2023 Around the League

HuskieBear

9 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

But now it's all like.   I liked Fields all along.  That other guy was the idiot who like Trey Lance.  

LOL

Ive had debates with people before on this, and I dont think we will ever get the real truth. They are too successful to ever throw the other under the bus

But I think it all started with them dumbly panicking and trading up. There was absolutely no reason for that with 3 more QBs on the board

But when it comes down to it, I still think Kyle wanted Mac Jones, he just fits too much what he wants in his QB. Just look what he did with Brock Purdy. 

I think Lynch liked Lance, because he stuck his neck out to trade up and once he did that, you cant then pick Mac Jones. And the two of them decided that there was plenty of good enough traits in Lance to justify the trade up, and Shanahan agreed he should be able to atleast run his offense as a baseline. Thats a pretty low gamble, and it still failed.

Its just shocking to me that it doesnt seem that Justin Fields was EVER an option for them. Which regardless of who was the one to make the Trey Lance call, is actually the bigger mistake.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Surely it’ll go well for them 

The skeptic in me:

AR had Aaron Jones (equal to or better than current Dalvin Cook), Davante (better than Wilson), a better OL and also Lazard and Cobb while in GB, against the lesser conference, and couldn’t even get to the Super Bowl despite having home field advantage, let alone win it. Now his team might be the 3rd best one in his own division. 

Edited by AZBearsFan

19 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

The skeptic in me:

AR had Aaron Jones (equal to or better than current Dalvin Cook), Davante (better than Wilson), a better OL and also Lazard and Cobb while in GB, against the lesser conference, and couldn’t even get to the Super Bowl despite having home field advantage, let alone win it. Now his team might be the 3rd best one in his own division. 

I’d say don’t sleep on Wilson, his release is mind blowing. Lazard and Cobb would struggle in UFL. That defense is awesome though. So good that AR just has to do enough and not screw up and they’ll go far. GB can add a million pieces to their defense in the first and it’s still embarrassing. 

23 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Box score analysis: 10-15 66% 112 yds 1 td 0 int doesnt paint the same picture for me

Box score is totally lacking context, and youtube doesn't come close to telling the story, you have to see it to believe it.

Armchair analysis: I think everything JF1 has had said bad about him, you saw on full display in Lance.  Holding on the ball too long: Lance had over 4 secs time-to-throw...and was still taking sacks.  The TD was not just a dropped int, it was an int that not only did the DB (Duke Shelley) fail to secure, he strangely bobbled it forward, 12 yards away from the intended target and it miraculously landed in Ross Dwelleys hands.  It literally did not occur on screen.  He had another Int dropped by a LB later.  His first 3 drives were 3 and outs resulting in...checks notes...1 YARD GAINED.  The 4th drive he picked it up a little bit with a couple nice intermediate throws and then threw the Intercep...TD in the endzone.  One of the best descriptions I heard, courtesy of Emanuel Acho, it was like he had his eyes closed right up until the ball was snapped and then was surprised by what he saw.  

And I say all of this as a guy who really liked Trey Lance coming out.  Trey is not ready for the NFL and I don't know if he will ever be, but he isn't going to get better sitting on the sideline anymore.  He needs to play, but unless you are willing to lose A LOT of games while you figure out if he can ever figure it out, he can't play for an NFL team.  Which takes me back to my original point, he probably needs to go play in the XFL for a year, maybe 2 before he comes back to the NFL. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Here we go on the blame shifting ...

At the time. I was certain it was all a smokescreen and they were taking Fields.  I thought the Jets were crazy for taking Wilson and there was no way the 9ers were that dumb.  I was convinced we were going to get Lance and really had dug into him, and if Lance is the pick the Andy Dalton signing makes perfect sense.  Bc Lance needed to sit and be brought along slowly.  None the less, we got one of the most ridiculously gifted QBs the league has ever seen, and the 9ers have Brock Purdy.

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

I’d say don’t sleep on Wilson, his release is mind blowing. Lazard and Cobb would struggle in UFL. That defense is awesome though. So good that AR just has to do enough and not screw up and they’ll go far. GB can add a million pieces to their defense in the first and it’s still embarrassing. 

Wasn’t meant as a dig on Wilson at all. I wish he was a Bear. But Adams is a HOF. Wilson may some day be on his level, but for now Green Bay Adams >> 2023 Wilson.

Also, last year’s GB defense was mid (17th in points allowed), but it was better than that the few years prior:

2021: 13th 

2020: 13th

2019: 9th 

6 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

At the time. I was certain it was all a smokescreen and they were taking Fields.  I thought the Jets were crazy for taking Wilson and there was no way the 9ers were that dumb.  I was convinced we were going to get Lance and really had dug into him, and if Lance is the pick the Andy Dalton signing makes perfect sense.  Bc Lance needed to sit and be brought along slowly.  None the less, we got one of the most ridiculously gifted QBs the league has ever seen, and the 9ers have Brock Purdy.

If there was a way to condense Lance's play into a super short video and do a tik tok or something with his PFF grade on screen the whole time it would probably be really useful as a twitter comment whenever someone tosses out a PFF score that nutty **** like Sam Mustipher is a top 10 anything. 

As for the QBs of 2021,  I can recall thinking "if only the Bears could get Zach Wilson!" so...

2 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

If there was a way to condense Lance's play into a super short video and do a tik tok or something with his PFF grade on screen the whole time it would probably be really useful as a twitter comment whenever someone tosses out a PFF score that nutty **** like Sam Mustipher is a top 10 anything. 

As for the QBs of 2021,  I can recall thinking "if only the Bears could get Zach Wilson!" so...

I mean honestly I can't think of 10 centers with the initial SM that are better than Musty. So top 10 is confirmed there. 

I’m not really in a position to judge since I was low on Mahomes as a prospect, but I was never even remotely on the Zach Wilson bandwagon and was called clueless for not liking him at all. It felt so obvious. This was when teams were trying so hard to get a Mahomes or Allen that they were tossing weird mechanic risks into the ring. Trey Lance was a part of this too, although he was the end part of the small school raw talent “I can fix him” effort in the nfl. Fields’ biggest downfall in college was not using his legs and having a great OL and WR corps to let him take naps in the pocket and seem/(actually become) indecisive or slow. 

11 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

The skeptic in me:

at least all the QBs in the AFC are way worse than the QBs in the NFC

• Like 1