Jordan Love Appreciation Thread

vegas492

31 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

I get your concern on the velocity and accuracy. Love should work on his lower body strength and footwork/balance this offseason to improve in these two critical areas. If he works on this this offseason, you should see greater balance and more accurate throws at higher velocity. 

What Love does very well is throw with great anticipation. This really enhances his chances at getting completions as he gets the ball into the window sooner than the defensive back can get there.  At the beginning of the season both the route running of the receivers and timing between quarterback and receiver were still in development. This lead to a lot of off target throws. The receivers have improved in their route running through game experience and practice, so you're seeing more catchable throws from Love. They're better at making route adjustments now to based on the coverage.

I've got to give the coaches credit for their development. Offensive line play has gotten better too.

Isn't that what Aaron did a couple years ago before his back to back MVP seasons. I remember him on Mcafee talking about how he noticed it on old film and double downed on it. I would hope Love observed that back then, but I agree with you that the consistency is what is needed. We have seen it trending the right way thankfully.

55 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

Is Love getting a lot of hate? I haven't really noticed it on a national level. I don't live in Wisconsin currently so I have no idea what the majority of the fans base thinks. I got the feeling that the way Rodgers carried himself the last couple years people were ready for the break up and excited to see what Love is.

He definitely did before the lights went on. Maybe not from the GB fan base, but living in Minnesota, there was a lot of scoffing if I even suggested that he COULD be good. And that was basically the national media/outside NFCN fan temperature as well. That we were crazy for doing what we did and were about to be basement dwellers for a decade. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, craig said:

Are MLF's schemes that great and I've never appreciated his play design?  Are the receivers so great?  Or, maybe is it Love's delivery-speed?  His release time is so quick that even without velocity the ball gets to target reasonably fast?  Beats me, it doesn't really make sense.  

I really hate to rehash this, but the number of times that 2022 Rodgers passed up wide open guys only to take a sack or throw a lower percentage pass was maddening, and many of us said it as it was happening. It’s the reason I was dying to just move on. Right now Love’s greatest asset is his ability to be cool in the pocket, find the open opportunity, and take it. The “Bo Meltons” were just as open last year. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Refugee said:

I’d rather Ol’ Brett, former QB of the Minnesota Vikings, said they should have started Mullens if they wanted to win the game.

Don’t forget, “Former Vikings quarterback, white collar criminal, and sex pest, Brett Favre” 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

I really hate to rehash this, but the number of times that 2022 Rodgers passed up wide open guys only to take a sack or throw a lower percentage pass was maddening, and many of us said it as it was happening. It’s the reason I was dying to just move on. Right now Love’s greatest asset is his ability to be cool in the pocket, find the open opportunity, and take it. The “Bo Meltons” were just as open last year. 

Just wanted to quote this so people would maybe read it again.  It's the truth.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Isherwood said:
1 hour ago, craig said:

Are MLF's schemes that great and I've never appreciated his play design?  Are the receivers so great?  Or, maybe is it Love's delivery-speed?  His release time is so quick that even without velocity the ball gets to target reasonably fast?  Beats me, it doesn't really make sense.  

fully agree.  If you watch the QB school videos on Love, JT O'Sullivan on a weekly basis makes it known how MLF can scheme guys open.  are there issues at times, for sure, but the WR are open and have been in years past.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, squire12 said:

on the velocity thing, part of that might be how effortful/effortless it looks.  A ball with some arc to it is not necessarily a low velocity pass as well.  there were 2 sideline throws, 1 to reed and 1 to Doubs that have the velocity and accuracy you want to see.   ...

My TV perception, on the left-sideline completion to Reed was that it took *forever* to get there.  Hangtime abnormally high, velocity abnormally low for a throw like that.  For no purpose; Reed was hanging out, no need to run under the excess hang-time.  In TV-moment,  Reed seemed frozen, waiting for a defender to deflect slow pass, or to drive him out of bounds?  Yet with all of the slow hang-time, he made the catch, got his feet down, and no defender ever drilled him. 

Maybe I'm crazy, unfair?  My TV-perspective is waiting for defender to fly in?  But Love sees better?

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

fully agree.  If you watch the QB school videos on Love, JT O'Sullivan on a weekly basis makes it known how MLF can scheme guys open.  are there issues at times, for sure, but the WR are open and have been in years past.

He also stresses how much better Love is when he plays in rhythm and trusts his reads.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

I was really looking forward to watching Rodgers force balls to Garrett Wilson this season.  I feel robbed that we didn’t get the validation we deserved.  So glad we moved on from that headache.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I was really looking forward to watching Rodgers force balls to Garrett Wilson this season.  I feel robbed that we didn’t get the validation we deserved.  So glad we moved on from that headache.

I was interested to see how that played out.  As of now, the pick is #40 overall.