The Bears are who we thought they were, so we put them on a hook! Week 1 post game (1-0)

ThatJerkDave

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

I love the amount of copium coming from Love doubters. He apparently had an "alright" game and was missing wide open guys a lot which isn't even remotely true. People are going to be beyond pissed that we did it again lol.

I don't know if I was a doubter but I really didn't know what we had in Love and I'm still not sure but so far so good.  I am really looking forward to seeing him perform next week in Atlanta.  In many threads this summer I kept saying if Love shows he belongs and improves every week I didn't care what our record is and I still stand by that.  🙂

• Like 1

what I learned: The bears are pretty dang bad, top to bottom.  Fields is among the worst

What I hope I learned: the Packers have a good OL, maybe a great one.  Packers have good pass rush, and one that should be better against more willing passers

What I'm less certain of than some: love is a HOF QB, Reed is gonna be good, AJ Dillon is among the worst RBs in the league.

Still, it's week 1.  If this is a starting point and building point it's very promising.  But we can expect some unevenness with such a young team.

17 minutes ago, KFP7 said:

Gary had 5 pressures today. 

Oh, he also only saw the field for 10 passing snaps.

50% pressure rate....

Dude is a freak. He was practicing less than 9 months removed from a torn ACL and looked every bit as explosive and powerful in his limited reps in Week 1. Getting him back in full swing with the rest of the guys they got up front is gonna be real fun as the season rolls on.

5 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

AJ Dillon is among the worst RBs in the league.

There is a few trying to breathe life into this narrative. Just got to have someone to hate on even on a day that contained a victory over the Bears.  

Great start. The Bears continue to be our *****. Love looked really solid and got better as the game went on. Let's hope Watson leveled up like Doubs did from last season and we're winning the North. O-line, defense and special teams all played really well with Aaron Jones breaking the game open before the hammy. Roasted dirty bird on the menu next week.

Edited by PackFan13

On a quieter note, the question of who OT3 is remains murky. Walker and Nijman saw garbage time on the OL deep in the 4th, Walker playing LT and Nijman playing RT. As both were subbed in together, there was no true answer to whether Nijman got surpassed in the pecking order.

Offensively, GB may be better off with a more predictable offense when transitioning from Jones to Dillon. Dillon's much more mortal capacity to get to the outside was dearly exploited by Chicago, and a couple of times Dillon got caught in the hole by a charging defender implying AJ needs to get into a lower base. Chicago also persistently challenged the Packers' receivers on the line with a two-deep cushion and showcased that without Watson, the passing game doesn't have any true capacity to rip apart such an umbrella and will have to resort to route gimmickry to win open looks- but that's stuff we knew for the last few years. None of the lower end receivers really got to strut their stuff; Toure had a catch but I think that was it, Wicks and Heath had reps but no results, and Kraft was mostly just a blocker. Sims was about as visible as Davis usually was.

Defensively, pressure was great, but Fields was highly elusive and the run game was still difficult to contain by itself. Also depressing elements like the 5-10 yard CB cushion were still in place, though not able to be exploited today. The lone black mark in passing defense came from a pair of CB(Nixon and Douglas) who tried to fight through a cross rather than transfer and switch. Safeties weren't directly named as a result of deep passing plays, so that's a plus. Team will lack a Deep Safety for the rest of the season(Ford and Savage are Box Safeties at heart) and will have an ongoing agony about who gets PT at the slot corner. Our IDL from a rushing perspective is greatly improved from last year.

ST looked alright. Carlson made his kicks, Whelan boomed some nice punts, the battery didn't seem to make any mistakes. Nixon was Nixon, and he'll never do a fair catch to save his *ss. Reed looked promising returning Punts. Not as reckless as Nixon, but capable.

As for Love, others provided more succinct commentary on his performance, and I'd just be regurgitating it all. I'll just say; after three years, his head was exactly where we wanted it to be.

• Like 3

I think that was the most consistent performance a Joe Barry defense has had since he came here.  Pleasantly surprised by how solid it was start to finish.

OL also looks infinitely better.

Love missed a couple throws, but plus day for sure.

Ive never seen a guy as big AJ Dillon run so soft.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

On a quieter note, the question of who OT3 is remains murky. Walker and Nijman saw garbage time on the OL deep in the 4th, Walker playing LT and Nijman playing RT. As both were subbed in together, there was no true answer to whether Nijman got surpassed in the pecking order.

I just take that as a good sign.  We have 4 OTs that the staff is comfortable playing in games, if it comes to that.  If Nijman is lower in the pecking order, well, he probably isn't going to be a Packer next season anyway.  

We left points on the board too.

I didn't know what to expect. We looked great.

Passes over the Middle. We look young  we look explosive on both sides of the ball.

LVN running STRIDE FOR STRIDE with Fields was amazing.

Wyatt sniffing out the bootleg. He showed up alot.

Gary is a dog 

Enagbere played well.

Quay with the pick 6. Hope he is doing well.

Savage looked like a new man.

I'm picking up Musgrave as my TE for fantasy next week. He was wide open multiple times that Love missed him on.

We didn't even have Watson!

My only hesitation is that it's the Bears...They truly suck.

And AJ Dillon kinda sucks.

5 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I just take that as a good sign.  We have 4 OTs that the staff is comfortable playing in games, if it comes to that.  If Nijman is lower in the pecking order, well, he probably isn't going to be a Packer next season anyway.  

Honestly, I expect Walker to be the defacto backup at LT and Nijman to be the defacto RT if there is an actual injury in the lineup. I don't expect either to be switched to the opposite side for anything less than one of them being injured themselves. Thus the question won't be answered until the next off-season.

• Like 1