Breakout Players 2023

SmittyBacall

Give me breakout candidates for 2023. Rookies not included.

For the Bengals, there's a few worth mentioning. First, Dax Hill. Played a handful of snaps out of position due to injury, but will now play full-time at safety. Loved him as a prospect - he's smart, extraordinarily fast, and versatile. I think he comes into his own halfway through the season and plays great the rest of the way. Another name is Cam Taylor-Britt, who played well as a rookie this past year, now has higher expectations heading into his second year with healthy starting experience.

Who you got?

• Like 4

The niners don't really have one, I think...the closest may be Drake Jackson who seems to really be given the shot to take the lead on the opposite side of Bosa (though if he fails, that makes Clelin Ferrell an interesting guy instead) so I'll have to come up with someone from a different team. 

The one that is screaming at me in the face is Kadarius Toney. The problem is that I don't actually trust his motivation to want to play and be great. 

My deep cut one is Nico Collins. 

Kayvon Thibodeaux, 100%. While the Giants chances of success hinge more on the improvement of Evan Neal at RT, it is the other 2022 Giants 1st round pick that is poised to break out this year. The sack numbers weren't there, but anybody who watched the Giants down the stretch last year, especially Cowboys fans, Commanders fans, and Nick Foles, can tell you that Thibs became a force. I'm really looking forward to him showing off this year.

• Like 1

He had a very solid year for us last year, but I think he can really explode this year- Donovan Peoples Jones. He had 61 catches, 800+ yards and 3 TDs. 

I think he could be a 1000+ yard receiver and get 6+ TDs with Watson.

Obviously everything depends on Watson.

I’m going to take a wild stab in the dark and say Nico Collins has a surge of a season with CJ Stroud as QB. There have been flashes of moments where Collins looks like a #1 WR, where he uses his length and body control to make some nice plays - but you can only do so much with Davis Mills under Center.

Stroud should be able to put Collins in position to make a few big plays - at his peak, I can see that two year stretch that Kenny Golliday had in Detroit, 1,000 yards and a few TDs.

• Like 2

Going with a dark horse candidate in Clyde Edwards-Helaire. Pacheco will likely get the bulk of the carries. But Clyde and Pacheco performed very similarly against the same opponents. I think a decent amount of Clyde's disappointment was his usage and the OL still coming together. If he gets enough touches, he could breakout.

I guess you could argue he’s already broken out but i think Jaelan Phillips will become Miami best player on D and will establish himself as a top pass rusher in the league/perennial 10+ sack per year guy. 

6-6 265lbs, kids a freak of nature

• Like 4

Christian Barmore for NE. 

Showed some nice potential as a rookie to go along with some pre-draft hype, then lost more time last year with a knee injury. If he can stay healthy, he’s the main guy to look at on the Pats’ interior.

Bears-Jaquon Brisker SS

Bengals-Joseph Ossai DE

Bills-Gregory Rousseau DE

Broncos-KJ Hamler WR

Browns-Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah OLB

Buccaneers-Rachaad White RB

Cardinals-Trey McBride TE

Chargers-Isaiah Spiller RB

Chiefs-Leo Chenal MLB

Colts-Will Mallory TE

Commanders-Sam Howell QB

Cowboys-Peyton Hendershot TE

Dolphins-Jaelan Phillips DE

Eagles-Nakobe Dean ILB

Falcons-Bijan Robinson RB

49ers-Clellin Ferrell DE

Giants-WanDale Robinson WR

Jaguars-Travon Walker DE

Jets-Micheal Clemons DE

Lions-Kerby Joseph FS

Packers-Devonte Wyatt DT

Panthers-Tommy Tremble TE

Patriots-Jabrill Peppers SS

Raiders-Malcolm Koonce DE

Rams-Ochaun Mathis DE

Ravens-Kyu Blu Kelly CB

Saints-Payton Turner DE

Seahawks-Boye Mafe DE

Steelers-Demarvin Leal DT

Texans-Thomas Booker DT

Titans-Caleb Farley CB

Vikings-Marcus Davenport DE

*Tried not to include rookies, unless they were later round players I think will be great right away. Or Bijan, who will be a top 3 RB day 1.

Top 5 Breakouts By Overall Jump:

1. Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah OLB

2. Nakobe Dean MLB

3. Sam Howell QB

4. Travon Walker DE

5. Ochaun Mathis DE

Edited by BetterCallSaul
  • Like 2