Who will win the NFC East in 2023?

notthatbluestuff

Who will win the NFC East in 2023?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the NFC East in 2023?

• Dallas Cowboys
    • New York Giants
    • Philadelphia Eagles
    • Washington Commanders

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/06/2023 at 11:00 PM

18 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I don't agree that the Giants have a better DL. 

I think the depth is undeniably better, and the best player of the bunch is Dexter Lawrence.

In order between the 2 teams- Dexter Lawrence, Jonathan Allen, Da'Ron Payne/Leonard Williams (tie there IMO), A'Shawn Robinson, Rakeem Nunez-Roches, Phidarian Mathis, then whoever else however you want to rank them. Giants have 1, 3t, 4, and 5. Washington has 2, 3t. 

5 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I think the depth is undeniably better, and the best player of the bunch is Dexter Lawrence.

In order between the 2 teams- Dexter Lawrence, Jonathan Allen, Da'Ron Payne/Leonard Williams (tie there IMO), A'Shawn Robinson, Rakeem Nunez-Roches, Phidarian Mathis, then whoever else however you want to rank them. Giants have 1, 3t, 4, and 5. Washington has 2, 3t. 

Montez Sweat is the best DE on either team. I won't include Chase Young because of the injuries but we still have James Smith Williams, Efe Obada and John Ridgeway. Smith Williams and Obada who rotate in the interior both scored similar grades to Robinson and Nunez. So I think its more of an even playing field than saying the Giants are simply better. I mean, even Casey Toohill scored relatively decent for a back up DE. So no, I don't think your depth is undeniably better. I think its a total toss up. I think both teams have very deep talent on the DL though and I think its about even.

2 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

And somehow both aren’t as good as the Eagles group. Just so the newbies know, ACE is known for his hilariously bad Washington takes. Waiting for the “What Week Does Sam Howell Break The TD Record” thread. 

McLaurin is as good as Brown/Smith/Lamb in my opinion. 

It comes down to Doctson development and which Curtis Samuel shows up. Also if they get anything out of Dyami Brown or Dax Milne. 

The potential is there to make an argument but nobody is wrong saying Dallas or Philly has better WR corps

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Hit ‘em with the numbers, Doc. I know you got ‘em. 🤣

Free Agents & Draft, Aggregates, Injuries, Tilt, Schedule, O-Line, Pass Rush

FA Draft | PFF Agg | Few Rn/P Pass | EoS Eos | Win | B L O C K I N G
Team  Gr Rk-Gr | Agg Dif | est Tilt Rush | '22 Dif | Dif | Running Passing '23
               | '23-    | Inj           |         |     | '23 Dif '23-Dif Ovr
               |         |               |         |     | 
Phil  B-  1 A! | 2nd  -1 |  11 R-73  1st |   1 -31 |  -1 | 7th -3   21  -5 1st
Dall  A- 25 C  | 5th  +4 |  17 P132  5th |  10 -18 |  -2 |  13 -10 4th  +5 6th
NYGs  A-  4 A+ |  23  -1 |  25 R-61 29th |   2 -28 |  -½ |  25 -8   24 -10  29
Wash  B+ 23 C+ |  17 -12 |  22 P-23  8th |   5 -20 | -3½ |  22 -18  23  +1  27

The Ease of Schedule numbers swing sharply against the NFC-East, such that all four teams rate to win fewer games.  Washington will likely be hardest hit in the Win/Loss column because of their net loss of personnel strength.

In aggregate rankings Philadelphia dropped into second place because of a mediocre free agency, bouncing back with a glow in the dark draft.  The schedule is a death march, going from easiest to toughest.

Like Washington, Dallas stumbled in the draft but lands at 5th overall in aggregates.  Both they and the Commanders will pass more in 2023--especially Dallas.  As awful as their schedule is, Dallas dropping 18 rungs in Ease of Schedule is the least damaging of the 4 NFC-East teams.  

The Giants did well in free agency and the draft but stand at 23rd in player rankings.  At 29th, they are the only NFC-East pass rush outside the top 8.  Like Philly, they'll run a lot more in 2023.  Even with its ghastly schedule (30th, down from 2nd softest) this team is impossible to predict because Brian Daboll may be the best coach in the NFL right now.

With a decent (B+) free agency and poor (C+) draft, Washington sank from an underperforming 5th (DVOA:22nd) to 17th in aggregate going into 2023.  At QB they are crushing/crashing for Caleb.  Both their pass (23rd) and run (22nd) blocking are disappointing:  slightly better than the NYGs but much worse than that of Philadelphia and Dallas.

