2023-24 College Football Prospect Watch

KingTitan

We're just in such a weird spot at QB. We probably won't be in a range to grab one of the top guys if we actually compete for the division, and we probably don't have enough draft capital to move up to grab a guy. That's why I think the best we can hope for is that Malik or Levis takes a step and becomes the guy. I think that's what the team is hoping and why we've invested draft capital into those guys. I don't think that either of those guys would prevent us from drafting a QB if one fell in our laps that we really like, but we just don't have a lot of options on that front if we remain competitive this year.

45 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

We're just in such a weird spot at QB. We probably won't be in a range to grab one of the top guys if we actually compete for the division, and we probably don't have enough draft capital to move up to grab a guy. That's why I think the best we can hope for is that Malik or Levis takes a step and becomes the guy. I think that's what the team is hoping and why we've invested draft capital into those guys. I don't think that either of those guys would prevent us from drafting a QB if one fell in our laps that we really like, but we just don't have a lot of options on that front if we remain competitive this year.

I think QB's will be available throughout the 1st round. 
Williams if he comes out, goes 1 or 2. Same for Maye.

Then after that you have a few guys that might only interest a few teams at a time. Penix is a healthy Hendon Hooker to me. 

A lot of older QBs like Hartman. Guys that been in school forever. It's a deep class, but I don't know if it's strong. 

Right now, I’d rather build the team around Willis/Levis, let them battle it out in 2024 and either one of them shows something to be the QB of the future or we’re in a position to draft/trade for a guy in 2025.

Unless one of the top, premier guys (Williams or Drake) falls to our 1st round pick.

• Like 1

We aren’t going to get Williams, and the only way we get Maye is if his stock drops.

I have Nix as QB3, so I think he would be our top realistic option.

Pennix I agree with KT on (I think), so I would rather stick with what we have than invest in him.

Jordan Travis from FSU might be a first rounder. I liked what I saw from him against LSU.

i’m not especially bullish on any of the QBs this year outside of williams and maye, and honestly i don’t even like maye as much as everyone else seems to. would rather roll with whoever wins the levis/willis battle, and i suspect the staff will agree unless they’re in position to get one of the top two.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

We aren’t going to get Williams, and the only way we get Maye is if his stock drops.

I have Nix as QB3, so I think he would be our top realistic option.

Pennix I agree with KT on (I think), so I would rather stick with what we have than invest in him.

Jordan Travis from FSU might be a first rounder. I liked what I saw from him against LSU.

I have no faith in Nix. He seems like a Mayfield/Tannehill type. Good in the exact perfect situation.  Otherwise 3-4 years of frustration of showing good to great, then nohting. 

Travis I do like. Could be top 15 or so with a good finish to the season and great draft season. 

Williams is #1 but I remain to feel he won't be this generational guy.  Just can't believe you can build a whole career on making the plays he makes in college. Mahomes has a magic arm. I think Williams has good arm. They aren't the same to me. 

29 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I have no faith in Nix. He seems like a Mayfield/Tannehill type. Good in the exact perfect situation.  Otherwise 3-4 years of frustration of showing good to great, then nohting. 

Travis I do like. Could be top 15 or so with a good finish to the season and great draft season. 

Williams is #1 but I remain to feel he won't be this generational guy.  Just can't believe you can build a whole career on making the plays he makes in college. Mahomes has a magic arm. I think Williams has good arm. They aren't the same to me. 

Really?  I mean, he shat the bed against Georgia, but other than that, he played really well, even in the Washington game where they lost, it was absolutely not because of Bo Nix.  He even got them to like long field goal range with less than a minute on the clock.

Of course, there are very few games from the last two years where he hasn't been a great situation in game because he kicks *** all four quarters, but I'm sure not holding that against him.

But I mean, he's athletic, has a big arm, can effectively run pass heavy, run heavy, clock eating, and fast offenses.  What's not to like?

54 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i’m not especially bullish on any of the QBs this year outside of williams and maye, and honestly i don’t even like maye as much as everyone else seems to. would rather roll with whoever wins the levis/willis battle, and i suspect the staff will agree unless they’re in position to get one of the top two.

I do like Maye, but we have so much to do in rebuild and two young QBs, so there's no need to force the QB issue this year now unless one just falls in our lap.

