The Bears are who we thought they were, so we put them on a hook! Week 1 post game (1-0)

ThatJerkDave

4 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I think that was the most consistent performance a Joe Barry defense has had since he came here.  Pleasantly surprised by how solid it was start to finish.

OL also looks infinitely better.

Love missed a couple throws, but plus day for sure.

Ive never seen a guy as big AJ Dillon run so soft.  

We really need to put Dillon in more favorable positions.  He doesn't change directions quickly, or with good balance.  Running him out of shotgun, or on stretch plays does him no favors.  Get him running straight ahead, and we have all seen him run through guys.  But when we ask him to get to the edge and turn the corner, NFL LBs and Ss are going to get him.

1 minute ago, Zycho32 said:

Honestly, I expect Walker to be the defacto backup at LT and Nijman to be the defacto RT if there is an actual injury in the lineup. I don't expect either to be switched to the opposite side for anything less than one of them being injured themselves. Thus the question won't be answered until the next off-season.

I am honestly more interested in which side they would play the duo of Walker and Tom if we no longer have Bakhtiari or Nijman next season.  Walker has gotten a lot of LT work this season.  

6 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I am honestly more interested in which side they would play the duo of Walker and Tom if we no longer have Bakhtiari or Nijman next season.  Walker has gotten a lot of LT work this season.  

I would say it's unlikely that they would switch the tandem up after all the time spent in practice and preseason working Walker at LT, but this coaching staff has done some quiet headscratchers with the OL before. That said, I think the only way Walker doesn't end up with the LT role is if that Jets pick really pays off and we get an OT of a Top 15 caliber at the minimum. I think Tom remains at RT except for a scenario where he shifts to Center, so I don't forsee the team drafting an OT anywhere in days 1 and 2 if said player can't hack it on the blindside.

1 hour ago, minnypackerfan said:

It was not his best game today...but it was just one game.  Maybe next week he is our star player. 

It puzzles me, but Dillon often, as he did in todays game, follows up ineffectual runs with beastly ones and then reverts back again. Is it that he needs a clean hole and a head of steam?

I do love pairing Jones with a hard nosed thumper. Dillon seems to be that guy, but only in sporadic moments. I hope we can do him the favor of calling better plays for him until we replace him next year. 

Upon re-watching the game, the catch Touré had in the 2nd quarter was exactly what I mean when I ask for receivers to get schemed open. With the route to his left carrying the cornerback deep, he came open by forcing his defender back with outside leverage and then cut inside and under at speed.

It was beautiful. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mox said:

Doubs looked way more confident out there. If he has that he's going to be a gamer. Reed is also legit.

I'm not the first to have said it, but Doubs might be the no.1 receiver going forward with Watson as the bona fide deep threat mismatch - and Reed the reliable slot receiver chain mover and for occasional end around trickery.

I don't know what Musgrave is yet, but I'm hopeful he's a regular red zone target, bailout option and occasional big-play artiste.