseason taking starting reps from Moehrig but been quiet as a mouse

In one of Hondo Carpenter’s podcasts he mentions this and says that Smith has been quietly just getting on with things, not struggling at all. I don’t know if he’s a terribly reliable source, seems to have his finger on the pulse and brings a lot of info. I think he’s behind Moehrig, Epps at the moment and Pola Mao has turned some heads so I think he’s maybe #4 in what looks like a decently strong and deep safety group.

I can see Teamer making the squad too due to his STs work but I really liked the Smith pick and I think he’ll just need a bit of seasoning and experience and probably he’s a guy that takes a leap in year two.

We need to stop with group think that if a player is talked up or not by the media it means something.

Every training camp, this fanbase falls in love with some media darling "turning heads" in camp and then are surprised when they are cut and trips until they eventually end up on the PS signaling they were not as special as the media made out. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

We need to stop with group think that if a player is talked up or not by the media it means something.

Every training camp, this fanbase falls in love with some media darling "turning heads" in camp and then are surprised when they are cut and trips until they eventually end up on the PS signaling they were not as special as the media made out. 

Pretty sure it’s not just this fan base. And what else do we have to go off? Reports are the only info we get, so if things are positive people are going to be encouraged. This years TC darling is Nesta imo we’ll see how he pans out. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Pretty sure it’s not just this fan base. And what else do we have to go off? Reports are the only info we get, so if things are positive people are going to be encouraged. This years TC darling is Nesta imo we’ll see how he pans out. 

Nesta is one of those ones I give some credence to. He didn't come out of nowhere like Javin did. Dude was a major prospect coming out of HS and made some wonky choices on schools. I think he could've made a better team and been more highly regarded come draft day (not saying 1st round or anything, but probably a 4th rounder or so). I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if he's a guy everything begins to click for now and turns out to be a steal. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geezy said:

We just have to not go overboard in any direction is all.  AOC is not anything yet.  Nesta is just a guy.  We can be happy they are doing well, but these guys haven't played anybody and it's kind of stupid to get too excited for any of them.

Same thing happens every off-season and most people don't learn.  Be happy they look good so far and hope for continuation of that.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, true2form said:

We just have to not go overboard in any direction is all.  AOC is not anything yet.  Nesta is just a guy.  We can be happy they are doing well, but these guys haven't played anybody and it's kind of stupid to get too excited for any of them.

Same thing happens every off-season and most people don't learn.  Be happy they look good so far and hope for continuation of that.

Definitely not crowning anyone, but it’s ok to be excited about young guys making noise in camp. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Definitely not crowning anyone, but it’s ok to be excited about young guys making noise in camp. 

Not a right or wrong thing. Anyone can do as they wish. 

These guys could be great or out of the league in a couple months.  It's too soon for me.

3 hours ago, Geezy said:

The one that is going to have guys screaming is when they keep Teamer, Bars and Bolden.

Edited by big_palooka
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

The one that is going to have guys screaming is when they keep Teamer over Palo-Moa. Or Bars over anyone. 

I can see that, i like Pola Mao i think he has a place in the league. Teamer is who he is, solid depth at safety and a ST ace. Bars would be yuck, but id understand wanting to keep another vet around. Im just glad we have tough cuts at multiple positions. 

5 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Nesta is one of those ones I give some credence to. He didn't come out of nowhere like Javin did. Dude was a major prospect coming out of HS and made some wonky choices on schools. I think he could've made a better team and been more highly regarded come draft day (not saying 1st round or anything, but probably a 4th rounder or so). I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if he's a guy everything begins to click for now and turns out to be a steal. 

He's going to end up on the PS squad.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

The one that is going to have guys screaming is when they keep Teamer, Bars and Bolden.

Teamer is the backup SS so that's no surprise, Bolden I hate but especially since Jacobs hasn't showed up we stuck with him. Bars I think is finally gone Eluemunor showed he can play all over the OL and the other kid showing he can man RT, they might not want to risk Curtis. It's a crap shoot.

13 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Teamer is the backup SS so that's no surprise, Bolden I hate but especially since Jacobs hasn't showed up we stuck with him. Bars I think is finally gone Eluemunor showed he can play all over the OL and the other kid showing he can man RT, they might not want to risk Curtis. It's a crap shoot.

Teamer's value is on STs. Palo-Mao needs to show up there to win the job. 

Bolden is safe regardless of Jacobs because of STs and ability as a blocker and pass catcher. Unfortunately, none of the younger backs have beaten him out. 

Bars, I agree here. Don't think he makes it over a guy like Curtis.