Starter competitions for each team

Mr.UFO

I picked one competition for a starting spot on each NFL team that I am curious about. On some teams, it's the only real starting spot that's up for grabs. If you think another position battle on your team is more interesting or important, or if the one I listed has already been decided, let me know. You know your team better than I do. I know I will probably take a couple of beatings by my fellow posters. The favorite to win the job is listed first.

AFC

Bills
G: David Edwards vs Connor J. McGovern

Dolphins
SS: Brandon Jones vs DeShon Elliott

Jets
Joe Tippmann vs Connor McGovern

Patriots
DE: Keion White vs Deatrich Wise

Bengals
P: Brad Robbins vs Drue Chrisman

Browns
DT: Jordan Elliott vs Perrion Winfrey

Ravens
ELB: Tyus Bowser vs David Ojabo

Steelers
WR: Diontae Johnson vs Allen Robinson

Colts
WR: Josh Downs vs Isaiah McKenzie

Jaguars
ILB: Foyesade Oluokun vs Chad Muma

Texans
Juice Scruggs vs Scott Quessenberry

Titans
ILB: Monty Rice vs Ben Niemann

Broncos
RB: Javonte Williams vs Samaje Perine (NOTE: Both are expected to get significant snaps.)

Chargers
FS: J.T. Woods vs Alohi Gilman

Chiefs
OLB: Drue Tranquill vs Leo Chenal

Raiders
CB: Duke Shelley vs Brandon Facyson

NFC

Commanders
LB: Cody Barton vs Khaleke Hudson

Cowboys
TE: Luke Schoonmaker vs Jake Ferguson

Eagles
ILB: Nicholas Morrow vs Christian Elliss

Giants
WR: Parris Campbell vs Darius Slayton

Bears
WR: Chase Claypool vs Darnell Mooney

Lions
DT: Isaiah Buggs vs John Cominsky

Packers
OT: Zach Tom vs Yosh Nijman

Vikings
DT: Dean Lowry vs Jaquelin Roy

Buccaneers
K: Chase McLaughlin vs Rodrigo Blankenship

Falcons
ILB: Troy Andersen vs Mykal Walker

Panthers
NT: Bravvion Roy vs Derrick Brown

Saints
DE: Carl Granderson vs Isaiah Foskey

49ers
QB: Brock Purdy vs Trey Lance

Cardinals
OT: Paris Johnson vs Kelvin Beachum

Rams
ELB: Keir Thomas vs Nick Hampton

Seahawks
NT: Cameron Young vs Bryan Mone

Edited by Mr.UFO
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr.UFO said:

49ers
QB: Brock Purdy vs Trey Lance

Not a competition. Brock Purdy is the starter. 

Lance is battling Darnold to be backup, and I would wager Darnold is the favorite to win that role

The offense is largely set, so there's no real starter spots up for grabs. Any competitions are backup focused. 

The niners don't have a ton of competitions. Third linebacker spot is one - DFF, Oren Burks or McCrary ball. In theory one of the rookies could be in play, but I think it's unlikely. 

The second spot up for grabs may be the DE spot across from Bosa. Drake Jackson will be the favorite and be given the opportunity to take it, but Ferrell is there as well. Largely semantics though..  backup, starter.... The niners rotate so much on the line that they will likely play similar snaps 

Buccaneers -   RT is probably the most up for grabs spot as there is no real starter.   Tristan Wirfs is moving to LT and there is supposed to be Luke Goedeke taking the spot but he had a subpar rookie season starting last year after injuries.  Nick Leverett is the competition and started last year at center and did OK.  Small possibility Cody Mauch the rookie wins the starting job.

RT - Luke Goedeke vs. Nick Leverett

QB -  Baker Mayfield vs. Kyle Trask is also intriguing to watch at the moment Baker is considered the starter.

• Like 1

Isaiah Buggs and John Cominsky play two different positions and roles. Buggs is a run stuffing DT who will play less this season (Campbell has stated they want to limit his snaps) and might only start due to necessity. Cominsky is a EDGE rusher who can move inside on full blitz sets but should play in a rotation behind Hutch. 

Only starting roles for the Lions in question are:

1. Is Vaitai healthy? If not, Glasgow would start at RG. 

2. Does Jack Campbell start? If so, does he replace Rodriguez or Anzalone? He plays the same role as Anzalone but our FO seem to have a hard-on for his average play. 

