2023 Eagles General Chat

Danger

20 minutes ago, DeJack_10 said:

Wink Martindale just resigned as DC. Those who want us to blitz more, he’s your guy.

Wonder what that's all about? Does that mean he can be hired as a HC immediately, since not under contract?

Isn't there a waiting period for HC vacancies to be filled? Another week or two?

Edited by Nabbs4u

1 hour ago, Danger said:

TRM, I wasn't watching our defense from a very analytical sense this year, how modern did our defense look in coverage scheme wise?

I don’t know if I’m the one to ask cause I just understand the basics of coverage schemes, but from what I’ve read and watched from @TheHonestNFL and other Eagles writers who watch the All 22 it really doesn’t seem like they’re running complex stuff. The execution in zone coverage and passing guys off has been bad all year. We are predictable with how we rotate the safeties. Then we blitz way too often this past month since Patricia has taken over or at least it feels that way. 

I was a little hopeful we would get a boost from Slay and Maddox coming back and that would solve some of the breakdowns in coverage, but both are probably gonna have some rust still. Avonte didn’t look as disastrous as last week against Arizona, but he’s going up against Godwin who put up a good final month of the season and Slay tends to struggle against bigger WRs.

I really wonder how badly we are missing Dennard Wilson who was our DBs coach  last year and is now killing it as the Ravens defensive backs coach. It also doesn’t help that health has been shaky and the vets have both taken steps back.

Obviously the sports science stuff is nice for keeping players fresher and trying to prevent injuries. It has its place and should be utilized and I understand why we had to do it to some extent these past years cause of how many key starters were older, but at the same time for a while it’s felt these short and light practices make things too easy on the players. This team just feels soft and it’s usually the vets who most often feel this way. The younger players usually are giving 120% even if they make mistakes. It just doesn’t feel like that’s the way to build a lasting program. With Georgia and Bama you would always hear how grueling the practices are. With some of the top coaches like Kyle and Andy you hear how tough their teams practices are. The NFL has already cut back on a lot of what teams can do now as far as overworking players and it feels like the Eagles these past years, so you can’t even do as much as we did back when Andy was still here, but it feels like we’ve gone to the other extreme of not working players hard enough. They say they get a lot done in their short practices, but it’s hard to imagine they get as much done as teams who practice harder and longer than they do.

18 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Obviously the sports science stuff is nice for keeping players fresher and trying to prevent injuries. It has its place and should be utilized and I understand why we had to do it to some extent these past years cause of how many key starters were older, but at the same time for a while it’s felt these short and light practices make things too easy on the players. This team just feels soft and it’s usually the vets who most often feel this way. The younger players usually are giving 120% even if they make mistakes. It just doesn’t feel like that’s the way to build a lasting program. With Georgia and Bama you would always hear how grueling the practices are. With some of the top coaches like Kyle and Andy you hear how tough their teams practices are. The NFL has already cut back on a lot of what teams can do now as far as overworking players and it feels like the Eagles these past years, so you can’t even do as much as we did back when Andy was still here, but it feels like we’ve gone to the other extreme of not working players hard enough. They say they get a lot done in their short practices, but it’s hard to imagine they get as much done as teams who practice harder and longer than they do.

I've said that in the past and that includes the preseason and why this team has not been good at tackling for as long as I can remember, as a side effect of that.

But also, last year you would see way more rest for veterans in the injury report, and also compare that to how SF is always injured every year. Like we were before the Sirianni era. 

• Like 1

Someone asked earlier among the GDT mess.

Besides the answer Jalen has regressed!

Does anyone know why Jalen Hurts last year was the best QB vs the Blitz in the NFL and this season the Worst?

I understand Stiechen -Johnson as play callers. Did Shane have hot reads, automatic plays in place when blitzed Hurts had to throw to? Does Brian not have any? Jalen, you figure it out on the fly?

Why is the protection so piss poor compared to last year? It can't just be the revolving door at RG? Why has neither or both been addressed all season long?

We face the Bucs Monday. Who have the 3rd highest Blitz rate in the NFL. Should be fun!

Edited by Nabbs4u

Just now, Nabbs4u said:

Does anyone know why Jalen Hurts last year was the best QB vs the Blitz in the NFL and this season the Worst?

I understand Stiechen -Johnson as play callers. Did Shane have hot reads, automatic plays in place when blitzed Hurts had to throw to? Does Brian not have any?

Why is the protection so piss poor compared to kast year? It can't just be the revolving door at RG? Why has neither or both been addressed all season long?

We face the Bucs Monday. Who have the 3rd highest Blitz rate in the NFL. Should be fun!

There are no hot reads. There's just no acknowledgement of obvious blitz looks period. Teams will show cover 0 and the team literally has no answers for it. It's ridiculous. I know people want to assign blame. To me, I think it's obvious that they are not putting players in a position to succeed. What is Jalen supposed to when he has the blitz bearing down on him and all of his eligible receivers are running 15+ yards down the field on go routes and not looking for the football? Why don't we run stop routes? Or Slants? Or have any adjustments to get the ball out faster in blitz situations? Just absolute malpractice from the coaching staff. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I understand Stiechen -Johnson as play callers. Did Shane have hot reads, automatic plays in place when blitzed Hurts had to throw to? Does Brian not have any? Jalen, you figure it out on the fly?

Why is the protection so piss poor compared to last year? It can't just be the revolving door at RG? Why has neither or both been addressed all season long?

Edited by TheRealMcCoy