2023 Around the League

HuskieBear

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Ah the offseason.  Every coach and GM holds his breath until training camp.

We get pissed when we don't draft talented guys with character concerns.   But then these things happen.

Definitely. I think that where the line that talent outweighs risk from the GM chair has a lot of factors that play into it too, and Poles spoke to that somewhat after we didn’t draft Jalen Carter at 9. 

• Like 1

Barkley got absolutely hosed by CBA.

Even in a depressed RB market he would have been paid well by someone had he not been tagged.  

He is most talented RB in league and one of most dangerous all around weapons outside a QB. 

51 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Barkley got absolutely hosed by CBA.

Even in a depressed RB market he would have been paid well by someone had he not been tagged.  

He is most talented RB in league and one of most dangerous all around weapons outside a QB. 

Alot of connected people are very dubious that he would have. 

He would have done better than this, but Im not sure it would have been close to what many (including Saquon) were expecting/projecting

Just now, StLunatic88 said:

He would have done better than this, but Im not sure it would have been close to what many (including Saquon) were expecting/projecting

When no one can bid on him that is very easy to say.

It only takes one.  I am not saying anyone other RB would have.  I personally believe he would have.  

Not saying I back truck up, but I give him a good RB deal.  

Christian McCaffery took SF to another level last year when he joined that team.  

If I was a contender I definitely look to make room for him.  And I have been a guy that said prioritize OL first before RB since way before it was popular.  Back in late 80s. 

RBs still have value. Especially great ones.

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

you think if he's not tagged CHI uses some their cap space to sign him instead of signing foreman/drafting rojo? he certainly would have helped JF1 with pass protection and catching as a complete back and we still would have had khalil to fall back on in case he got hurt. 

not necessarily advocating for giving big money to RBs, but saquon (when healthy, big if) is a star RB and it's not like we didn't have the cap space. 

would have been interesting to see him in our backfield with JF

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

you think if he's not tagged CHI uses some their cap space to sign him instead of signing foreman/drafting rojo? he certainly would have helped JF1 with pass protection and catching as a complete back and we still would have had khalil to fall back on in case he got hurt. 

not necessarily advocating for giving big money to RBs, but saquon (when healthy, big if) is a star RB and it's not like we didn't have the cap space. 

would have been interesting to see him in our backfield with JF

I was. Either he or Jacobs would have been awesome to pair with Fields, but specifically while Fields is on a rookie deal. I still maintain the QB and RB should be combined when looking at cap space, even if it is a bit overly simplistic.

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

you think if he's not tagged CHI uses some their cap space to sign him instead of signing foreman/drafting rojo?

I don’t. And I think that’s the major Catch-22 with the best RBs even if they are able to reach Free Agency. 

The teams who would most benefit from a talent like that at a position that is a luxury, don’t usually have the cap space to give them what they actually deserve. But the teams that do have the Cap Space to pay them true value are still building up their teams and aren’t going to waste that cap space on the most luxury poison in modern football. 

If Saquon made it to FA, and didn’t have the market he wanted, I could have seen us using a big one year deal to pay him (Because we need to spend dollars) but with so much uncertainty in our future, I can’t see us locking him up for multiple years at that high of a dollar value 

The problem for all of this lies in the “Franchise Tag” and what it was supposed to be rather than what it has become. Literally In the name they should be the most important player in your franchise, not just a way to control a players Free Agency.

A Franchise Tag really should award that player with something outrageous as a salary (Quite literally Top 32 one year salary) while giving the team the relief on the cap. Like it’s an average of the Top 25 salaries for that year (or probably total cap hits) while the team only accounts half of that against their Salary Cap for that year. That way you have to really want to keep the player, but it also allows teams who are up against it to work around cap hits while they are working on a long term dealu

51 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I don’t. And I think that’s the major Catch-22 with the best RBs even if they are able to reach Free Agency. 

The teams who would most benefit from a talent like that at a position that is a luxury, don’t usually have the cap space to give them what they actually deserve. But the teams that do have the Cap Space to pay them true value are still building up their teams and aren’t going to waste that cap space on the most luxury poison in modern football. 

