Jordan Love Appreciation Thread

vegas492

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I'd feel better about our future if our GM wasn't so pathetic.

Gute is going to have his hands and brain full when he's trying to figure out who he can afford to keep out of Doubs, Watson, Reed, Wicks, Musgrave, Kraft and Tom on offense.

Just typing this out tells me that we won't offer "real" money to a center like Myers.

But, those decisions are a long way out.

Crazy to think how great the WR room and TE room is now compared to what it was a year ago.

Id say theres a good chance Myers finds an 8ishM 3 year contract. With inflation thats a lower end 2nd contract. Raise from where he's at but plenty of time to pick up one more nice contract. but enough security.

Edited by HighCalebR

14 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Id say theres a good chance Myers finds an 8ishM 3 year contract. With inflation thats a lower end 2nd contract. Raise from where he's at but plenty of time to pick up one more nice contract. but enough security.

I see your logic.  If I come up with numbers for a players worth, I'm usually off by 30%.  But I could see that one.

Wouldn't be all that bad if it were with us, but I hope we try to do better at center.  He's started long enough to know what we have.  And it is okay.  Also?  It can be better.  

I view C like RG.  You can function with both of them as average or something close to that.  But it sure would be nice to only have to cover up one of those warts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I see your logic.  If I come up with numbers for a players worth, I'm usually off by 30%.  But I could see that one.

Wouldn't be all that bad if it were with us, but I hope we try to do better at center.  He's started long enough to know what we have.  And it is okay.  Also?  It can be better.  

I view C like RG.  You can function with both of them as average or something close to that.  But it sure would be nice to only have to cover up one of those warts.

If youre gonna try the upgrade you gotta invest. We're gonna have some money, but the draft picks look like they'll be tied up. Could for sure throw a later pick in there for competition and I'm sure we will. All for bringing in legit competition for the guy.

A year early for the convo but I'm assuming we dont go day 2 center this year for the rest of the post..

Think were best off giving Myers the band aid contract, and bringing in a mid-late round pick or 2 the next couple years to compete. If none of that works, go high again around 2026. With what Myers is asked to do I don't see him being as easy to replace as just grabbing some 5th rounder and plugging him in. Without knowing some of the line call flubs we've had, (I'm gonna give the C the benefit of doubt here and put most of those on Runyan) solidify the spot next to him and go from there, think a gelled together line of Jenkins-Myers-Rhyan could be pretty imposing. Not like it'd be hard to get out of a low level contract if someone comes in and takes it from Myers anyways.

I agree though, as things sit gotta think of ways to get this interior moving bodies more consistently.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, minnypackerfan said:

I must be one of the few in the camp of "wait till next year" before you offer Love a deal.  I want to see what Love does this offseason to improve his lower body, in terms of strength, balance, and footwork. I'd rather offer him $50-$55 a year if he addresses those things and we see that development lead to improved performances on the field rather than offer him $40-$45 with little to no improvement as he fails to work on these things.

Damn good thing you aren't the GM and in charge of contracts.  He's been in the system 4 years,  shown steady improvement throughout the year, rated in top 10 of QB's and in the top 3 the past number of games.  To wait and see if he can improve on those things is wasting 10-15 million a year that can be spent elsewhere.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Damn good thing you aren't the GM and in charge of contracts.  He's been in the system 4 years,  shown steady improvement throughout the year, rated in top 10 of QB's and in the top 3 the past number of games.  To wait and see if he can improve on those things is wasting 10-15 million a year that can be spent elsewhere.

Being absolutely 100% positive he's the guy is more important than trying to save a couple of million. These QB contracts are absolutely crippling if they don't work out. Just look at what is going on in Denver if you want proof.

11 minutes ago, StatKing said:

Being absolutely 100% positive he's the guy is more important than trying to save a couple of million. These QB contracts are absolutely crippling if they don't work out. Just look at what is going on in Denver if you want proof.

