Jordan Love Appreciation Thread

vegas492

I'm very interested to see how his running/scrambling will play once the real season starts.  For now, he's obviously in Rodgers mode, strictly a pocket guy.  With nothing at stake, there's no reason to try scramble or extend plays.  Or to not throw contested balls that give receivers and defenders opportunities.  

But in the real season, once possessions and wins are on the line, might scrambling be something we see more often?  Don't want to punt, maybe 3rd down he'll be willing to run if he sees some open grass and a shot to reach the mark?  When defenders are actually going to sack you rather than pull up, might Love be much more inclined to scramble away from those sacks, and sometimes tuck it and run for yardage?  Or scramble and throw on the run well outside the pocket?  

It's possible that a couple of scramble runs can sustain a couple of drives and win a couple of games.  Also possible that some scramble plays give targets more time to get free and you complete some big downfield throws from well outside the pocket.  

23 minutes ago, craig said:

I'm very interested to see how his running/scrambling will play once the real season starts.  For now, he's obviously in Rodgers mode, strictly a pocket guy.  With nothing at stake, there's no reason to try scramble or extend plays.  Or to not throw contested balls that give receivers and defenders opportunities.  

But in the real season, once possessions and wins are on the line, might scrambling be something we see more often?  Don't want to punt, maybe 3rd down he'll be willing to run if he sees some open grass and a shot to reach the mark?  When defenders are actually going to sack you rather than pull up, might Love be much more inclined to scramble away from those sacks, and sometimes tuck it and run for yardage?  Or scramble and throw on the run well outside the pocket?  

It's possible that a couple of scramble runs can sustain a couple of drives and win a couple of games.  Also possible that some scramble plays give targets more time to get free and you complete some big downfield throws from well outside the pocket.  

I definitely think we'll see him use his legs and wouldn't be surprised to see some zone read, designed run plays at times.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2023 at 11:11 AM, craig said:

For now, he's obviously in Rodgers mode, strictly a pocket guy. 

I don't think that is true at all. J-Love has shown his mobility this camp, and also in his limited preseason game action.

And I wouldn't call Aaron "strictly a pocket guy." As far as rushing goes: Aaron has 3,500 rushing yards in his career. Favre had 1,800.  

J-Love, I would compare to Jalen Hurts in a lot of ways, but J-Love has a much stronger arm. 

I do think J-Love's ceiling is higher than Hurts. 

Stay tuned....

On 8/15/2023 at 12:11 PM, craig said:

In the early/middle years of his career, Rodgers' mobility and ability to scramble as needed were a big part of what made him so tough to defend.  If Love unlocks that part of his game, it would be a significant benefit.  For now, I think Love is locked into executing the offense exactly as MLF has it drawn up.  The scrambling with intent is a part of Love's game I expect to see more of as he settles in at QB1.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, freefromwhatyouare said:

I don't think that is true at all. J-Love has shown his mobility this camp, and also in his limited preseason game action.

And I wouldn't call Aaron "strictly a pocket guy." As far as rushing goes: Aaron has 3,500 rushing yards in his career. Favre had 1,800.  

J-Love, I would compare to Jalen Hurts in a lot of ways, but J-Love has a much stronger arm. 

I do think J-Love's ceiling is higher than Hurts. 

Stay tuned....

Jalen Hurts? I don’t think that’s a good comp at all

8 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

In the early/middle years of his career, Rodgers' mobility and ability to scramble as needed were a big part of what made him so tough to defend.  If Love unlocks that part of his game, it would be a significant benefit.  For now, I think Love is locked into executing the offense exactly as MLF has it drawn up.  The scrambling with intent is a part of Love's game I expect to see more of as he settles in at QB1.

Yeah, younger prime Rodgers was a terrific scrambler, both for actual yards but also that was part of his extended-play big-play game.  "Scramble-drill" was significant part of his greatness. 

Will be fun to see that from Love.  Today's X game he had a couple of positive-yardage scrambles.  Like you said, camp is for trying to run the intended offense.  But real games, defenses try to disrupt the intended offense, and no red shirt then.  Love's ability to scramble and do something productive when forced into improvise mode will be super useful.  

• Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 11:11 AM, craig said:

Looked solid today 

40 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Jalen Hurts? I don’t think that’s a good comp at all

I think the Better comparison as far as Love's mobility is Mahomes. Mahomes moves around in the pocket well, and typically runs for 300+ yards and a couple touchdowns.  

I don't want Love running a ton. 3 of the best running QB's last year missed multiple games with injuries (Fields, Hurts, Jackson). 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Brat&Beer said:

I think the Better comparison as far as Love's mobility is Mahomes. Mahomes moves around in the pocket well, and typically runs for 300+ yards and a couple touchdowns.  

I don't want Love running a ton. 3 of the best running QB's last year missed multiple games with injuries (Fields, Hurts, Jackson). 

I agree. And let’s just say, nobody is calling him the next Mahomes. It’s just play styles that are similar 

JL did fine in preseason. It’s pretty clear he can spin the ball pretty well in the intermediate and short passing game. The offense around him is functioning well. Truth be told, I’m kind of giddy about the partnership between him and our young receivers.

So I tell myself, the regular season will punch us in the mouth. You just wait. He can’t be that good. I am leaving room for the backpedal as we start the regular season. This is a hard game, the team is young, yadyada.

But I dearly hope we can collect at least one win against all the other NFCC teams just for the feels. I think we can. I think the offense has an up-pointing arrow.

33 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

JL did fine in preseason. It’s pretty clear he can spin the ball pretty well in the intermediate and short passing game. The offense around him is functioning well. Truth be told, I’m kind of giddy about the partnership between him and our young receivers.

So I tell myself, the regular season will punch us in the mouth. You just wait. He can’t be that good. I am leaving room for the backpedal as we start the regular season. This is a hard game, the team is young, yadyada.

But I dearly hope we can collect at least one win against all the other NFCC teams just for the feels. I think we can. I think the offense has an up-pointing arrow.

Playoffs are a bonus this year but after the preseason it is a realistic goal. The overall goal of the season is health, always #1 and Jordan Love grows into the franchise QB. As poised as he's played it has to give the front office a great deal of comfort and belief in him. 

There is a ton of talent on both sides of the ball to help him and the last two drafts look extremely good this early in the evaluations. 

Two things I love about Love from what I have seen thus far:

1) when it is 3rd down I'm no longer witnessing a heave up the sideline and praying that one of our guys catches the ball

2) this is more important one for me, how energetic Love has been on the side lines. I know it is preseason but he is out there pumping up his team mates. Yesterday when White had a 17 yard run he is right there giving White some love. When Clifford came off with a slight knock, he is immediately over to him checking him out.

Two noticable and welcomed differences I'm seeing with a young QB and the beginning of the Love era, long may it continue