2023 Around the League

HuskieBear

Someone in the packers forum was trying to make a connection that “Love Will Tear Us Apart” by Joy Division is a song for bears fans when the e packers beat us, which is an alright joke on the surface but if you read the lyrics it’s a hysterical commentary on the hubris of the packers and how it’ll all crumble if Love sucks 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Someone in the packers forum was trying to make a connection that “Love Will Tear Us Apart” by Joy Division is a song for bears fans when the e packers beat us, which is an alright joke on the surface but if you read the lyrics it’s a hysterical commentary on the hubris of the packers and how it’ll all crumble if Love sucks 

This stuff all tends to be cyclical (it’s not actually a cycle but it almost always plays out that way), and GB has had the longest upswing at QB of any team in NFL history. Odds are that they’re going to see a big regression at the position, similar to what happened in Indy after they went right from Manning to Luck. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

This stuff all tends to be cyclical (it’s not actually a cycle but it almost always plays out that way), and GB has had the longest upswing at QB of any team in NFL history. Odds are that they’re going to see a big regression at the position, similar to what happened in Indy after they went right from Manning to Luck. 

What concerns me is even if the packers become a bad team, they’re probably going to hit on a qb drafted high in the next decade. Meanwhile Chicago has maybe their only competent qb ever right now, after ~60 sbe years of trying

45 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

What concerns me is even if the packers become a bad team, they’re probably going to hit on a qb drafted high in the next decade. Meanwhile Chicago has maybe their only competent qb ever right now, after ~60 sbe years of trying

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on what you consider to be a hit. I’d argue that a merely competent QB long term with a high pick is a miss, since it’ll leave you stuck mired in mediocrity for several years much like the Cutler years here. Remember GB has only actually drafted a great QB once in the modern era. They got incredibly lucky that Atlanta was willing to part with Favre via trade after the 1991 season in order to stick with… Chris Miller. 

Seahawks have quietly added a lot of very good young talent last two offseasons.  

I think a lot of people are sleeping on them in 2023.  Like Detroit though they are banking on loading up around mediocre QB talent.  

But there is much NFL history for mediocre QBs playing very well on loaded teams (and getting overrated because of it).   But results are results.  It is doable.  And can be a viable strategy.  

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Seahawks have quietly added a lot of very good young talent last two offseasons.  

I think a lot of people are sleeping on them in 2023.  Like Detroit though they are banking on loading up around mediocre QB talent.  

But there is much NFL history for mediocre QBs playing very well on loaded teams (and getting overrated because of it).   But results are results.  It is doable.  And can be a viable strategy.  

I put SEA at 9-8 in large part because Smith is a wildcard and they look solid throughout the roster. They could go 12-5 if they get hot but I can't see them doing any worse than 7-10, even if Smith falls apart for whatever reason.

Honestly I never cared for Geno but seeing him put up more in 2022 than he did the previous seven years combined? That's just an awesome story. I was always a try-hard athlete so I have a soft spot for those guys, seeing him keep going and getting his pay after all the people (myself included) absolutely wrote him off has me quietly rooting for him.

Granted if he plays Chicago I'm going to hope the Bears maul SEA, but that isn't personal. lol

8 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I put SEA at 9-8 in large part because Smith is a wildcard and they look solid throughout the roster. They could go 12-5 if they get hot but I can't see them doing any worse than 7-10, even if Smith falls apart for whatever reason.

Honestly I never cared for Geno but seeing him put up more in 2022 than he did the previous seven years combined? That's just an awesome story. I was always a try-hard athlete so I have a soft spot for those guys, seeing him keep going and getting his pay after all the people (myself included) absolutely wrote him off has me quietly rooting for him.

Granted if he plays Chicago I'm going to hope the Bears maul SEA, but that isn't personal. lol

He didn't play so great late in year.   He had some really good games though.  He showed enough they paid him.

Glad we didn't trade for Russ.  They are really cashing in on that trade through draft.

They may regret not finding a young QB with all that draft capital though if they don't win it this year or next year.

They need an older QB to deal with Metcalf.  And Carroll is getting up there in age, he probably doesn't want to wait on a rookie QB to develop.

Glad we don't play in AFC.  Much stronger conference right now.  

17 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Wow they really want that #1 pick next year.

I am 100% sure that Poles wouldn't sign him but a 4 man wr set of Dhop, DJ, Mooney, and Claypool would be just about the sickest thing any team would want to see. How would you defend that?

