Commanders name Sam Howell starting QB

RaidersAreOne

Here's a little info on Sam Howell ( from wiki)

Drafted in the 5th round at pick #144 by Washington in the 2022 draft. ( out of North Carolina)

He's 22 yrs old. (Turns 23 Sept. 16th)

He's 6'1" , 220 lbs

Highlights & awards-

His 1 game vs Dallas last season as a rookie in the finale was a W. He had 1 TD vs 1 int for 169 yards. 57.9% completion & 35 yards rushing with 1 rushing TD. (83 passer rating)

In College...

As a Freshman Howell finished the regular season completing 234 of 388 passes for 3,347 yards with 35 touchdowns and seven interceptions. He threw for 294 yards and three more touchdowns in the 55–13 win over Temple in the 2019 Military Bowl. He earned Military Bowl MVP honors for his performance, which also included a touchdown reception on a trick play. Howell's 38 touchdown passes was a single-season FBS record for a true freshman quarterback, and he was named ACC Rookie of the Year for his stellar performance that season.[8][9] His yardage and touchdown totals were also the highest in the conference on the year, earning third-team All-ACC honors in addition.[10]

As a Sophomore Howell was included on watchlists for the Maxwell, Manning, and O'Brien awards prior to his sophomore season.[11] He earned ACC Player of the Week honors after throwing for 443 yards against Virginia.[12] Against Wake Forest two weeks later, Howell threw for 550 yards and 6 touchdowns, both school records, while rushing for another touchdown.[13] Howell would record his second career touchdown catch in a 62–26 victory over the Miami Hurricanes. He would finish the season throwing three touchdowns in the Orange Bowl and would earn second-team All-ACC honors in the process.[14] 2020 would be Howell's most successful season as Tar Heel starting quarterback, leading the team to an 8-4 record and a final ranking of 18 in the AP Poll.[15]

As a JuniorMuch like his sophomore year, Howell received significant hype going into his junior campaign, being named to multiple award watchlists, and was also considered one of the top quarterbacks in the nation.[16] Against Georgia State in week two, Howell threw for 352 yards and three touchdowns and rushed for 104 yards and two more scores, becoming the second quarterback in Tar Heel history to throw for over 300 passing yards and 100 rushing yards in the same game.[17] The following week against Virginia, Howell threw for 307 yards and five touchdowns while also rushing for 112 yards, joining Lamar Jackson as the second Power 5 quarterback to post back-to-back games of over 300 passing and 100 rushing yards since 2004.[18]

On the last play of overtime against Pittsburgh, he suffered an injury to his non-throwing shoulder which caused him to miss the following game against Wofford.[19] He made his return the following week in a 34-30 loss to NC State, throwing for 147 yards, one touchdown, and an interception alongside two rushing touchdowns. He finished the season throwing for 3,056 with 24 touchdowns while rushing for 828 yards with 11 touchdowns. He graduated in December 2021 and announced that he would forgo his remaining college eligibility to enter the 2022 NFL Draft.[20][21] Howell would finish his Tar Heel career throwing for 92 touchdown passes and 10,283 yards, both school records. He threw at least one touchdown pass in every game he played in college.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

What are odds Rivera is coaching this team next year?

What would it take for him to be back?

Washington fans what do you think? 

Rivera is probably gone barring the playoffs. He's had 4 years to turn us around and has peaked at Jeff Fisher. I am guessing, after doing some due diligence, Harris is going to get his guys in there. So I would say Ron has a 20% chance to be back next season. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Here's some more info on Howell:

The most successful fifth round QB since 1994 are probably Dan Orlovsky or AJ Feeley.  Historically, it's the weakest round for QBs.

The sixth and seventh rounds have produced more successful QBs.

The odds are definitely against him but I’m excited. I hope he’s the exception. 

The thing about Howell being a 5th rounder. Although it's true that 5th rounders rarely, if ever find success as Daniel pointed out above?

I've never seen a prospect drafted that low, who would have been a 1st-2nd Rd prospect had they entered the draft the year prior. (Or what would have been after his Sophomore year)

So Howell is certainly a rare case.

I'm hopeful, we found our guy. 

2 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

The thing about Howell being a 5th rounder. Although it's true that 5th rounders rarely, if ever find success as Daniel pointed out above?

I've never seen a prospect drafted that low, who would have been a 1st-2nd Rd prospect had they entered the draft the year prior. (Or what would have been after his Sophomore year)

So Howell is certainly a rare case.

I'm hopeful, we found our guy. 

Matt Barkley is basically as close as you can get. Maybe Cody Pickett for a much older example 

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

What are odds Rivera is coaching this team next year?

What would it take for him to be back?

Washington fans what do you think? 

I think Rivera would have to not just make the playoffs but win a playoff game to have a chance to stay the HC.  New owners typically want to pick their own guys. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danger said:

O/U 9.5 games for Rivera this season before he's canned.

I don't think Rivera gets canned, till after the season. Possibly earlier, if they fall out of Playoff contention early on.

So I would easily take the over on 9.5 games. It would take a 1-8 start for that to happen.

And I would bet my 2000 SLK Mercedes Kompresser in Vegas, that doesn't.