Each Franchise's most talented team since the turn of the Century

Danger

Ok, wasn't sure whether to put this here or in Comparisons but

I thought it'd be a fun thing to discuss. Should be pretty explanatory but for example: 

The Eagles it would come down to 3 possibilities

2004 Eagles
2017 Eagles
2022 Eagles

My personal belief is that the '22 team was the best. 04 had Andy Reid at the helm which did a lot to mask certain weaknesses. '17 had Nick Foles just going Super Saiyan on an unforgettable run, and while the team was solid and all around good, it didn't seem to just overwhelm with talent the way the '22 team did in my eyes.

If I wanted to further break it down I could do position by position. I encourage you all to discuss the franchise you're a fan of, and see if we find some disagreements from fans of other teams with an outside perspective so to speak.

I believe for the steelers it's 2017...they had like 10 pro bowl players on that team but unfortunately it was a total disaster at the end and the locker room became more and more a circus throughout the season.Big time drama almost every week despite our 13-3 regular season record

Team like 2004,2005,2008 and 2010 also deserve consideration

Edited by Steelersfan43
  • Like 1

2009 Vikings was a great team. But that didn’t last long going from Favre to McNabb to Ponder. 

Zimmer had a nice run but his luck ran out on defense. That one year with Case Keenum was fun but you could tell the team had no business in the playoffs after the Diggs miracle. 

• Like 1

This current Bengals team is the deepest it's been since the two Super Bowl teams in the 80s.  The second best was last year's team.  I'd put the 2015 team (Dalton, Green Marvin Jones, Whitworth, Zeitler, Atkins, Dunlap, Johnson, Burfict, Hall, PacMan) in third.  If dalton hadn't gotten hurt, or the playoff game meltdown, then Marvin would have had a playoff win.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

This current Bengals team is the deepest it's been since the two Super Bowl teams in the 80s.  The second best was last year's team.  I'd put the 2015 team (Dalton, Green Marvin Jones, Whitworth, Zeitler, Atkins, Dunlap, Johnson, Burfict, Hall, PacMan) in third.  If dalton hadn't gotten hurt, or the playoff game meltdown, then Marvin would have had a playoff win.

2005 was an awesome team too.. If Carson doesn't get Kimoed and Henry doesn't get hurt on the same play.. They could have won it all for sure.. Stealers were the 6 seed and ended up winning it.

But I agree that what they have now it the deepest and best... can't wait for this year. 

5 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

2005 was an awesome team too.. If Carson doesn't get Kimoed and Henry doesn't get hurt on the same play.. They could have won it all for sure.. Stealers were the 6 seed and ended up winning it.

But I agree that what they have now it the deepest and best... can't wait for this year. 

I thought about them too.  They were better on offense, but I think 2015 was more well rounded.  If we could count the 2021-2023 team as one, I'd definitely have 2005 in the 3 spot

Edited by INbengalfan
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

The 2005 bengals had a awful defense too especially in the second half of the season.

4 minutes ago, Steelersfan43 said:

The 2005 bengals had a awful defense too especially in the second half of the season.

I can't argue that, but they were good enough on offense to win it all if that play doesn't happen... But thats football... chit happens 

The 2018 Bears and 2006 Bears were a competent QB and OC (or HC in 2018's case since he was the playcaller) away from Super Bowls. Both would have had to ride the defense but Rex had 3 turnovers in the Super Bowl and condensed the field so much the Colts defense had an easy day letting him just dink and dunk then make him crumble during a long drive. The 2018 Bears may have had 350 yards on offense but still only managed 15 points vs a tough Philly team. While their DT tipped the ball and caused the Double Doink heard around the world, the game shouldn't have been in that position to begin with. Bears defense had 2 turnovers to 0 for Philly because Bennett got a penalty on an INT I believe, so the turnover differential was in Chicago's favor too.

Now offensively alone the 2013 Bears were by far the best since 2000. About 28ppg to tie with NE for 2nd in the league, 32 passing TDs (5th in the league), 4.5 YPA rushing (7th in the league), 5th in yards per drive and points per drive. Cutler, Forte, Marshall, Jeffery, Martellus Bennett, and Earl Bennett for the skill positions. Marshall was a top 5 WR IMO and Jeffery was a top 25 WR, Forte was one of the best all around backs in the league, M. Bennett was a great blocker and 4th option in the passing game, and Bennett may have been just depth but as a WR3 he was a damn good option. Had really underrated hands and rarely dropped a pass, which is about all you can ask for from a WR3/4 IMO. OL had Kyle Long in his prime, Matt Slauson, Bushrod, Garza and Mills - so far better than the norm throughout the Bears' normal OL and a top 10 line overall IMO with Garza and Mills being the weakest two. Hester was returning and always a threat and of course Gould was great again with about a 90% hit rate. While those two weren't on offense (Hester was removed from offense entirely for some reason) they still helped put up points so I threw them in. Damn shame the defense was pathetic.

Probably the 2012 Texans - Matt Schaub, Arian Foster and Andre Johnson were healthy all year long and put up video game numbers behind a monster ZBS OL, and it was Y1 of Prime Watt (39 TFLs, 20.5 sacks). 2018 and 2019 have a case, but that’s strictly on Deshaun Watson and DeAndre Hopkins - the team as whole was significantly weaker across the board and Watt wasn’t healthy.

Around Week 16 of 2012, Matt Schaub threw a pick six. Then he threw another vs Cincinnati in the playoffs. He didn’t throw one in the playoff loss vs New England, but the beginning of the end was underway…

On 6/18/2023 at 5:11 PM, Danger said:

Ok, wasn't sure whether to put this here or in Comparisons but

I thought it'd be a fun thing to discuss. Should be pretty explanatory but for example: 

The Eagles it would come down to 3 possibilities

2004 Eagles
2017 Eagles
2022 Eagles

My personal belief is that the '22 team was the best. 04 had Andy Reid at the helm which did a lot to mask certain weaknesses. '17 had Nick Foles just going Super Saiyan on an unforgettable run, and while the team was solid and all around good, it didn't seem to just overwhelm with talent the way the '22 team did in my eyes.

If I wanted to further break it down I could do position by position. I encourage you all to discuss the franchise you're a fan of, and see if we find some disagreements from fans of other teams with an outside perspective so to speak.

The 04 team was overrated. The NFC was terrible that year. I thought the 3 best teams in the NFL were all AFC