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Rodgers would have been released too right around now if Jets would have waited.

They probably would have waited longer.   But point stands.  No way they were paying him.  

• 2 weeks later...

We did some Fields (and others) predictions in another thread, so I wanted to expand alittle more in this thread for the rest of the league.

Its not stats, but I go through the whole schedule (with a grid) and predict every game for the season. I did my first pass recently, and Ill do it again before the season starts when teams are a bit more clear.

What Im sure you all want to know, Ive got the Bears going 6-11, finishing 3rd in the Division. I just dont think we are going to be able to outscore teams yet, and with this defense, thats what we would have to do. Too many young/unproven guys in important spots to rely on them. I do have us in/close/covering the majority of their games, but probably letting teams take the final drive for the win way too often with not enough time left to answer.

Across the league, Ive got the #1 seeds as; Cincinnati in the AFC (14-3) with Joe Burrow's MVP season as the OL finally gels in year 2 of the rebuild there. And then a bit of a surprise with Dallas in the NFC (15-2) in a battle with the Eagles right behind them (14-3) as the Cowboys take advantage of a pretty easy schedule and sneak one extra win.

Other division winners; AFC- Buffalo (12-5), Kansas City (12-5) Jacksonville (13-4)/ NFC- Minnesota (10-7), New Orleans (11-6) San Francisco (12-5). Then the Jets (11-6)/ Broncos (11-6)/ Ravens (12-5) snatching the Wild Card spots in the AFC, and the Lions (9-8)/ Giants (10-7)/ Eages (14-3) getting the NFC Wild Cards. I have the Bengals making the Super Bowl over the Bills, and then the Niners taking advantage of the Cowboys finally choking, With Shanahan taking advantage of this absurd roster they built with at minimum a competent QB (who may or may not already be on the roster)

I have the Texans as a major surprise (10-7) as they take advantage of a bad schedule, and CJ Stroud takes the ROY. Also the Patriots and Browns (9-8) just barely miss the playoffs as well. While Chargers disappoint again, and its time to get an offensive guide for Herbert. On the other side, the only thing to really write home about is the Falcon's Offense being dynamic and just losing the tiebreaker to the Lions for the final WC spot, while Geno Smith doesnt turn into a Pumpkin, but comes back to earth and the Seahawks underachieve. Overall the AFC is much stronger than the NFC, as out Conference hold 7 of the Top 10 picks in the Draft.

Speaking Of... 2024 Drat Order

1. ARZ (1-16)
  2. WAS (1-16)
  3. LV (2-15)
  4. IND (3-14)
  5. CAR>CHI (4-13)
  6. LAR (5-12)
  7. GB (5-12)
  8. TB (5-12)
  9. CHI (6-11)
  10. MIA (6-11)
  11. TEN (7-10)
  12. LAC (7-10)

The Cards were going to be bad this year regardless, and Kyler's rehab is just another monkey wrench. I wouldnt be shocked if he has played his last snap as a Cardinal. But the #1 pick is decided week one when the Commanders are actually trying to let Sam Howell win, and they get their lone W over Arizona. The Raiders dont have a real backup plan from the Jimmy G saga, and they werent good last year either. Indy does growing pains with Richardson, but there is very limited talent across the rest of the roster. Carolina is going to be painfully competent for all Fan Bases interested, but they just arent going to have any offense, so low scoring games and close losses for most of the year. The Rams finally have a FRP, maybe the 3rd (or 4th) QB prospect will be enough to keep McVay interested? And away from Retirement? Even when the Packers fall off after decades, we actually end up with a Higer FRP than them, it will be so great to see happen. Bucs are still trying to win with that roster, and unfortunately for them, Baker is likely to pull one or two out of his Butt early on before they shed every asset they can which keeps them way from the top of the draft. Ive talked about the Bears, but a pair of Top 10 picks would be Exactly what we need to complete this rebuild and send us off as the Favorites of the North for a while. I just cant assume Tua's health for the Dolphins, and that Division is now crazy good. Titans try to go one more time with the mess of a Roster/Cap they have, and its probably infuriating for Vrabel. And as I said before, the Chargers finally fall apart enough to move on and ger an Offensive mind for Herbert.

On 6/5/2023 at 10:10 PM, StLunatic88 said:

We did some Fields (and others) predictions in another thread, so I wanted to expand alittle more in this thread for the rest of the league.

