Each Franchise's most talented team since the turn of the Century

Danger

22 hours ago, Sugashane said:

The 2018 Bears and 2006 Bears were a competent QB and OC (or HC in 2018's case since he was the playcaller) away from Super Bowls. Both would have had to ride the defense but Rex had 3 turnovers in the Super Bowl and condensed the field so much the Colts defense had an easy day letting him just dink and dunk then make him crumble during a long drive. The 2018 Bears may have had 350 yards on offense but still only managed 15 points vs a tough Philly team. While their DT tipped the ball and caused the Double Doink heard around the world, the game shouldn't have been in that position to begin with. Bears defense had 2 turnovers to 0 for Philly because Bennett got a penalty on an INT I believe, so the turnover differential was in Chicago's favor too.

Now offensively alone the 2013 Bears were by far the best since 2000. About 28ppg to tie with NE for 2nd in the league, 32 passing TDs (5th in the league), 4.5 YPA rushing (7th in the league), 5th in yards per drive and points per drive. Cutler, Forte, Marshall, Jeffery, Martellus Bennett, and Earl Bennett for the skill positions. Marshall was a top 5 WR IMO and Jeffery was a top 25 WR, Forte was one of the best all around backs in the league, M. Bennett was a great blocker and 4th option in the passing game, and Bennett may have been just depth but as a WR3 he was a damn good option. Had really underrated hands and rarely dropped a pass, which is about all you can ask for from a WR3/4 IMO. OL had Kyle Long in his prime, Matt Slauson, Bushrod, Garza and Mills - so far better than the norm throughout the Bears' normal OL and a top 10 line overall IMO with Garza and Mills being the weakest two. Hester was returning and always a threat and of course Gould was great again with about a 90% hit rate. While those two weren't on offense (Hester was removed from offense entirely for some reason) they still helped put up points so I threw them in. Damn shame the defense was pathetic.

The 2018 Bears are one of the best defenses of the last 20 years 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

The 04 team was overrated. The NFC was terrible that year. I thought the 3 best teams in the NFL were all AFC

Pittsburgh and New England I'll give you, but those two and the Eagles were far and away the best teams that year IMO. Colts weren't it IMO.

Broncos would be 2012/2013. 

The 2015 Broncos defence was ridic but Peyton fell off hard by that point.

In 2013 he was setting records and that defense was still great. A few injuries late in the year and then that superbowl against the Hawks where literally everything that could go wrong, went wrong, will make this team a lot more forgettable despite being a really strong team on both sides of the ball. 

With that said, I actually think the 2012 team was the best of all. 13-3 and looked great until running into Flacco on his amazing playoff run. Even then, the Broncos should've won that game but Rahim Moore's whiff on the mile high miracle and John Fox's cowardice lost it. I'm certain if that team gets past Baltimore, it wins the superbowl pretty comfortably. If I recall correctly, we started 2-3 with a bunch of tight losses against close teams as Manning was still working his way back into it after missing a year, but we were utterly dominant after that and I don't think there was a point where we even looked close to losing until that Baltimore game in the playoffs.

• Like 1

- 2004 Colts high powered offense with Manning having 49 TDs and 3 WRs with 1,000 receiving yards and 10 TDs, Edge getting 1,500 rushing yards and 2,000 all purpose yards and 9 TDs; Mathis and Freeney combined for 26.5 sacks 

- 2006 Colts finally got over the hump of beating the Patriots in the playoffs and won the Super Bowl 

- 2009 Colts started out undefeated until sitting starters for the last 2 games then blew through the playoffs until Hank Basket bobbled an onside kick that gave the Saints the momentum to knockout the Colts 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

- 2004 Colts high powered offense with Manning having 49 TDs and 3 WRs with 1,000 receiving yards and 10 TDs, Edge getting 1,500 rushing yards and 2,000 all purpose yards and 9 TDs; Mathis and Freeney combined for 26.5 sacks 

- 2006 Colts finally got over the hump of beating the Patriots in the playoffs and won the Super Bowl 

- 2009 Colts started out undefeated until sitting starters for the last 2 games then blew through the playoffs until Hank Basket bobbled an onside kick that gave the Saints the momentum to knockout the Colts 

I'd put 2005 up there. 14-2, 8-game win streak, swept their division, second in points per game and points allowed. Shame about how it ended.

34 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

I feel like a lot of people will say their best team lost the Super Bowl, which is interesting.

I think that 2018 has an argument over 2001 for the Rams, IF Kupp had played and Gurley been 100% for that Super Bowl.

But ultimately have to say 2001.

2001 Rams were top 3 in defense and number 1 on offense. MVP quarterback, MVP running back, experienced champions. Won by an average of two touchdowns a game.

2021 had serious star power but didn’t have the defense or consistency of that 2001 team

51 minutes ago, Nightime said:

2001 Rams were top 3 in defense and number 1 on offense. MVP quarterback, MVP running back, experienced champions. Won by an average of two touchdowns a game.

2021 had serious star power but didn’t have the defense or consistency of that 2001 team

Yea I said 2018 because that team was definitely better than the 2021 team statistically.

2018 was interesting...the defense ranked poorly during the season but was pretty dominant in the playoffs.

But the big thing there is health....if Marshall tweaked a knee and was a shell of himself and if Torry or Isaac tore their ACL during that season - then I doubt that team even makes the Super Bowl. We beat the Eagles 29-24 in the NFCCG I believe and Marshall was the main reason why. If he played like Gurley did in the 2018 NFCCG, we likely lose.

So I guess it really depends on what we're doing with injuries. But when I read "talented team" I put aside any injuries.

And other NFL fans now know what Rams fans knew back then - that Kupp is a BEAST. So having him alone likely means we win that Super Bowl in 2018.

So again thinking about talent here. The 2018 defense, despite not being as good statistically as the 2001 defense, had a LOT more star power. The offense had a LOT less to be sure, but weirdly ranked similarly