Assuming we get a top 10ish pick, we could come away with a great CB, a lockdown LT, or a trade down to fix more things.  Don't know where we're going to invest our cap space, but I figure we're likely to need more WR help and DLs, at least.  If Henry isn't given an extension, then another middle round RB would be a good investment as well.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Really?  I mean, he shat the bed against Georgia, but other than that, he played really well, even in the Washington game where they lost, it was absolutely not because of Bo Nix.  He even got them to like long field goal range with less than a minute on the clock.

Of course, there are very few games from the last two years where he hasn't been a great situation in game because he kicks *** all four quarters, but I'm sure not holding that against him.

But I mean, he's athletic, has a big arm, can effectively run pass heavy, run heavy, clock eating, and fast offenses.  What's not to like?

I do like Maye, but we have so much to do in rebuild and two young QBs, so there's no need to force the QB issue this year now unless one just falls in our lap.

Assuming we get a top 10ish pick, we could come away with a great CB, a lockdown LT, or a trade down to fix more things.  Don't know where we're going to invest our cap space, but I figure we're likely to need more WR help and DLs, at least.  If Henry isn't given an extension, then another middle round RB would be a good investment as well.

His Auburn days are burned in my head. Just seemed like a good college QB.  Admittedly I don't watch him a ton. Just not impressed. Talented. But put any of the QB's in his spot at Oregon, would we see the same? 
Doesn't come off as a QB to build around.  If you get him. all good, build an offense to fit him. 

But would I trade up for him? Naw, not at this point. 

3 hours ago, KingTitan said:

The chances of drafting more than a Tannehill type are not that many nor big, especially for someone like us who's not in contention to draft top 5, or even top 10. I'd be okay with a return like that if it doesn't take trading up to do so.

Though, like I said, I'd rather have the man back himself, if they're not happy with what we have on roster. There are some interesting names in this upcoming class, sure, but I'd rather spend mid-level QB salary for one or two more years and keep adding talent elsewhere, especially on the OL.

14 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

Right now, I’d rather build the team around Willis/Levis, let them battle it out in 2024 and either one of them shows something to be the QB of the future or we’re in a position to draft/trade for a guy in 2025.

Unless one of the top, premier guys (Williams or Drake) falls to our 1st round pick.

Yea, I agree with this. I am still holding out hope for Levis. went back this week and watched his tape from college and the bears game. Sitting this year will be great for him. His arm talent looks there with the physical ability to run, just needs to shore up that decision making. Joe Rexrode was saying this week on The Athletic Football Podcast he didn't really fit in in college because he almost felt too mature for a college group a kids, maybe being around like minded pros will elevate his play. I keep hearing the dude has the brains, maybe that can help him overcome the silly turnovers in a pro environment.

Edited by twotonebluenation

47 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

Yea, I agree with this. I am still holding out hope for Levis. went back this week and watched his tape from college and the bears game. Sitting this year will be great for him. His arm talent looks there with the physical ability to run, just needs to shore up that decision making. Joe Rexrode was saying this week on The Athletic Football Podcast he didn't really fit in in college because he almost felt too mature for a college group a kids, maybe being around like minded pros will elevate his play. I keep hearing the dude has the brains, maybe that can help him overcome the silly turnovers in a pro environment.

Yeah, we traded up in the early 2nd round to draft him. You do that I think you have to give that guy a legit shot at the starting job, unless he’s an total disaster (which Levis has shown he’s not at this point). Let him sit/redshirt this season, and compete for the spot next year.

As for Willis, coming into the league he was viewed as a talented but extremely raw prospect who probably needed 2-3 years to really figure it out. Even though it was preseason, we saw a much improved Willis from his rookie season to his sophomore season. If he takes another step forward from year 2 to year 3(which is the timeframe most thought he’d “figure it out”), we really could have something. Plus, I mentioned it before but I feel he’s a better fit in Tim Kelly’s offensive system than in our previous Arthur Smith/whatever Todd Downing was running offense.

Like I said previously, if the top QBs aren’t there for our pick, just continue to build around the young QBs we’ve already invested in that’s already on our roster and let them battle it out in 2024.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, twotonebluenation said:

Note to Ran. Just draft guys that are good at football. This need list is piling up.

Yea I don’t even knw where to start anymore. Who are the top WRs, CBS, DL and OL lol

We need everything but RB and S. Even with that we need depth 

16 hours ago, 615finest said:

Yea I don’t even knw where to start anymore. Who are the top WRs, CBS, DL and OL lol

We need everything but RB and S. Even with that we need depth 

I could see safety being a need. Wouldn’t be surprised if this is Byard’s last season. Could see them trading him before the deadline.