2023 Around the League

HuskieBear

12 hours ago, CBears019 said:

Sounds like the fear (and likelihood) is that Rodgers ruptured his Achilles, ending his season and likely even his career.  Honestly i feel Bad for Rodgers.  I was looking forward to watching him play for a team that’s not the packers.  I wanted to like him all these years, but couldn’t for obvious reasons.  It’s a shame to see a legend go out this way.  Maybe he gives it another go next year, but Achilles are hard to come back from, especially when you’re 40.

Honest question,

Why couldn't you like him? Just because he was a Packer? I'm not trying to be insulting here but two of my favorite QBs of the last 20 years were Rex Grossman and Jay Cutler. I even had a Grossman Bears jersey. 

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Honest question,

Why couldn't you like him? Just because he was a Packer? I'm not trying to be insulting here but two of my favorite QBs of the last 20 years were Rex Grossman and Jay Cutler. I even had a Grossman Bears jersey. 

Not insulting at all.  And yes because he was a packer.  He’s ripped my heart out too many times including a shot at the Super Bowl.  It was like no lead was safe in bears v packers if Rodgers was still out there.  And he was always so smug about it that he just really annoyed me.  You didn’t have quite the same experience with grossman and cutler (some of my favs btw too, got both their jerseys). 

2 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

Not insulting at all.  And yes because he was a packer.  He’s ripped my heart out too many times including a shot at the Super Bowl.  It was like no lead was safe in bears v packers if Rodgers was still out there.  And he was always so smug about it that he just really annoyed me.  You didn’t have quite the same experience with grossman and cutler (some of my favs btw too, got both their jerseys). 

Yeah, I guess it's just an entirely different dynamic when it comes to the two franchises. I was able to like Rex and Jay because I wasn't threatened by them, I guess. Even the NFC title game, I just remember (unlike the other 4 since) waking up that day and going "we're going to the Super Bowl today." 

So Rodgers Achilles tear is confirmed 

Even if the guy is pretty intensely unlikeable, and even knowing that him being hurt screws the packers out of a first rounder (and maybe even any realistic shot to have the ammo to draft a good qb this offseason)... Still sucks hard to see a legend potentially on his last plays, and going out in such a lame way. 

If he gets the surgery this week, he could theoretically start physical therapy in 6 weeks, and maybe running in 12... But Achilles tears are a pretty rough one to come back from, especially at 40. Hopefully he can take his time and make a comeback next year before time causes him to hang up the cleats. I think a Rodgers jets team showed it might have been a real afc threat. 

4 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Honest question,

As a Packers fan Rex was a major - if unintentional - supporter of you guys. lol 

I loved watching Rodgers at Cal, he is to this day my 2nd favorite prospect of all time. I hated Angelo with a passion the day he drafted Benson and let AR fall to GB, almost quit the Bears. The only reason I disliked him was because of the frequent beatings he gave CHI. If it was closer to a 50/50 thing I could have been better about it but he just crapped on too many of my Sundays, you know? lol

That being said I hope he comes back. Let the Jets try to develop his heir or whatever but I'd like Rodgers to do some damage in the AFC, just stay TF away from Chicago when he does it. 

4 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Honest question,

I think another question would be how could you get to a point where you would be anything but sad for a player who got hurt in a career threatening way? These guys risk everything to pay a game, that we get to enjoy.  I guess there's a bit of hypocrisy perhaps to cheer for a sack but feel bad when they get really hurt, but I do think there is a line to cross there.

I could admire the way Rodgers played and still hate his guts for every Sunday. He really has elevated what we think of as top end quarterback play.  

1 hour ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

I think another question would be how could you get to a point where you would be anything but sad for a player who got hurt in a career threatening way? These guys risk everything to pay a game, that we get to enjoy.  I guess there's a bit of hypocrisy perhaps to cheer for a sack but feel bad when they get really hurt, but I do think there is a line to cross there.

I could admire the way Rodgers played and still hate his guts for every Sunday. He really has elevated what we think of as top end quarterback play.  

I think the big issue is whether they are hurt or injured. I have no issues cheering for a sack where someone gets hobbled. Same as a big pancake block that someone may get the wind knocked out of them. But being injured (missing more than that game by my personal standard) sucks. Very few people would I have been happy to see them get knocked out, and hat was for more than anything just about how well/poorly they play football. 

So I've been talking a lot about how we mad I was we didn't draft JMS for Center (instead taking Tyrique Stevenson, who may end up our best draft pick, and Gervon Dexter, who I'm not sure even played?)

I'll eat a bit of crow today, since JMS is on the giants and had a positively brutal game there this week, despite looking like a stud in preseason.

