2023 Eagles General Chat

Danger

Isn't this also a result of being forced to go younger? Think of the 5-6 Starters lost (Maddox missed whole year), some of the rotation depth lost Suh/LJ/DB/ and tell me when was the last time you could remember this many Rookies and 2nd year players Starting or getting meaningful snaps on Defense?

Reed, Sydney, Carter, Davis, Smith, Ricks, Ringo.

Last years Defense was full of Veteran players who stayed healthy all season long building chemistry  becuase they were playing in the same system 2 years in a row!

I'm not blaming just injury, just youth but you add those to the fact Desai basically pulled a Jim Schwartz "fit my system" I'm not adapting to what you players like to do best, what worked last year for you and this unfortunately is the results.

A horrifically bad Defense that was trying to band aide there way through a season. 

42 minutes ago, UndyTaker said:

It is odd. Especially with Sweat because I think he has played the most snaps out of anyone on the Dline. DB didnt play many snaps, but then they also didnt trust Nolan Smith to get on the field. Maybe they overestimated DB's ability after injury or maybe his effort wasnt there considering he didnt want to be here, but not giving DB or Nolan significant snaps at the beginning of the year really backfired and you can see Sweat is a shell of himself.

I think it’s pretty clear we need a rotation to keep these guys optimal. Maybe it was against Desai’s philosophy. But that would be dumb. And also not surprising. 

Smith needs to gain weight, or lose some, or something. He can’t be an edge unless it’s 3rd long and then who is he subbing for?  Anytime he’s on the field, I’m targeting him in coverage if he drops or run game if he’s an edge. His only logical position is spelling Reddick on pass plays. Having BG as our 3rd DE is fine if you have a decent 4th. But there’s no one. They just give Milt or Cox DE snaps, which to me is just not advisable unless it’s a clear run play. 

16 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

I think it’s pretty clear we need a rotation to keep these guys optimal. Maybe it was against Desai’s philosophy. But that would be dumb. And also not surprising. 

Smith needs to gain weight, or lose some, or something. He can’t be an edge unless it’s 3rd long and then who is he subbing for?  Anytime he’s on the field, I’m targeting him in coverage if he drops or run game if he’s an edge. His only logical position is spelling Reddick on pass plays. Having BG as our 3rd DE is fine if you have a decent 4th. But there’s no one. They just give Milt or Cox DE snaps, which to me is just not advisable unless it’s a clear run play. 

I will say I think Nolan has improved on his run defense as the season has gone on as I have seen him set the edge pretty well at times. The constant remains though as teams are either double teaming the edge they're running on or both DTs and theres nobody shedding their blocks or no LBer to make a play. Sweat and Reddick have been getting tossed around just as bad.

I would say theres more positive ive seen from Nolan than bad. The worst part about his season was not even getting on the field, but when he is out there I see him running around using his speed and getting around the ball more times than not. Nobody on this defense is making plays, especially this time of year, but thats not to say Carter and Davis didnt flash their potential the first half of the season. Thats one of the few positives going into next year is that we do have some young talent up front, but we have seen that mismanaging the entire defense has done a good job at leveling the talent we do have to equal the talent we dont have.

Edited by UndyTaker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jroc04 said:

What the hell happened to the rotations? I knew we needed an edge dearly before the season started. And then we released DB. 

I don't know but I refuse to believe Derek "It's always him" Barnett was the glue to our dline rotations. We must have the guys but just don't rotate well.

Probably too many players honestly…. But how does Jake Elliott not make it?

Like Jake didn’t even come in the top 10 for fan voting for kickers? I guess when your team is crumbling in the second half of the year it’s hard to garner the motivation to vote guys in.

On the other hand Niners fans voted all their players to the top of their respective positions…

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

6 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Probably too many players honestly…. But how does Jake Elliott not make it?

Like Jake didn’t even come in the top 10 for fan voting for kickers? I guess when your team is crumbling in the second half of the year it’s hard to garner the motivation to vote guys in.

On the other hand Niners fans voted all their players to the top of their respective positions even with Jake Brendel over Jason Kelce 🤦🏻‍♂️

Aubrey or whatever the Dallas kickers name has been lights out. Jake won’t be the NFC PB nod. 

4 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

Aubrey or whatever the Dallas kickers name has been lights out. Jake won’t be the NFC PB nod. 

Yeah I know he hasn’t missed a kick this year but Jake has made a lot of clutch kicks for us and he’s been one of the only things I can set my watch to with this team.

2 hours ago, Danger said:

One thing I've been wondering for a bit now, anyone else think maybe JD hurt himself on that one play he was chasing down Josh Allen? He's fallen off IMO since then.

I do remember him having a hamstring like midway through the year but I don’t really wanna make excuses.

6 hours ago, babyatemydingo said:
W+L+W+W+W+W+L+W+W+W+W(OT)+L+L+L+W+L
W+W+W+W+W+L+W+W+W+W+W(OT)+L+L+L+W+L

The first season is the 2012 Ravens' Super Bowl Championship.
The second season is the 2023 Eagles' season so far.

Yeah I saw that on Facebook as well. Picture of Kelce, Picture of Ray Ray. 

Our Defense isn't going to carry us. Unless you're saying Hurts goes full Joe Flacco?

Edited by Nabbs4u