The Bears are who we thought they were, so we put them on a hook! Week 1 post game (1-0)

ThatJerkDave

9 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

If Wooden hits, lawd this front 7 gonna be nasty. Clark, Wyatt, Gary, LVN, Kingsley, Preston and Wooden all getting after the QB. Exciting times ahead for this defense.

Agree....it will be nice if Wooden hits....but this play especially isnt great OL blocking IMO.

3 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

This was the thing with Dillon vs CHI, most of his runs never had a chance.  That being said, there were a couple where something was there and he just didn't make anything happen.

That has me wondering, how often does a RB just simply fail to get all the yards they could?  In normal cases, it probably balances out.  Dillon had 13 carries.  Say 5 of them were where he had no chance, and 5 of them were where he didn't make something happen.  Is that normal through the course of a game? Like if he got the 5 carries that Taylor got, would his average been closer to 3 than the 1.5 that he had?

I don't think Dillon is bad.  I do think he is not the fit that we envisioned when he was drafted.  

Just now, ThatJerkDave said:

That has me wondering, how often does a RB just simply fail to get all the yards they could?  In normal cases, it probably balances out.  Dillon had 13 carries.  Say 5 of them were where he had no chance, and 5 of them were where he didn't make something happen.  Is that normal through the course of a game? Like if he got the 5 carries that Taylor got, would his average been closer to 3 than the 1.5 that he had?

I don't think Dillon is bad.  I do think he is not the fit that we envisioned when he was drafted.  

Aaron Jones seems to always get more yards than expected when you watch the play. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Refugee said:

I watched a DB (Sul?) completely move him out of the picture to make a tackle where he was supposed to be the blocker. That big of a frame shouldn’t be able to be tossed aside like that if he’s locked in. 

This is the basic issue with Claypool.  In his mind he's an outside receiver, but you look at his frame and every NFL coach is going to say "that guy can block from the slot for us" (i.e. the Lazard stuff).  It's just that he absolutely doesn't want to do it because he sees himself as an outside receiver.

Like there's a reason Pittsburgh was shopping him during a season where the Steelers missed the playoffs due to a tiebreaker.

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

This is the basic issue with Claypool.  In his mind he's an outside receiver, but you look at his frame and every NFL coach is going to say "that guy can block from the slot for us" (i.e. the Lazard stuff).  It's just that he absolutely doesn't want to do it because he sees himself as an outside receiver.

Like there's a reason Pittsburgh was shopping him during a season where the Steelers missed the playoffs due to a tiebreaker.

I think it's worse than that. He looks like he doesn't even want to play. In his defense, he was a pretty good boundary receiver his rookie year in Pitt. 

• Like 1

Thoughts from the game yesterday

1. Gute's last 2 draft classes are shades of 2011 and 2012 Seahawks drafts that propelled them to one of the best teams of the 2010s

Quay, Wyatt, Kingsley, Tom, Doubs, Watson, LVN, Musgrave, Reed and Wooden all look like players with most having pro bowl potential. 

2. Watson-Doubs-Reed trio is gonna be scary if they stay healthy. All 3 compliment each other perfectly. 

3. Aaron Jones is proving again he's one of the best playmakers in the league. I was opposed to keeping him next year at his cap number but we need him on this team. The offense with and without him is night and day difference. RB is gonna be a sneaky high need next draft and wouldn't surprise me if the Packers take one early

4. AJ Dillon is awful when it's not cold out. Wilson needs to get more burn and save Dillon for when it's cold and he can punish defenders. 

5. OL looked great minus Meyers. He got blown up on a few plays. Not gonna cut it vs great defensive fronts. Center is a high need next year

6. Our FO has finally put emphasis on having a dominant DL and it's paying dividends. Wyatt was the star of the show yesterday and for good reason but I wanna shine some light on Slaton. Big man has made an incredible leap in his 3rd year. He's gonna be key for stopping

7. We are finally playing Savage to his strengths. When he can play down hill he's great 

Onto Atlanta 

Edited by Mdpackfan22

Observations....

