2023 Eagles General Chat

Danger

10 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Wink martindale resigned today. Just hire him as a consultant and ask him what he saw to blitz Jalen every play to success. Easy. 

That only works if the OC/Coach from the opposite team doesn't understand that hot routes are a thing.

3 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Someone asked earlier among the GDT mess.

Besides the answer Jalen has regressed!

Does anyone know why Jalen Hurts last year was the best QB vs the Blitz in the NFL and this season the Worst?

I understand Stiechen -Johnson as play callers. Did Shane have hot reads, automatic plays in place when blitzed Hurts had to throw to? Does Brian not have any? Jalen, you figure it out on the fly?

Why is the protection so piss poor compared to last year? It can't just be the revolving door at RG? Why has neither or both been addressed all season long?

We face the Bucs Monday. Who have the 3rd highest Blitz rate in the NFL. Should be fun!

He was not the best last year against the blitz at all. The lack of hot reads and the blitz has been a problem throughout the Sirianni era, look at 2022’s Cardinals game for evidence. It is a fundamental flaw of Sirianni’s “scheme” and an obsession with big plays which I’m starting to think may come from higher up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Broadway Joe said:

He was not the best last year against the blitz at all. The lack of hot reads and the blitz has been a problem throughout the Sirianni era, look at 2022’s Cardinals game for evidence. It is a fundamental flaw of Sirianni’s “scheme” and an obsession with big plays which I’m starting to think may come from higher up. 

Maybe not best but we had answers, he had way more success then this years failures. 

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/lists/eagles-giants-post-game-stats-reaction-jalen-hurts-brandon-graham/

Is it a Zone vs Man coverage thing for Sirianni offense? Opposite end of the spectrum. 

https://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=631352

Edited by Nabbs4u

10 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Maybe not best but we had answers, he had way more success then this years failures. 

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/lists/eagles-giants-post-game-stats-reaction-jalen-hurts-brandon-graham/

Is it a Zone vs Man coverage thing for Sirianni offense? Opposite end of the spectrum. 

https://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=631352

It was more of the same, but teams didn't know how to defend our now super predictable shots one-on-one on the outside. The philosophy of this team has always been to take a shot against the blitz instead of looking to get rid of the ball quickly. How many times did we complain last year that there was never a check down option? Now with Jalen's reduced mobility it is even harder to make a defender miss. 

I remember that during our putrid offensive years in 2019 and 2020 it was talked about how Lurie and Roseman wanted a vertical offense like (then) Kansas City. I'm starting to think that it is part what they wanted the offensive identity of this team to be when Sirianni first arrived, and why is it so engrained in the coaching of our team. Remember that this team tends to look for "yes man" after de Kelly schism, so it is not out of the question. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Broadway Joe said:

It was more of the same, but teams didn't know how to defend our now super predictable shots one-on-one on the outside. The philosophy of this team has always been to take a shot against the blitz instead of looking to get rid of the ball quickly. How many times did we complain last year that there was never a check down option? Now with Jalen's reduced mobility it is even harder to make a defender miss. 

I remember that during our putrid offensive years in 2019 and 2020 it was talked about how Lurie and Roseman wanted a vertical offense like (then) Kansas City. I'm starting to think that it is part what they wanted the offensive identity of this team to be when Sirianni first arrived, and why is it so engrained in the coaching of our team. Remember that this team tends to look for "yes man" after de Kelly schism, so it is not out of the question. 

The problem is the entire league has shifted defensive philosophy to limit vertical offenses. Yet Lowie refuses to acknowledge this shift, and continues trying to fit square pegs in round holes. It's infuriating as a fan to watch. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TorontoEagle said:

The problem is the entire league has shifted defensive philosophy to limit vertical offenses. Yet Lowie refuses to acknowledge this shift, and continues trying to fit square pegs in round holes. It's infuriating as a fan to watch. 

Howie deserves no small part of the blame for this season's debacle, apparently he made every wrong move in free agency. But unless he is actively asking coaches to coach the offense a certain way or meddling with the game-plan (wouldn't put it past him, given what has been reported about him in the past), I would not blame him for how the defense has been handling bunches, gap control, tackling. 

But if you mean his complete disservice to the back 7 over the last decade and how it has been magnified in recent years by the shifts in defensive philosophy, then yeah that is also a big problem but not sure if it is THE problem. And take this from someone that has been pretty much a solo campaign here for LBs and Safeties for years. 

A change in drafting philosophy has been needed for years, but I don't think our talent evaluation on that side is good at all. 

23 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

Make them understand. 

I think you misunderstood my reply. I was saying the Eagles have no answer for the blitz but that's not the case for the teams the Eagles would be playing. I don't know that Wink would have as much success against teams who any answers at all for the blitz. We wouldn't want to make the opposing team understand, we'd want them to play how terrible Eagles do now.

1 hour ago, Folesadelphia said:

I think you misunderstood my reply. I was saying the Eagles have no answer for the blitz but that's not the case for the teams the Eagles would be playing. I don't know that Wink would have as much success against teams who any answers at all for the blitz. We wouldn't want to make the opposing team understand, we'd want them to play how terrible Eagles do now.

I couldn’t really follow what you were saying. I was just joking anyway. But would be nice to pick the brain of a DC that clearly had the strategy to blitz the hell out of us (to success) and see what he says what we could have done to counter it. I mean it should be fairly obvious to Nick and co. but we continually have struggled all year. 

26 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

I couldn’t really follow what you were saying. I was just joking anyway. But would be nice to pick the brain of a DC that clearly had the strategy to blitz the hell out of us (to success) and see what he says what we could have done to counter it. I mean it should be fairly obvious to Nick and co. but we continually have struggled all year.

Yeah, I don't  necessarily disagree with what you have said. I was just trying to point out that Wink's heavy blitz scheme is going to look particularly effective against the Eagles because the Eagles have no answer for the blitz. I was just suggesting that Wink's style/scheme might not look as good against teams who actually employ hot routes and/or have effective plays to counter the blitz. 

23 minutes ago, Folesadelphia said:

Yeah, I don't  necessarily disagree with what you have said. I was just trying to point out that Wink's heavy blitz scheme is going to look particularly effective against the Eagles because the Eagles have no answer for the blitz. I was just suggesting that Wink's style/scheme might not look as good against teams who actually employ hot routes and/or have effective plays to counter the blitz. 

I’m not suggesting we use Wink scheme for our defense. I’m suggesting we can use his brain to counter it if say TB starts blitzing our **** off. Either way, they aren’t doing that. Fatty Patty should be smart enough to help us with that if for some reason why professional offensive NFL coaches can’t solve it. 

• Like 1

I know a lot of people probably share this same sentiment. But I honestly can't remember having ever done this much draft and free agency work heading into the post season. And honestly I haven't even done that much. Just a totally different mindset for this post season compared to even the last couple years. 2021 is probably comparable. Which says a lot. Like it feels like the season is over and I hate that. It's so weird man.

Edited by EagleBlueDon