PFF grades on John Micheal Schmitz this week

Overall blocking 42.8 (30th of 30Centers) *Totals had to have been done before MNF apparently* 

Pass blocking  41.7 (26th of 30 Centers)

That is actually still worse than Lucas Patrick 43.3 overall grade (50.7 pass blocking, 45.5 run blocking)

FWIW Nate Davis had a 26.8 pass blocking grade as well... Good lord that's terrible....  (a score of 60 is roughly NFL "average" I think)

Edited by Epyon

6 minutes ago, Epyon said:

So I've been talking a lot about how we mad I was we didn't draft JMS for Center (instead taking Tyrique Stevenson, who may end up our best draft pick, and Gervon Dexter, who I'm not sure even played?)

I'll eat a bit of crow today, since JMS is on the giants and had a positively brutal game there this week, despite looking like a stud in preseason.

PFF grades on John Micheal Schmitz this week

Overall blocking 42.8 (30th of 30Centers) *Totals had to have been done before MNF apparently* 

Pass blocking  41.7 (26th of 30 Centers)

That is actually still worse than Lucas Patrick 43.3 overall grade (50.7 pass blocking, 45.5 run blocking)

FWIW Nate Davis had a 26.8 pass blocking grade as well... Good lord that's terrible....  (a score of 60 is roughly NFL "average" I think)

I wouldn't worry about it. You don't draft players for their rookie year, you draft to try and get a long-time cornerstones of the franchise. I think JMS will bounce back even if he does have a slow year, he is just a damn good prospect. Things happen in the trenches so much faster than in college there is going to be an adjustment.

Davis was horrendous from what little I saw of him. I wonder if there were communication issues with him having played so little through TC and preseason, or if he was just getting beat like a drum for being rusty, etc. Patrick is just what he is, a mid-reserve option that should be fighting to be a #2, not be given a reserve role freely. 

Dexter got in for about 1/3 of the snaps, I thought he plugged his lanes pretty well but he didn't get any real passrush - a pretty safe bet considering no one did, I know.  lol 

12 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Davis was horrendous from what little I saw of him. I wonder if there were communication issues with him having played so little through TC and preseason, or if he was just getting beat like a drum for being rusty, etc. Patrick is just what he is, a mid-reserve option that should be fighting to be a #2, not be given a reserve role freely.

I linked a QB school video in the Justin Fields thread (and I'm only half way through it so far, and I'm enjoying the video breakdown more than the game itself, highly recommend it)  He's ripping into the scheme primarily, and Fields a ton.... but he takes special time to talk about a nate davis play

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Epyon said:

I linked a QB school video in the Justin Fields thread (and I'm only half way through it so far, and I'm enjoying the video breakdown more than the game itself, highly recommend it)  He's ripping into the scheme primarily, and Fields a ton.... but he takes special time to talk about a nate davis play

I watched this video and all I have to say is that it's not pretty. It's not just Getsy, Fields, the WRs or the OL being bad but a combination of everyone doing their part.

That said it's pretty frustrating to see Fields not ripping the ball when dudes are getting open. His anticipation and quickness is still very much lacking which is not very encouraging to see from a 3rd year QB. These were a lot of the same weaknesses which causes Fields to fall in the draft

Also it's pretty laughable how JT O'Sullivan just laughs at what our offense is. Says our scheme is pretty much crap and there's no rhyme or reason to it.

Revealing stuff man...hope it gets better but being in year 2 of this offense now and having all offseason to correct these things this is not what you want to see.

And I get it green bays defense are no slouches by C'mon man this is just bad bad bad

• Like 1

4 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I watched this video and all I have to say is that it's not pretty. It's not just Getsy, Fields, the WRs or the OL being bad but a combination of everyone doing their part.

That said it's pretty frustrating to see Fields not ripping the ball when dudes are getting open. His anticipation and quickness is still very much lacking which is not very encouraging to see from a 3rd year QB. These were a lot of the same weaknesses which causes Fields to fall in the draft

Also it's pretty laughable how JT O'Sullivan just laughs at what our offense is. Says our scheme is pretty much crap and there's no rhyme or reason to it.

Revealing stuff man...hope it gets better but being in year 2 of this offense now and having all offseason to correct these things this is not what you want to see.

And I get it green bays defense are no slouches by C'mon man this is just bad bad bad

Emery sucked and therefore hired an awful HC

Pace sucked and therefore hired 2 ****ty HC's

Does Poles suck? Did he hire a bad HC?

We're about to find out, and if the answer is yes, nothing will change until Virginia and George croak because George, specifically, is the nitwit who continues to hire these jamokes (and don't hit me with the "he gets a lot of respected former execs to help" because ultimately his stupid *** has the final say)

On 9/12/2023 at 11:39 AM, beekay414 said:

Honest question,

I was OK with him for a while because he was actually good vs Favre who lived off his 90s success. The man threw 6 picks in a playoff game and Madden is still sucking up to him.

I started hating Rogers after his COVID bs and then the I own you comment.

from a player standpoint one of the best I’ve seen. Plays like a robot. If the organization did things differently he would have own more championships.

but he was horrible in NFC championship games that didn’t match his standard of play in the regular season.

Edited by Nads786