By golly .. you are around yet,  In the NFL, there's nothing 100% positive about anybody being the guy .. only thing 100% for sure is if a team doesn't have a QB, that team is going nowhere.  LOL, Denver?  They traded a boat load of picks and took on a big contract for a QB that his old team didn't even want. That being said, the opposite is also true .. if a team signs a younger QB (like Love) who has shown considerable improvement and a high ceiling and he does "hit", the contract he signed over a 5-10 year period is a bargain.

55 minutes ago, StatKing said:

Your agenda is boring and goofy. So in one year you will be 100%?

I'm sure you'll come up with new parameters that no one could reach.

Love is the future (barring injury). Eat your plate of crow and move on.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, vegas492 said:

He is only 25, could still get a good deal stronger. Not in prime yet

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

I'm a pretty cautious person by nature and I never would want to be a GM of any football team as it is not my area of expertise so you do not need to worry about that happening.

Apparently you haven't read any of my previous posts on Jordan Love, which all in all have been pretty positive, even when many others were questioning Love's ability several months ago. 

I'm frankly a little surprised however, that this is his fourth year and some of these fundamentals have not been corrected by now. Some of this could be due to the fact that this is his first year playing regularly in some time since college and practice is not actual game speed. This can be worked on however and I fully expect he would want to improve.

I manage a large group of people and have never had any problem giving direct feedback on how an employee can improve to achieve their career aspirations. Since I've had a lot of career success, I've taken the position that is my job to help others get where they want to get to. The vast majority of my employees have taken that feedback and have worked to make improvements which have resulted in a lot of very positive career outcomes for them. People that want to be great want that feedback and act on it to get to where they want to be. My sense is that Love is that type of person.

Plus, we don't know what Love's agent wants. What if he wanted $50-$55 million now? The agent sees the same potential we all do so why settle for less?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Anybody that doesn't think Love is the guy going forward simply has blinders on. He's already a top 10 QB in the league FFS.

My biggest concern for Love was turnovers.  He had turned the ball over a lot in his final college season.  He also turned the ball over in the limited action that he saw in the NFL.  There was a stretch early in the season where it looked like that would be an issue.  But he has seemed to have remedied that.  He also seemed to be underthrowing a lot of balls early this season.  He has improved on that as well.

Since Love arrived, he has shown that he can move the ball.

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

There was a stretch early in the season where it looked like that would be an issue.

This is somewhat true but he was not turning the ball over with a lead, which is far more important than trying to make things happen when behind late in games. 

We might actually get kinda lucky timing wise. There's no 2024 free agents that are going to be anywhere near top of the market deals for QBs.

Dak, Tua, and Lawrence are free agents in 2025 and even with the cap growing I think those are more along the lines of top of the market deals rather than reset the market deals. 

We should have a really good chance at being able to sneak in under the wire before the market gets reset again. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Anybody that doesn't think Love is the guy going forward simply has blinders on. He's already a top 10 QB in the league FFS.

The one thing that gives me pause with Love is that it's possible that he's a super high-variance guy, like Eli or Josh Allen.  But the highs are high enough that I'll take it (after all, you didn't see NYG and don't see BUF wanting to replace their guy.)

11 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The one thing that gives me pause with Love is that it's possible that he's a super high-variance guy, like Eli or Josh Allen.  But the highs are high enough that I'll take it (after all, you didn't see NYG and don't see BUF wanting to replace their guy.)

Maybe but I think he's shown more consistency as a thrower than they did early on. Allen is super high variance as a passer but his ability to be a bulldozing runner adds value to his game. I don't think Love is anywhere near as high variance as he is. We've seen less and less misses as the season has gone on from Love and that will continue to improve over time. Feel like this offseason, he'll work on the lower body mechanics and strength and we'll see marked improvement in 2024. If we can keep Love's highs (some of his throws are Rodgers or Favre-esque) but get a week-to-week cerebral consistency, we're set up for another decade. I think that's what we've seen the last half season. I don't think he'll be a 16-1 TD to INT guy but I do feel like he's not the 14-10 TD to INT guy from the first 9 either.