Week 2 GDT: Bears at Buccaneers

Ty21

3 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

***Tinfoil hat alert***

What if Poles never really thought that Fields was the guy at all? What if the plan was to maneuver into a position to be able to draft a QB in next year's draft which by all accounts looks to be superior to what was available this year? I know it's a crazy thought but is it any less crazy than the way they are handling him and their playcalling?

I am on record of saying I won't be surprised if Poles ends up sacrificing Eberflus like Pace did to John Fox. I won't place money on it, but I can completely see it happening. And that was before Warren was hired, and he proved to be pretty cutthroat with how he set up the poaching of USC and UCLA. He may cut Poles too. 

Bears might suck as a franchise but at at least interesting in the offseason lately. lol 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigbear72 said:

***Tinfoil hat alert***

What if Poles never really thought that Fields was the guy at all? What if the plan was to maneuver into a position to be able to draft a QB in next year's draft which by all accounts looks to be superior to what was available this year? I know it's a crazy thought but is it any less crazy than the way they are handling him and their playcalling?

It's not a crazy thought whatsoever

1 hour ago, Bigbear72 said:

***Tinfoil hat alert***

It’s a nice scapegoat position to say it was the fault of the qb you inherited and didn’t choose. But it’s also transparent his failures are largely you not making any attempt to use him right. 

2 hours ago, Bigbear72 said:

***Tinfoil hat alert***

If that is what he is doing then the staff has to be let go also.

Well, I watched the pressers and took time to study all-22 cutups of Justin Fields, the offensive line and others.

My takeaway is that we were not as bad as it felt, but there still are some glaring concerns. The incessant screens annoyed the hell out of me, but to be fair to Getsy if the blocking was executed correctly their would have been some chunk plays. What bugs me is after the first couple failures, he should have gotten away from it and put it in his back pocket.

Defensively, to me, this felt a lot like a unit full of new players with little-to-no experience together. I can excuse that but I cannot excuse what a piss-poor passrush we have. Our starting 3 technique generated no stats; none. Not even an assisted tackle!

Also, Gordon to IR so that sucks. This will be felt by the defense, IMO.

My fandom won't allow for me to think we lose this game because I'm of the opinion KC will whoop us next week. I feel we are better than an 0-3 team, so that is playing a factor in my decision making.

I'm curious to see how the offense adjusts and how the defense responds. Do they come out looking like a 'cleaner' unit? Will they still play with energy? How will Getsy scheme up Todd Bowles' aggressive defense?

Historically in Indy, Eberflus' defenses have started poorly week 1 and rebounded strongly week 2:

34 points, then 9
30 points, then 17
27 points, then 11
28 points, then 27 (end the season ranked 9th in points allowed)

Maybe that trend will continue here, I don't know. As for the offense, Justin Fields needs to trust what he sees and get the ball out. They will blitz the hell out of him and mix zone coverages in back. He needs to study that defense, know where the holes will be, and exploit it.

It'll be ugly but I think we win:

Bears - 20
Bucs - 17

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, G08 said:

How will Getsy scheme up Todd Bowles' aggressive defense?

If I was Getsy, the heat I’ll be getting in the middle from Vea due to a weak IOL would suggest running plenty of screens. No slants, because they work suspiciously well for other teams. And knowing Bowles’ defense is aggressive, I would make sure my screen passes are all as backwards as possible, so my receivers and runningbacks can get to it before an encroaching db. Also, if the middle is plugged up, I’ll keep running it up the middle even if it keeps failing because adapting a plan is stupid and with how big Vea is, I know eventually he’ll get tired from it. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bigbear72 said:

***Tinfoil hat alert***

I don't think this is a bad theory but it's incomplete. Poles never thought Fields was the guy should be edited to - Poles does not like the 2023 QB class and is also unsure if Fields will be the guy for the Bears. If I (Poles) trade the first pick for a future pick in 2024, I have two routes to victory:

1) Fields is the guy and we take that top pick from Carolina and auction it to a QB hunger team and earn additional high value picks 

2) Fields isn't the guy we suspected and we leverage the high pick from Carolina to get a QB. 

This is a reasonable way to think about QB hedging. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, anonymousGM said:

So I'm thinking about going to the game in Tampa, but wearing a plain white t-shirt. I'm still hesitant about going and I don't think a Cutler or a Trubisky jersey would be appropriate.

Tampa will be very warm get a plain orange T cuts sleeves off and draw a blue 23 & Johnson on it. I did a pink tshirt (october game) one year in charlotte w Alshon 17 

7 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Don’t mistake me not being in the fetal position and sucking my thumb as a Poles defense. Poles, Eberflus, and Williams are all on the hot seat and Getsy is actually useless. This isn’t the first time his gameplan was pathetic. In fact, he hasn’t had an impressive gameplan yet. 

I still consider it only one off-season though. Year one inheriting no cap and limited draft picks doesn’t make for much of an offseason. 

Ya I think Poles is fine  ! he has done his job. There is talent here. Sunday was the worst NFL opening day Bears execution on BOTH SIDES I have ever seen.

Flus is the one I am pissed at. Having your men ready to play at a high level on gameday is HC top priority 

41 minutes ago, SLCbear said:

Tampa will be very warm get a plain orange T cuts sleeves off and draw a blue 23 & Johnson on it. I did a pink tshirt (october game) one year in charlotte w Alshon 17 

Why didn’t you write Jeffries 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bigbear72 said:

***Tinfoil hat alert***

If that were the case I don't see why they wouldn't have just traded Fields during the offseason when his value was pretty high and signing a guy like Gardner Minshew to tie the team over until the draft. 

• Like 1