How are those rookies looking?

RaidersAreOne

11 hours ago, Duluther said:

So should the Bills only have Kincaid as a starter? Or one of them as a true slot and both in 11?

I think we’ll see a combination of things. Kincaid as a starting TE out of 11. Knox in at TE in 11 with Shakir in the slot. Knox in at TE in 11 with Kincaid the slot. We’ll still see some 12 as well.

But if Kincaid continues playing and trending like he has while Knox is on IR, it’ll be hard to see them going back to Knox in anything more than a rotational role.

• Like 1

Titans update:

1. Peter Skoronski: Still pretty mid, but he does have to spend a lot of energy helping on his left and right because the Titans OL is pitiful.  Looking like a big waste of draft resources tbh, but not a bad player, so not a total bust.  Hopefully he's able to improve or move to tackle.

3. Tyjae Spears: Henry just had a big game, so Spears has been quieter.  Team is kind of struggling right now figuring out how to get him in while also feeding Henry, but he's been excellent every time he touches the ball.

5-7.  Josh Whyle, Jaleyn Duncan, Colton Dowell: No change from previous update.

I guess that's it really, I can't think of anything else significant, not really sure why I even wanted to update anyone except...oh yeah.

2. Will Levis

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b95282v7cx7vionav4ufrh

Fantastic game.  Plenty of caveats, sure.  He wasn't tested much in his worst attributes, two of his TDs were just tossing the ball long to Hopkins, Derrick Henry had a great game, and the Falcons lost Grady Jarrett early and clearly weren't prepared for how the Titans offense wanted to play.  But still, four goddamn TDs!  Four!

For a first game from a rookie QB who I thought was gonna need some time, you can't ask for better.  Vision was substantially improved, as was his ability to get the ball out quickly.  I was the OG Levis hater, but he plays like this again and I will lead the Daniel-Was-Wrong parade.

• Like 2

Now that we're a 1/2 of the way through the season, I'll do my Atlanta Falcons update:

1st - RB/J Bijan Robinson - A

Robinson has been everything he was advertised to be. But he's also still a rookie. That pace for yards from scrimmage has declined due to him essentially missing a game. He's still a fantastic runner, but his play as a receiver needs improvement. 

2nd - LG Matthew Bergeron - C+

Bergeron is interesting. He's solid all around, but unspectacular. He seems to be getting the LG switch, but still has lapses here and there. For the most part, he's been what I expected him to be. Fringe-starter level as a rookie while he's taking his lumps. He's been much better in some ways because I was expecting him to be almost Jalen Mayfield level bad, but he's actually been serviceable.

3rd - DE Zach Harrison - C-

Pass rush problems for Harrison persist, but he's still a solid player against the run. He has doubled his hurries from the first 4 weeks to the second 4, so there's hope for him to improve. And as a run defender, he's REALLY starting to figure it out. Just him being a poor pass rusher hurts the ceiling of the defense, one that really needs pass rush.

4th - CB Clark Phillips III - INC

Hasn't played a single defensive snap and only played ST when Okudah was hurt. Now that Okudah is back, he's relegated to the bench in a learning role. This hasn't changed since the 1/4 mark.

7th - S DeMarcco Hellams - B (ST), C (D)

Hellams is a good ST player and a core-4 guy. He's also getting some defensive snaps and performing as a fringe starter level there as well. That being said, he's not someone who should be starting any time soon and his 11-12 snaps a game on defense are more than you would expect from a 7th round pick. As a grade on the pick, it's easily a B+ because you rarely get more than a backup you don't want in the game and ST guy. He's a backup you carved a role out for and a really good special teams player. That being said, he's in the right role for his development right now. 

7th - C/OG Jovaughn Gwyn - INC

He's been inactive every single game. This hasn't changed.

(Let me know if I'm being too much of a homer here, but I think I'm being pretty objective.)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • DE Tyree Wilson looks a bit better but overall underwhelming. Still apparently only 75% healthy so hope for a big second year progression. He looks better rushing from the interior fwiw.
  • TE Michael Mayer is a boss. Great possession threat and one HELL of a blocker already. He will be a true well-rounded top 5 TE in time. He won't put up the flashy numbers of some, but I am ok with that if he's an elite blocker
  • DT Byron Young is an enormous whiff. He doesn't even dress iirc.
  • WR Tre Tucker is going to become an amazing deep threat / gadget guy sooner than later. He cooked Derwin James for a TD then a different CB for another last night. He has elite speed. Right up there with the fastest.
  • CB Jakorian Bennett has lots of downs and some highs. He's a raw rookie CB who gets beat. Lots of potential but has been sat for Jack Jones (Understandably)
  • QB Aidan O'Connell has had ups and downs. Was the best rookie QB in the preseason, when he got some PT he looked unready, then good, then very bad, then last night he tossed 4 TDs w/ no picks. I don't think he is our QBOTF but a capable backup is what I anticipate.
  • S Christpher Smith I haven't heard his name once.
  • LB Burney is only a depth LB.
  • DT Silvera played once JMD was fired but then not again. Looks like a potential solid run stuffer with time.