3. Lions play a 4-2-5 base nickle defense. Fully expect Walker/Joseph to start at Safety and Sutton to start at corner. CJGJ will most likely start at NB with Will Harris and Brian Brach getting snaps behind him. Final starting CB spot goes to either Jerry Jacobs or Emmanuel Moseley. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Not a competition. Brock Purdy is the starter. 

Lance is battling Darnold to be backup, and I would wager Darnold is the favorite to win that role

The offense is largely set, so there's no real starter spots up for grabs. Any competitions are backup focused. 

The niners don't have a ton of competitions. Third linebacker spot is one - DFF, Oren Burks or McCrary ball. In theory one of the rookies could be in play, but I think it's unlikely. 

The second spot up for grabs may be the DE spot across from Bosa. Drake Jackson will be the favorite and be given the opportunity to take it, but Ferrell is there as well. Largely semantics though..  backup, starter.... The niners rotate so much on the line that they will likely play similar snaps 

What about the safety spot opposite Hufanga? Could Brown supplant Gipson?

I can tell by your Titans pick that you were struggling to find one. I think the only real competition for a true starting position is at kicker between Caleb Shudak and Trey Wolfe, but that’s boring.

Who the second WR in the pecking order will be is a more interesting question. Right now it’s likely between Kyle Phillips, Nick Westbrook-Ikhine, and Chris Moore. Not a great trio of options, but it’s what we got.

6 hours ago, Mr.UFO said:

Bengals
P: Brad Robbins vs Drue Chrisman

While on paper this looks like a competition, the reality is the team almost assuredly keeps Robbins.  Bengals fans seem united on that front, which is amazing, as we are talking about a Michigan player overtaking an Ohio State player.  

There are only a couple of starting battles worth noting.

Jonah Williams vs La'el Collins vs Jackson Carman for the RT spot.  Collins got hurt at the end of the season and might not be ready.  Jonah got bumped from LT by Orlando Brown.  Carman is the former second rounder still looking to crack the lineup.  Most expect Jonah to win it, but if Carman keeps it close and Collins progresses on the health part, I could see the team listening to offers for Jonah.  Otherwise, it's Jonah Williams' job to lose in reality.

Jordan Battle vs. Nick Scott at SS.  We lost Bell, then signed the former Ram.  Battle was sitting there in the third, so now we have some competition.   With Dax Hill starting at FS, I think we will see some 3 safety sets anyway as Dax may take on the role of TE coverage since we lost Tre Flowers.  Scott probably starts out as the starter, but Batlle overtakes him at some point.  You don't start for three years under Saban if you can't play.

7 hours ago, Mr.UFO said:

Falcons
ILB: Troy Andersen vs Mykal Walker

Not really a competition. Andersen is starting.

The biggest competitions in Atlanta is likely this:

CB2 and 3 Okudah vs. Alford vs. Hughes vs. Phillips 2 of the 4 will start

7 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

What about the safety spot opposite Hufanga? Could Brown supplant Gipson?

Not a competition as far as I am aware. Brown would just have to straight steal it or Gipson straight lose it. 

I do expect Brown to get a bit of run in 3 safety sets though. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mr.UFO said:

Texans
Juice Scruggs vs Scott Quessenberry

I sincerely think Scott Quessenberry is the starter in namesake only - the intention was that Quessenberry was to be a backup last season, but then Justin Britt abruptly retired (as in… the middle of the 2nd quarter of Week 1 last season).

Quessenberry was moderate at C - AJ Cann and Kenyon Green were pretty bad, however. It’s possible that Quessenberry looks better while flanked with a more experienced Green and Shaq Mason. But, I do expect Scruggs to get in quickly, assuming he isn’t a disaster.

An interesting battle is going to be the DE spot opposite Will Anderson - Jerry Hughes is a veteran still playing at a moderate level, but is 34 and really slowing down. Jon Greenard is an absolute terror at DE, with a great 1st step and aggressive hands - but he’s so far been very unhealthy. One of the two will win out…

The Vikings DB situation is the most interesting. Literally have no idea who plays where. Figure that Murphy and Evans will be the favorites for the most playing time. But don’t know if they plan on using Murphy as a slot CB in nickel. So who’s the third CB? Andrew Booth? Mekhi Blackmon? Pretty wide open at CB.

Safety is interesting. Seems they like Josh Mettelus but Harrison Smith and Cam Bynum are likely starters. where does Lewis Cine fit in?