Week 2 GDT: Bears at Buccaneers

Ty21

8 hours ago, JibjeResearch said:

I just want to see Fields throw to the right WR before he gets open...  like throw when it's not open, but when the ball arrived, the WR is open.  Great QB knows how to do this...  Kurt Warner mentioned it a lot of times when he analyzed QBs.

The problem is, Fields has pretty much been working with Equanimeous st brown until now. The guy who can’t even catch non-anticipatory balls, and whose route probably isn’t going to wind him up anywhere a quarterback could reasonably predict. 

Edited by Ty21
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, JibjeResearch said:

I just want to see Fields throw to the right WR before he gets open...  like throw when it's not open, but when the ball arrived, the WR is open.  Great QB knows how to do this...  Kurt Warner mentioned it a lot of times when he analyzed QBs.

Were comparing Fields to possibly the Greatest timing QB ever? Who was doing it with *checks notes* Marshall Faulk, Issac Bruce and Torry Holt??? Thats 2.5 Hall of Famers, being thrown to by a Hall of Famer, who was being protected by yet another Hall of Famer (Orlando Pace)

You guys are absurd with some of the bars you keep setting for a 24 year old who has yet to play even 50 high level football games

10 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Were comparing Fields to possibly the Greatest timing QB ever? Who was doing it with *checks notes* Marshall Faulk, Issac Bruce and Torry Holt??? Thats 2.5 Hall of Famers, being thrown to by a Hall of Famer, who was being protected by yet another Hall of Famer (Orlando Pace)

You guys are absurd with some of the bars you keep setting for a 24 year old who has yet to play even 50 high level football games

I don't think he was comparing him to Warner. I read it as Warner's thoughts on what great QBs need to possess to be successful.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

I don't think he was comparing him to Warner. I read it as Warner's thoughts on what great QBs need to possess to be successful.

But using Warner's evaluations of QBs is directly or indirectly comparing him o Warner, because he is going to use himself as what he knows/the standard

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

But using Warner's evaluations of QBs is directly or indirectly comparing him o Warner, because he is going to use himself as what he knows/the standard

Maybe. But what @JibjeResearch was referring to was anticipatory throws and throwing receivers open. Fields absolutely needs to be able to do this. There isn't a reasonable argument or world where that is not the case regardless of who was quoted saying this. Fields is not going to find "college open" receivers in the NFL for the most part. Those days are over. He has to be able to demonstrate that he can do that and he hasn't on a consistent basis been able to do so.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I'm just saying Fields needs to do that kind of throw if he wants to improve and become a great QB.  I'm talking about a skill that Fields must do if the Bears are to win lots of games.

The last preseason game, Bagent threw an interception.  I think it was a timing route.  The WR got picked by a CB; thus, he didn't get to the right spot, and Bagent threw it and was intercepted.  Bagent did throw a timing route the previous game.  The ball arrived and the WR was barely open and made the catch.   I'm talking about the skill like that.

17 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

Maybe. But what @JibjeResearch was referring to was anticipatory throws and throwing receivers open. Fields absolutely needs to be able to do this. There isn't a reasonable argument or world where that is not the case regardless of who was quoted saying this. Fields is not going to find "college open" receivers in the NFL for the most part. Those days are over. He has to be able to demonstrate that he can do that and he hasn't on a consistent basis been able to do so.

Yes.. the anticipatory throws....

59 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I definitely see what you're saying but I think Warner - knowing he is an intelligent and humble guy - knows just what you said. Warner is a HOF QB and Fields has been screwed by CHI and has limited experience in a pro offense. He can make these observations without saying anything Fields should be doing it at the level he did, I mean Warner had to go through going undrafted, went to the AFL, then NFL Europe, and then exploded with the Rams. He knows as well as anyone how QB development is done rather than being a finished product immediately.

Anticipation, timing, ball location, reading defenses are things Fields likely never can match Warner in his prime, but they are traits and skills that all QBs need to develop to be really good. 

43 minutes ago, JibjeResearch said:

I'm just saying Fields needs to do that kind of throw if he wants to improve and become a great QB.  I'm talking about a skill that Fields must do if the Bears are to win lots of games.

You can absolutely win a bunch of games without being a master of a timing offense. Weve seen it. Are you going to be a Super Bowl Favorite, nope. But you can absolutely still be a good QB and a team that wins alot.

I very much understand that Chicago has been hell on earth for QB situations. And while many of you say that you'd take just a competent QB, your asks when digging into Fields are much more reflective of a Hall of Famer.

2 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Anticipation, timing, ball location, reading defenses are things Fields likely never can match Warner in his prime, but they are traits and skills that all QBs need to develop to be really good. 

Its One Way for a QB to develop.

The most conventional way, sure, but absolutely not the only one. Especially in a world that is starting to value the running QB more and more.

Yes that also requires a OC not stuck in the 90s, but this is the hand he is currently delt. 

3 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Its One Way for a QB to develop.

The most conventional way, sure, but absolutely not the only one. Especially in a world that is starting to value the running QB more and more.

Yes that also requires a OC not stuck in the 90s, but this is the hand he is currently delt. 

Right. I wasn't stating that Warner's path was the common or conventional path, just that development itself is needed and that he understands that. 

Fields has all the physical tools you could want, but the Bears haven't (at least it seems) developed him in the 2+ years he has been here. It was the same with Tru. Frankly its embarrassing. Warner I'm sure can see a lot of the failings of this organization. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

You can absolutely win a bunch of games without being a master of a timing offense. Weve seen it. Are you going to be a Super Bowl Favorite, nope. But you can absolutely still be a good QB and a team that wins alot.

I very much understand that Chicago has been hell on earth for QB situations. And while many of you say that you'd take just a competent QB, your asks when digging into Fields are much more reflective of a Hall of Famer.

Bro..... Fields is talented.  He did some of the timing, anticipatory throws nicely last season.  He just needs to be consistent with it...as a pocket passer.  This is what all Bears fans wanted from him because everybody will be happy.... :)