Breakout Players 2023

SmittyBacall

57 minutes ago, scar988 said:

For Atlanta:

QB Desmond Ridder

WR Drake London

TE Kyle Pitts

EDGE Arnold Ebiketie

Good list for the falcons imo Ebeketie is my guy i really want to take another step.    2 guys i would like to add to the list of guys who could really improve over last year.     Troy Anderson if the game slows down for him and his mind catches up to his athleticism he could be huge for us.   Also now that he isn't being moved all over the field  and can settle in 1 position i hope with a elite partner next to him.   Richie Grant is a guy i think could do big things for us next to bates if you put him at SS.  With bates covering the deep area that helps Grant a ton imo.

1 minute ago, SmittyBacall said:

He’s another guy I has typed out but removed last minute. It would not surprise me at all, even in a heavy rotation, for him to see 8+ sacks this year. 

Yeah he has always been a high ceiling guy & you saw serious glimpses of greatness out of him last year. He will still probably just be a DPR, but he is a stud. I also considered Zachary Carter, who I really liked as a base LDE coming out of UF. They added weigh to his frame & moved him inside, which I think was weird. That said, I love the power he brings & his movement skills are there as a pass rusher. Just raw, like Ossai is/was. 

10 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Texans-Thomas Booker DT

This is bold - I actually think he might not make the team, he could be a PS designation. Malik Collins and Sheldon Rankins should start, Hassan Ridgeway and Roy Lopez are heavy in the rotation, Kurt Hinish was the better of the two last season and Booker is already behind the rest at OTAs while he’s recovering from a nagging groin injury.

He would need to take a quantum leap to pass those ahead of him. It’s doable, but I’m not betting on it.

16 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This is bold - I actually think he might not make the team, he could be a PS designation. Malik Collins and Sheldon Rankins should start, Hassan Ridgeway and Roy Lopez are heavy in the rotation, Kurt Hinish was the better of the two last season and Booker is already behind the rest at OTAs while he’s recovering from a nagging groin injury.

He would need to take a quantum leap to pass those ahead of him. It’s doable, but I’m not betting on it.

I didn't watch him for Houston, but he was a stud in Stanford. I loved him as a prospect & think he's going to be a good pro going back to his college stuff. I do think he's best served playing 5-Tech in a 3-4 front, but also has the wiggle to play 3-Tech.

22 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I didn't watch him for Houston, but he was a stud in Stanford. I loved him as a prospect & think he's going to be a good pro going back to his college stuff. I do think he's best served playing 5-Tech in a 3-4 front, but also has the wiggle to play 3-Tech.

Oh, I don’t disagree - I thought he was really good in college and projected to be a nice penetrating DT in a front four.

Nagging injuries have really been the narrative for him, however.

• Like 1

The easy pick to have a shot is Sam Howell. That said...

Chase Young? Yes, he was rookie of the year, but he's been MIA for two years and hasn't had the dominant numbers of the Parsons and Bosas of the world. If he lives up to what was believed to be his potential, well, that would certainly be a breakout. 

Kam Curl has a chance to become more than just a local name at safety. 

• Like 4

Outside if Fields for the Bears I have two.

Khalil Herbert - was better than Montgomery all year, running inside and outside. He wasn't just feasting after Montgomery did all the dirty work and wore them defense down either.

Claypool - last year the Bears staff only gave him sparing reps. Once a top 5 pick was looking inevitable he was a reserve used well behind ESB and Pettis. He got 200 snaps in 7 games, and only started 3 due to injury. With Moore getting the lion's share of the defense's attention in the passing game he gets to be the #2, and I'm not sure Mooney gets a lot of time initially with his ankle. I don't think he gets crazy stats but I think him solidifying himself as a solid #2 after the last season or two is a break out.

I really think Dexter will break out but I think he is probably a year away at least. Crazy physical gifts but we will see if he gets to play all along the DL or if they start him as a rotational guy. Really high ceiling though.

3 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

What exactly are we predicting here? Can't see him being anything more than WR3, which was basically what he was in KC.

And until they get rid of Corey Davis, he's at best a niche WR4. 

• Like 2

For the Browns:

JOK: He's already shown to be good and has flashed a ton, but Joe Woods used him (and nearly everyone) horribly. If Schwartz can utilize JOK's strengths, he could be poised for a big year.

Martin Emerson: Was really good for a rookie drafted in the third round. If he keeps progressing, I won't be surprised if he ends up being one of the better CBs in the league.

Elijah Moore: Has shown flashes, but has definitely been held back by horrible QB play. If Watson returns to form, I could see Moore having a great year.

• Like 2

The Chiefs played defensive rookies an astounding 3000 snaps last season, well over 20% of all defensive snaps. Any one of these players could step up.

Trent McDuffie CB 
George Karlaftis EDGE 
Bryan Cook S
Leo Chenal LB
Joshua Williams CB
Jaylen Watson CB

McDuffie and Karlaftis are 1st round picks. They would need to get Pro Bowl recognition. Cook, Williams, and Watson are later picks. Cook will likely step into starter snapcound and he's a hitter. He has a real chance to make a splash. Chenal is also a hitter and he had an impact in the Super Bowl on limited snaps, but the LB has gotten very crowded. Williams has the tools to make a move but Watson is the one with the flair for the dramatic. He owns the record for the longest interception return by a rookie (99 yards TD, also the longest for the 2022 season) and he made the one-handed interception against Trevor Lawrence in the playoffs.

On the offensive side, former 1st round pick Kadarius Toney has already made an impact with the record punt return in the Super Bowl but only played seven games for the Chiefs in 2022. With health and a full season, he could be Patrick Mahomes' favorite target. Or Skyy Moore could make the big step forward and take that role himself. That WR is crowded with talent. Also, don't forget the fan favorite, RB Isiah Pacheco. He outgained the Eagles' RB roster in the Super Bowl.

With so much young talent, it's hard to say who might step up and demand notice. However, the chances are good that someone will.

• Like 1