Overall I'd say it's slowly becoming apparent it was a solid draft with the potential to be good if Tyree puts it together.

Now that we're a 3/4 of the way through the season, I'll do my Atlanta Falcons update:

1st - RB/J Bijan Robinson - A

Robinson has been everything he was advertised to be. But he's also still a rookie. He's on pace for over 1,500 all-purpose yards on around 300 touches. Exactly where we thought he would be as a rookie as he adjusted to the pace of the NFL.

2nd - LG Matthew Bergeron - B

Bergeron has taken the step into being one of Atlanta's most reliable offensive linemen. On a group that includes Jake Matthews and Chris Lindstrom, that's a feat in and of itself. He's probably the third best lineman on this team at this point and has taken very well to the left guard switch. Moving from tackle to guard was an issue in pass pro early, but that seems to have been fixed the last 5 games.

3rd - DE Zach Harrison - C-

He's still figuring out pass rush, but has been one of the better run defenders on the team. Might be another season until he sees his first sack, but his work with Calais Campbell in practice is making him a serviceable rotational end right now.

4th - CB Clark Phillips III - C (D), B (ST)

When he has been in the last 4 weeks, he's been a lock down corner. His last game vs. the Buccaneers, he had 6 targets his way, 2 pass deflections, 1 holding penalty and 0 catches allowed. He's still developing as a tackler, but looked good on special teams as well. 

7th - S DeMarcco Hellams - B (ST), C (D)

Hellams is a good ST player and a core-4 guy. He's also started to take reps at strong safety with the FAlcons using Grant as more of a linebacker with Landman out. Hellams is a solid safety, but he's still making some rookie mistakes out there.

7th - C/OG Jovaughn Gwyn - INC

Finally was active in a game, was just on FG unit for ST. 

(Let me know if I'm being too much of a homer here, but I think I'm being pretty objective.)

• 3 weeks later...

Quick relevant Bills update:

Dalton Kincaid: Broke the Bills rookie single season record for receptions today. Star in the making.

O’Cyrus Torrence: has started all 16 games at RG. Has held his own but also struggled with speed. Future is bright though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Quick relevant Bills update:

Dalton Kincaid: Broke the Bills rookie single season record for receptions today. Star in the making.

O’Cyrus Torrence: has started all 16 games at RG. Has held his own but also struggled with speed. Future is bright though. 

I wanted Torrence in Detroit. He’s a good one. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rrrrrrrams said:

i still believe kobie turner should be droy. he leads all rookies in sacks, as a dt.
and could break donalds rookie franchise record.

This Rams draft might be historically good. Between Avila, Puka, Turner and Young.....just absolutely nuts

Chiefs 

1) FAU - Doesn’t even get snaps

2) Rashee Rice - kid is a baller

3) Wanya Morris - he’s starting but not been good

4) Chamarri Conners - a rookie but he’s been a solid addition once Cook went down

5-7 - Not really worth mentioning 

Only one good pick so far, but Rice looks like a star so…🤷‍♂️

Jordan Addison: Really good rookie season with 850 yards and 9 TDs. He basically disappeared when Cousins went down though. With a good QB, I think he'll be a great #2 WR in the NFL. A-

Mekhi Blackmon: Made the top 3 corner spot since early in the season with up and down play. 1 Int and 8 PDs. I think he'll be a solid player for us. C+

Jay Ward: Good on special teams minus a few boneheaded plays. He hasn't been good on defense though. I think we were expecting more out of him. D

Jacqueline Roy: Rotation player on a very weak DL. Hasn't made any splash plays but not a liability. C

Jaren Hall: Extremely limited QB who is small and already 25. His numbers don't look awful but his play has been very weak. He might not even make the team next season. D-

Dewayne McBride: He was bad in the preseason and couldn't make it on a bad group of RBs. F

Ivan Pace: Diamond in the rough. A

NaJee Thompson: Special Teams ace. A

Verdict: Better than last year's draft!

• Like 2