This cheap-and-dirty metric rates the NFC-East starters by position rather than individual rankings going into 2023 (an octothorpe, "#", denotes a conditional rating):

=====  2023 PFF Quarterback and Group Positional Rankings, DVOAs  =====

Overalls       O f f e n s i v e ||  Defensives  || Def Dfns | Off Ofns
Agg DVOA Team  QB | RB | Rc | OL || DL | LB | DB || Agg DVOA | Agg DVOA
                  |    |    |    ||    |    |    ||          |
3rd  3rd Phil   4 | 22 |  2 |  1 ||  1 | 31 |  3 ||  10  6th | 2nd  3rd
6th  6th Dall  19 | 10 |  6 |  6 ||  8 | 15 |  6 || 6th  2nd | 6th 15th
 20 21st NYGs  14 |  8 | 25 | 29 ||  9 | 22 | 24 ||  22 29th |  20 10th
 25 22nd Wash #22 | 27 | 19 | 27 ||  3 | 25 | 11 ||  12  9th |  29 28th

Washington has a much better chance of selecting in the top three than contending for the playoffs this year.  The good news is that their 2022 defense exceeded expectations and a sparkling draft in 2024 could put the team into contention for a wildcard.  Their finances and depth are manageable.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/4/2023 at 10:08 AM, aceinthehouse said:

It's a tough call, but I think it's a 3 team race between Philly, Dallas & Washington.

I do not think the Giants are near as good, as the love they are getting from the media. Brian Daboll barely makes the Playoffs on a 9-7-1 record. 

Could he be a very good coach? Absolutely.

But to say it's a 3-team race between Dallas, Philly & the Giants ( leaving Washington out) is absurd. Specially, considering Washington's unstable position at the QB position. 

Remember the good Playoff year in 2016 by the Giants when they went 11-5? Who was their Coach?

Ben McAdoo

He was fired after his 2 season as coach.

So let's hold the reigns a little on the Giants. I think their the least talented team in the East & wouldn't be surprised if they couldn't win 6 games this year.

I think Washington is the most talented team in the East, who has had the worst QB situation. Not just in the East, but arguably the whole NFL. I think this has also played into Coach Rivera's mediocre seasons. 

I think Dallas & Philly have very good talent. Both teams are playoff caliber teams of talent.

Neither should win less than 10 games.

If Sam Howell is good? (Plus the O-line doesn't suck?)

Washington will take both of them down. I have no doubt about it.

So what am I really saying?

I'm saying if Sam Howell is the real deal?

Washington wins 13+ games minimum.

If he's not?

We're looking at another 7-9-1, 8-8-1, or 9-8 type of season.

I don't think they win less than 7 games, however. Even if Howell isn't any good, because Jacoby Brissett can probably play well enough to win a few as the backup. (And the talent around him)

This is wild

• Like 1

Notoriously hard division to predict, infamously hard to repeat win the next season, NYG making strides, Commanders looking like they’re getting things sorted, possible SB hangover from Phillie. Possible upheaval for Phillie with losing their coordinators…..

so with that said, I’ll go Phillie by 2 games.

15 hours ago, Daniel said:

13 wins minimum seems totally reasonable to me.

I think they might even be geared up for an 18 win regular season with obvious stud Sam Howell at the reins.

Considering the schedule is now 17 games? Going 13-4 is not as crazy, as it used to be. Sure, things would have to go near perfect for that to happen.

But as good as the NFC East is? That's probably what it will take to win this Division.

Here's Washington's schedule

Besides the NFC East? Washington plays 2 teams that are Superbowl caliber. The Bills & the 49ers.

There's no other team on this schedule, that makes me think...." O boy...chalk that up as as a loss".

I think the Dolphins & Jets will be competitive games, but not outmatched.

I would imagine, there will be more competitive games as the NFL changes from year to year.

I think Washington winning 9 games is reasonable. I think Washington winning 13 games is doable, if everything goes right.

All in all? How they play their Divisional games, will probably tell the whole story.

Remember, 2 of Washington's wins last year in the Division? Washington beat Philly & Dallas. And Sam Howell debut & the only game in his NFL career is the Dallas win.

Washington has been winning games in spite of the QB position. Not because of it.

If Sam Howell has the North Carolina goods, to give us hope?

Washington will be the team on your schedule, you don't want to play. They are very talented on both sides of the ball.

It's their O-line that concerns me & my fellow fans.

Regular Season

Table inside Article
Week Date Opponent Time TV
1 Sept. 10 Arizona Cardinals 1 p.m. FOX
2 Sept. 17 at Denver Broncos 4:25 p.m. CBS
3 Sept. 24 Buffalo Bills 1 p.m. CBS
4 Oct. 1 at Philadelphia Eagles 1 p.m. FOX
5 Oct. 5 Chicago Bears 8:15 p.m. Prime Video
6 Oct. 15 at Atlanta Falcons 1 p.m. CBS
7 Oct. 22 at New York Giants 1 p.m. CBS
8 Oct. 29 Philadelphia Eagles 1 p.m. FOX
9 Nov. 5 at New England Patriots 1 p.m. FOX