Its not stats, but I go through the whole schedule (with a grid) and predict every game for the season. I did my first pass recently, and Ill do it again before the season starts when teams are a bit more clear.

What Im sure you all want to know, Ive got the Bears going 6-11, finishing 3rd in the Division. I just dont think we are going to be able to outscore teams yet, and with this defense, thats what we would have to do. Too many young/unproven guys in important spots to rely on them. I do have us in/close/covering the majority of their games, but probably letting teams take the final drive for the win way too often with not enough time left to answer.

Across the league, Ive got the #1 seeds as; Cincinnati in the AFC (14-3) with Joe Burrow's MVP season as the OL finally gels in year 2 of the rebuild there. And then a bit of a surprise with Dallas in the NFC (15-2) in a battle with the Eagles right behind them (14-3) as the Cowboys take advantage of a pretty easy schedule and sneak one extra win.

Other division winners; AFC- Buffalo (12-5), Kansas City (12-5) Jacksonville (13-4)/ NFC- Minnesota (10-7), New Orleans (11-6) San Francisco (12-5). Then the Jets (11-6)/ Broncos (11-6)/ Ravens (12-5) snatching the Wild Card spots in the AFC, and the Lions (9-8)/ Giants (10-7)/ Eages (14-3) getting the NFC Wild Cards. I have the Bengals making the Super Bowl over the Bills, and then the Niners taking advantage of the Cowboys finally choking, With Shanahan taking advantage of this absurd roster they built with at minimum a competent QB (who may or may not already be on the roster)

I have the Texans as a major surprise (10-7) as they take advantage of a bad schedule, and CJ Stroud takes the ROY. Also the Patriots and Browns (9-8) just barely miss the playoffs as well. While Chargers disappoint again, and its time to get an offensive guide for Herbert. On the other side, the only thing to really write home about is the Falcon's Offense being dynamic and just losing the tiebreaker to the Lions for the final WC spot, while Geno Smith doesnt turn into a Pumpkin, but comes back to earth and the Seahawks underachieve. Overall the AFC is much stronger than the NFC, as out Conference hold 7 of the Top 10 picks in the Draft.

Speaking Of... 2024 Drat Order

1. ARZ (1-16)
  2. WAS (1-16)
  3. LV (2-15)
  4. IND (3-14)
  5. CAR>CHI (4-13)
  6. LAR (5-12)
  7. GB (5-12)
  8. TB (5-12)
  9. CHI (6-11)
  10. MIA (6-11)
  11. TEN (7-10)
  12. LAC (7-10)

The Cards were going to be bad this year regardless, and Kyler's rehab is just another monkey wrench. I wouldnt be shocked if he has played his last snap as a Cardinal. But the #1 pick is decided week one when the Commanders are actually trying to let Sam Howell win, and they get their lone W over Arizona. The Raiders dont have a real backup plan from the Jimmy G saga, and they werent good last year either. Indy does growing pains with Richardson, but there is very limited talent across the rest of the roster. Carolina is going to be painfully competent for all Fan Bases interested, but they just arent going to have any offense, so low scoring games and close losses for most of the year. The Rams finally have a FRP, maybe the 3rd (or 4th) QB prospect will be enough to keep McVay interested? And away from Retirement? Even when the Packers fall off after decades, we actually end up with a Higer FRP than them, it will be so great to see happen. Bucs are still trying to win with that roster, and unfortunately for them, Baker is likely to pull one or two out of his Butt early on before they shed every asset they can which keeps them way from the top of the draft. Ive talked about the Bears, but a pair of Top 10 picks would be Exactly what we need to complete this rebuild and send us off as the Favorites of the North for a while. I just cant assume Tua's health for the Dolphins, and that Division is now crazy good. Titans try to go one more time with the mess of a Roster/Cap they have, and its probably infuriating for Vrabel. And as I said before, the Chargers finally fall apart enough to move on and ger an Offensive mind for Herbert.

I will be honest I would be stunned if Washington are that bad...yeah the QB is a massive question mark but they have enough weapons on the outside to at least be someone productive and more importantly that D is legit good...like could be top 10 good...I also think Indy will be better this year...the OL will get healthy and they will turn to an offence like ours last season to at least get something going...

The Rams however I see being really terrible...Bucs could also be in that conversation and of course health will be massive for every team.