Game balls.  Love.  Jones.  Wyatt.

Offense:  Love looked like young Rodgers back there.  Making multiple reads, trying to move guys with eyes and throwing some gorgeous passes.  It was an efficient game, and he really didn't force anything and I don't think he was really fooled much.

Jones was just a huge difference maker.  Every time he touched the ball it looked like he could score.  For some unknown reason, we decided to give him the second quarter off.  Dumb coaching move.

Dillon.  Yuck.  They really load the box when he's in there, but still the guy doesn't show much.

I got a few 'Vante vibes watched Doubs.  He isn't there yet, but there are flashes.  

Musgrave looking great for a rookie TE.

Bakh was the best lineman that played yesterday.  Really, really solid.  

Jenkins was moving a lot of guys, too.

And?  I saw JRJ playing well, too.

Myers?  Watched him a few times, came away feeling like he's awful in space.  Good when he's head up on a guy, okay when reaching to a guy, awful when he has to move a yard or two and find someone to hit.

Reed.  Promising start for the rookie.  Probably won't see him for 4-5 weeks now since we foolishly threw him a pass when we didn't need to.

Wicks.  Dude was in way over his head during the game.

Defense.

My player of the game, apologies to Love, was Wyatt. Dude was just wrecking things inside with quickness and leverage.

I loved seeing the almost hockey like line changes.  DL and EDGE. 

LVN got some nice snaps and showed off his power.  Also his agility when he sacked Fields.  To me, it was a jaw dropping moment, just like when Wyatt did something similar.

Savage.  Dude is not a safety that covers space.  He needs to be near the LOS and then he's a weapon.  Slot corner, strong safety, hybrid LB....etc.  He played a really good game.

Brooks.  Got a sacks.  3 sacks from first or second year players on a very slippery QB.  Outstanding.

Specials.

I watched enough football yesterday.  We were the only team I saw who pooch kicked some kickoffs.  We won 2 of those, lost one.  But once we got a stop inside the 15.  Loved it.

Carlson drilled that long field goal, even though the snap was high.

Punter looked fine.

Overall.

I thought our HC went brain dead on offense in the second quarter.  We got too cute at times. 

Love looked confident, poised and was never rattled.  He played his best in the biggest moments.

Defense was swarming.

Specials looked very good.

I come back to this.  We look bigger, strong and faster than the past.   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

And?  I saw JRJ playing well, too.

Myers?  Watched him a few times, came away feeling like he's awful in space.  Good when he's head up on a guy, okay when reaching to a guy, awful when he has to move a yard or two and find someone to hit.

Reed.  Promising start for the rookie.  Probably won't see him for 4-5 weeks now since we foolishly threw him a pass when we didn't need to.

JRJ and Myers were the only players on the team other than Rasul that played 100% of snaps

Reed recovered the onside kick at the end of the game.    Reports are he just had cramps so should be good to go 

6 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

JRJ and Myers were the only players on the team other than Rasul that played 100% of snaps

Reed recovered the onside kick at the end of the game.    Reports are he just had cramps so should be good to go 

I'm gaining a whole lot of respect for JRJ recently.  Yesterday was more of the same.  He played well.  He's just dirty inside.  He's a fighter.

And while I'm gaining it for JRJ, I'm losing more and more on Myers.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

How? Did he let up a sack? He'd be the same if he practiced prove me wrong. Foh.

That's the point. This stuff is unprovable, but Bahk even at 90% is better than most left tackles, but it's a trade-off. Sacrifice some sharpness for extending game availability. The concern is how long that knee is going to hold up. 17 games? Maybe. Let's enjoy the ride while it lasts, and hope Walker is ready to step up if and when he's needed. 

And the bigger point is Love looked terrific, and so did the defense. On to Atlanta!