If Saquon made it to FA, and didn’t have the market he wanted, I could have seen us using a big one year deal to pay him (Because we need to spend dollars) but with so much uncertainty in our future, I can’t see us locking him up for multiple years at that high of a dollar value 

The problem for all of this lies in the “Franchise Tag” and what it was supposed to be rather than what it has become. Literally In the name they should be the most important player in your franchise, not just a way to control a players Free Agency.

A Franchise Tag really should award that player with something outrageous as a salary (Quite literally Top 32 one year salary) while giving the team the relief on the cap. Like it’s an average of the Top 25 salaries for that year (or probably total cap hits) while the team only accounts half of that against their Salary Cap for that year. That way you have to really want to keep the player, but it also allows teams who are up against it to work around cap hits while they are working on a long term dealu

Personally, I’d like to see the franchise tag go away entirely with the next CBA. In alternate, I’d be fine with it sticking around but with significant changes to its use intended to minimize its application (and, frankly, abuse). Some suggestions I’d make:

-Tagged player salary is equal to the top paid player (AAV) at the position at the time of the long term extension deadline expiration (7/15) instead of an average of the top 5 the prior season at their position.

-1 time use restriction per player per franchise.

-Use of the tag in back-to-back seasons results in forfeiture of a 2nd round pick that offseason’s draft. Use in a third consecutive season results in forfeiture of a 1st round pick (as would any additional consecutive years).

Players still wouldn’t like the tag, but will be more inclined to play on it as the absolute top paid player at their position that season with the knowledge they can’t get tagged again the next season. The best of the best will still get tagged, but far fewer of that next tier of guys would be, and if they were there will be way more incentive from teams to work out long term deals with them. Applying my proposed changes to this years’ free agent class, I’m not sure any of the tagged players outside of Lamar would’ve been tagged.

-Tagging Tony Pollard would’ve cost DAL their 2nd round pick (tagged Schultz in 2022)

-Tagging Engram would’ve cost JAX their 1st round pick (tagged Robinson in 2021 and 2022)

-Tagging Barkley would’ve prevented NYG from tagging Dexter Lawrence or Leonard Williams in 2024 without draft pick compensation (Lawrence has since signed an extension but he would’ve had far more leverage in that negotiation if NYG’s 2024 franchise tag was costlier to apply)

• Like 4

this has been my thought - make it like the Qualifying Offer in baseball, which is the average of the top 125 salaries regardless of position. 

(using sportrac for salaries, which in including Herbert and Thomas deals)

Taking the top 32 salaries for 2023 (32 because the franchise tag is for a franchise player, aka 1 per team) you would get a tag number of $33.635 million. That is only about 1.2M more than the QB tag this year, but is 13.6M more than the next highest tag number (edge/LB).

so what if we keep a QB tag the same formula as it has been, but extend all other positions into 1 lump sum, but make it the average of the top 64 salaries? That makes the tag $28.08M. Maybe still a little high?

lets try top 100? that brings it to $24.46M. This seems much more reasonable, but would it still drive costs up to where players who get tagged have OUTSTANDING leverage for yearly salaries? maybe, but maybe thats the point - you only tag TRUE franchise players

lets play around with top 32 and top 100 MINUS QBs next. Those numbers are $23.65M (top 32, non-QB) and $20.02M (top 100, non-QB). As we see, that top 100 non-qb number is pretty close to other FT #s - WR (19.74), OL (18.24), DT (18.94), DE (19.73), LB (20.93), CB (18.14).

TL;DR - imo best course for future FT would be a MLB-like qualifying offer for non-QBs of the average of the top 100 non-QB salaries, with QBs retaining the normal FT formula. This would make the FT this year $20.02M for all positions besides QB, with QBs keeping the $32.42 number.

21 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

i think this would suppress the market even more. all teams would franchise a player, because it's not the cash theyre giving up for the most part, but the salary cap restrictions. teams would gladly pay a player if they only cost half as much on the cap