ESPN lets go of substantial NFL coverage staff

RaidersAreOne

22 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

100%, I get more enjoyment out of watching those types of guys wreck practices and have fun. If Steph Curry sold tickets to his shoot around, I'd go and get way more out of it than watching him make some big game 3. Or like when Jimmy Butler decided that day he was going to own TWolves practice, that's the pinnacle.

Not sure how into wrestling you guys are, but within an hour of me is arguably the best wrestling team in the nation for HS (small public school).

When I was in college, a kid of theirs went undefeated and won state. The next year, another kid challenged him in practice to a wrestle-off and BEAT HIM, then went undefeated and won state (the previous kid had to make weight in another class to letter).

So the state title match literally happened behind closed doors in front of their team and coaching staff.

On 7/7/2023 at 1:06 PM, BroncoSojia said:

I honestly would rather listen to her talk about football over some ex-NFL players.

Mina is definitely one of the very few people who has thought "Hey if I'm going to cover this sport maybe I should actually learn the sport." It's crazy how many people who ESPN hires have put 0 effort into actually learning anything about the sport they cover.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2023 at 1:00 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Half of them never graduated from the word salad postgame interviews.

Trent "in the NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE" Dilfer was carried by cohosts at ESPN more than the Ravens defense.

I know Herm Edward is a good person and well respected, but I just can't listen to him. IMO, he adds little to the shows that he appears on

On 7/13/2023 at 12:31 AM, G said:

So a plan needs to start to be put in place to ween the MCU off of high paid actors.

I don’t think this is very accurate either - we really didn’t see such an expansive story being told until the MCU. Prior to this, the most we ever got was a three movie arc; X Men, The Dark Knight trilogy, the original Superman movies - pretty much all of those were 3-5 movies max, and the actors stuck around well into the story, even as costs start piling up for their services.

Hugh Jackman as Wolverine sort of illustrates this - three movies in the original X Men arc, three movies within that original arc with Origins: Wolverine, The Wolverine (the Logan in Japan arc) and Logan (the Old man Logan arc) a critical role in the X-Men First Class universe with Days of Future Past and a seemingly critical role in the MCU with Deadpool 3.

Hugh Jackman is a bankable actor whenever he puts the claws on, yet while people suggest a recasting of Logan to Daniel Radcliffe, Tarot Egerton or Tom Hardy -  it’s Jackman’s phone that gets the ring and his LLC that cashes that eight figure check from the studio. 

• Like 1

Hopefully, cable dies and some channels and shows move to over the air broadcast.

I feel bad for SEC, NBA, and MLB fans. However, it’s time. The SEC can show on ABC and partner with another channel.

The ACC is partnering with the CW channel.

NBA and MLB can go with the Big 3 Networks.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

On 7/11/2023 at 6:41 PM, DontTazeMeBro said:

I feel bad for Suzy Kolber. But has anyone ever turned on a game for her? Or any sideline reporter ever? How many of these people actually moved the needle?

Probably not, but let's be real, it's probably a lot cheaper to play Kolber to do that than to pay some former player who doesn't move the needle either

8 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

I know Herm Edward is a good person and well respected, but I just can't listen to him. IMO, he adds little to the shows that he appears on

The problem with the 99% of former players and coaches is that they refuse to ever offer any criticism because of player/coach fraternity, but the entire reason they're even there is to offer their perspective as a former player or coach. The number of former players who can give insight and aren't afraid to be critical can be counted on maybe 2 hands. 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2023 at 6:18 AM, MWil23 said:

Not sure how into wrestling you guys are, but within an hour of me is arguably the best wrestling team in the nation for HS (small public school).

When I was in college, a kid of theirs went undefeated and won state. The next year, another kid challenged him in practice to a wrestle-off and BEAT HIM, then went undefeated and won state (the previous kid had to make weight in another class to letter).

So the state title match literally happened behind closed doors in front of their team and coaching staff.

You talking about that small school that's NE of Dayton?

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Graham HS

I dated a girl from Troy when I was in college and her brother bitched INCESSANTLY about Graham since he was still in high school and wrestled at the time. I'm not even sure Troy was the same level as Graham then either lol. 

51 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I dated a girl from Troy when I was in college and her brother bitched INCESSANTLY about Graham since he was still in high school and wrestled at the time. I'm not even sure Troy was the same level as Graham then either lol. 

The only wrestlers that matter are:  Hulk Hogan, Bruno Sammartino, and The Undertaker.  And Golddust.  Never forget the name of Golddust.

DefenselessSpectacularBrownbear-size_res

• Like 1

Max Kellerman is superb when talking about boxing.  I love listening to his insight about that sport.  Just about any other topic, and I think the guy is 1000% full of **** and can be completely thrown in the trash.  So the boxing fan feels here, but the thinking about anything else part of me really loves to see Max get the axe. 

Sports coverage has turned to garbage though.  I used to like the debate format when I was a kid, and ESPN had "The Sports Reporters" on, on Sundays.  They would get in some debates and it was good, and you could see different perspectives, which always makes you less biased.  I was a lot younger, but I felt that the guys on that show were honest about their arguments and it was entertaining.  Then PTI and Around the Horn happened.  Those shows took off.  It was fun for a bit, but then it became who can say the wildest thing and then the other guys try to walk it back.  Now, it has gone completely in that direction, and it is unbearable.  Whether the guys are just saying the most outrageous things, or have a hate boner for a particular star, it is unwatchable.  

Why is Nick Wright getting paid by anyone, when you could give me free booze to say dumb things about stuff I don't know anything about, with the same amount of insight.  Hopefully the pendulum will swing back to the actual sports coverage, but I am not holding my breath.  

• Like 1