Breakout Players 2023

SmittyBacall

Pats:

scotty washington, marcus jones, pierre strong, and tyquan thornton are the only players on the Pats who may make a jump from small role player to starter-level production. hopefully cole strange jumps too.

maybe offensive tackle calvin anderson can have a mid-career ascension to being a reliable full time starter. certainly something to keep an eye on.

do mac jones, rhamondre stevenson, mike gesicki, kyle dugger, and/or christian barmore jump up to the level of non-alternate pro bowlers? perhaps jawhaun bentley or deatrich wise rise to that level but i believe theyre perceived to have a lower ceiling than the others.

most likely: Marcus Jones and Mike Gesicki

Edited by DoleINGout

13 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

He’s another guy I has typed out but removed last minute. It would not surprise me at all, even in a heavy rotation, for him to see 8+ sacks this year. 

yep... good call from the non Bengals fan... 

If he hits his potential and the rookie hits... DE is going to be a serious plus on this team.... 

For the Cardinals, a lot of people are going to pick Trey McBride - TE. And that's a pretty good pick. He flashed last year at the end as a receiver, and is already the best blocking TE on the roster. He has reliable hands and plenty of size, something that the Cards will be greatly lacking if DeAndre Hopkins skips town. McBride was the undisputed #1 TE in the draft last year and the focal point of the Colorado State offense for years. With Ertz out due to a torn ACL, McBride could shine.

Another pick? Marco Wilson - CB is a sleeper pick after the departure of Byron Murphy in free agency. He has slowly gotten more consistent in the NFL after an up-and-down season as a 4th-round rookie starter in 2021. Wilson has the physical profile of a #1 CB with a long frame, elite speed, smooth turning ability, and plenty of explosion. It's always been a question of how polished he could get, and I expect another step forward in 2023 as the Cardinals' #1 after a 2022 that featured the most impressive Andy Dalton pick-6 of all time.

For the Broncos, Zach Allen - DE is an excellent football player. He was a consensus 1st-round talent in 2019, but was held back due to Vance Joseph's policy of limiting playing time for young players. He had taken multiple steps forward the last couple years, culminating in this past season where he was a force in both phases of the game, just without the flashy numbers. For a player of his talent, though, the numbers will come. He outplayed JJ Watt at times and I think he could have 15+ TFLs with 9+ sacks in 2023.

For the Titans, the easy picks are Treylon Burks and Chig Okonkwo.  Chig may not count, even, since he had such a big rookie season.  Burks didn't see the field as much as he should have, so if he stays healthy, he'll be easily the top option for the Titans at WR and have a big year.  As bad as the Titans are at WR, he doesn't even need to be particularly good to have a huge season.

One that's less easy would be Tre Avery.  He was the best CB on the team not named Kristian Fulton last year, and if he takes a step forward, will be a very solid corner.

Dark horses would be Naquan Jones, Monty Rice, and Kyle Phillips.

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I think he's going to be a stud for you guys eventually.

So did a lot of people last offseason.  The way he played when he was on the field ought to raise some doubts.

The Titans need a depth receiver to break out in a big way to have a passable group, so I hope he does.  But I'm not holding my breath.

Not sure if this counts - because he's already very good - but a RBBC in 2020, a knee injury in 2021 and lingering effects of that knee injury in 2022 have limited JK Dobbins' career best season up to this point to ~800 yards. I fully expect Dobbins to have 1300+ YFS this year and double digit TDs.

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Not sure if this counts - because he's already very good - but a RBBC in 2020, a knee injury in 2021 and lingering effects of that knee injury in 2022 have limited JK Dobbins' career best season up to this point to ~800 yards. I fully expect Dobbins to have 1300+ YFS this year and double digit TDs.

I thought about Dobbins. He’s a beast. I could see him going for 1300 pure rush yards if they don’t committee it. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

I need to see him run without a limp first.

• Like 1

We have more obvious ones like Doubs or Watson, but I'll go with a guy our staff should've been starting a long time ago, and now fortunately they have to with Lowry and Reed gone, TJ Slaton. 1.68 10 yard split at 6'4 330. Vita Vea was a 1.76 for comparison, and that was elite. 

• Like 1

Daniel mentioned him but I truly believe Chig Okonkwo is set for a breakout year. It wouldn’t surprise me if he goes over 800 yards receiving. It’s a tall task but with a bigger role, the talent he’s already shown, and the lack of other legit pass catchers, I think he’s in for a potential huge year.

On 5/24/2023 at 2:27 PM, malak1 said:

Justin Fields

I hope so... I am not a Bears fan at all, but am a Buckeye and I don't hate the Bears.. So rooting for him is easy. Besides my Bengals I will be watching a lot of Bears and Texans games this year... I only quit on Buckeyes players when they go to the stealers, Browns or Cowboys.