Starter competitions for each team

Mr.UFO

19 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I think LT vs RT is overrated in today's NFL. The DL on most teams move around for mismatches. The Chiefs put out their best 5 players on OL and then put players where they play best. To me, that's Smith/PTW-Thuney-Humprhey-Smith-Taylor. It'll come down to how much of Smith's decline was due to his health and if he's recovered.

I think Taylor was penciled in at LT until Smith was signed. But pre-Smith signing, I still think Taylor would've competed with PTW to see where they all would've played; would our best 5 have been better with PTW/Taylor or Taylor/Niang? Again, it'd come down to the 5 best and then deciding how they line up -- and the 3 IOL are set. Niang will likely still be the swing OT with Smith/PTW starting at LT imo. I think we'll keep 9 OL with the 5 starters plus Allegretti, Niang, Smith/PTW, and Morris. Kinnard would be my 10th man if we keep one more.

Perhaps.  But there are OL that fit the left or right side better.  Not in the match-up the best pass rusher on the blind side way, like you said, they move around a lot, but some guys are like Zoolander, and they just can't turn left.  

• Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 12:49 PM, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

Unless Mauch completely falls on his face in training camp, he's already penciled in as a starter at RG

as @sryan66611 mentioned earlier, I also believe that Mauch has a chance to push Goedeke to start at RT, if he comes out the gate strong

Do you think that Mauch can play tackle? During the draft process and my super extensive prospect scouting, I came away thinking Mauch is a really good guard for like 8-10 years and just leave him there.  So much so, that I feel like there is no reason to take him away from guard.

29 minutes ago, Mr.UFO said:

ThatJerkDave -- I love that username.

It stems from being just some jerk on the internet giving his opinions.  In the end, this is all supposed to be fun.  Watching the games, and talking about your team.  If I say that I hate your favorite player, who cares? I am just some jerk on the internet.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Perhaps.  But there are OL that fit the left or right side better.  Not in the match-up the best pass rusher on the blind side way, like you said, they move around a lot, but some guys are like Zoolander, and they just can't turn left.  

People don’t really think about this - going from RT to LT is like asking a right handed boxer to go southpaw or a baseball player to switch hit. They CAN do it, but they have to relearn everything as far as hand placement/punch, footwork in pass protection, run blocking, etc.

Easier in theory than in reality.

• Like 2

On 7/15/2023 at 3:54 PM, ThatJerkDave said:

Do you think that Mauch can play tackle? During the draft process and my super extensive prospect scouting, I came away thinking Mauch is a really good guard for like 8-10 years and just leave him there.  So much so, that I feel like there is no reason to take him away from guard.

My hope for him being able to steal the RT spot is more of a testament to how shaky our RT position is, I'm not entirely confident that Goedeke can play there at a high level

I think Mauch is probably best left at one of the Guard spots just due to him being a rookie and getting up to speed , but if he can show extra athleticism in camp, maybe he can convince ppl on the staff that he deserves a look at RT , especially since he played Tackle in college 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

My hope for him being able to steal the RT spot is more of a testament to how shaky our RT position is, I'm not entirely confident that Goedeke can play there at a high level

I think Mauch is probably best left at one of the Guard spots just due to him being a rookie and getting up to speed , but if he can show extra athleticism in camp, maybe he can convince ppl on the staff that he deserves a look at RT , especially since he played Tackle in college 

Then I must ask... would you prefer an 8/10 guard paired with a 4/10 tackle, or a 6/10 tackle paired with a 6/10 guard?  We kind of have the same thing with Elgton Jenkins.  He can play all 5.  But he is really good at LG.  Even if he were the best RT on the team, he is a lot better at LG.  Is it better to make the all around team better, or play the player in the position that he is strongest at? I have been of the opinion that you play the guy at his best position and make due at the others.  But I totally see the other side.  Again, in my super duper never fail 100% correct 100% of the time scouting abilities* opinion, Mauch looks like a guard that will be very, very good for 8-10 seasons, and you just don't worry about it.

*Equanimeous St. Brown is going to break out this year, just you wait!

5 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Then I must ask... would you prefer an 8/10 guard paired with a 4/10 tackle, or a 6/10 tackle paired with a 6/10 guard?  We kind of have the same thing with Elgton Jenkins.  He can play all 5.  But he is really good at LG.  Even if he were the best RT on the team, he is a lot better at LG.  Is it better to make the all around team better, or play the player in the position that he is strongest at? I have been of the opinion that you play the guy at his best position and make due at the others.  But I totally see the other side.  Again, in my super duper never fail 100% correct 100% of the time scouting abilities* opinion, Mauch looks like a guard that will be very, very good for 8-10 seasons, and you just don't worry about it.

This was the Justin Pugh conundrum. He was a stud at guard for the Giants. Then they put him at RT because the Giants' tackle situation was awful for years. He wasn't very good. But he was sometimes serviceable and the best option for them. When he first came to the Cardinals, the hope was that he'd be guard but he was forced into tackle initially due to lack of other options at the position. When Justin Murray broke out and the Cards were able to add Beachum, Pugh went back to guard and was above average-to-great when he played. 

5 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think in the case of OL, you actually want the two 6/10s.  A good OL is only as good as its weakest link, and even if you have a 10/10 LT, opposing defenses will just stunt against your crappy guys and wreck your offense.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2023 at 1:02 AM, Mr.UFO said:

Bills
G: David Edwards vs Connor J. McGovern

I think it’s McGovern job to lose. Having Edwards there is really nice insurance though. Especially with likely starting a rookie at RG. Having someone who knows Kromer and his style out there every practice will be great.

Another Bills competition to watch is slot WR (Shakir vs Harty vs Sheffield) and the usage they’ll have vs 12 personnel.

On 7/13/2023 at 1:02 AM, Mr.UFO said:

Joe Tippmann vs Connor McGovern

I'm not so sure Tippmann is going to be favored.

Our DE snaps are going to be the toughest competition between JFM, Lawson, JJ, McDonald, Huff, and Clemons. JFM and Clemons can both play inside as well.

22 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

16 hours ago, Daniel said:

I think in the case of OL, you actually want the two 6/10s.  A good OL is only as good as its weakest link, and even if you have a 10/10 LT, opposing defenses will just stunt against your crappy guys and wreck your offense.

^ yeah well said here, that's how I view it as well