A 2008-esque loss, Packers (1-1) fall to the Falcons (2-0) - Week 2 postgame thread

Striker

6 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Love has been decent.  He hasn't been great.  I feel like that is a fair assessment.  I've seen more or less what I was hoping to see from Love at this stage of the season.

I just want to see more wow plays. It's good to see he's atleast a competent NFL QB, but I'm greedy and want to him to be a special one.

9 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Love has been decent.  He hasn't been great.  I feel like that is a fair assessment.  I've seen more or less what I was hoping to see from Love at this stage of the season.

I think he's done pretty well, but obviously needs to keep improving.  I think the talent is there .. just has to go thru the typical ups and downs of being a new starting QB.  I do think these guys will all grow together in due time .. it would help if Watson could get out there to help open things up.  Missing Jones is a killer.. he's light years better than Dillon. That's a major dropoff.  

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Striker said:

You're right, my mistake there. Even then, I still think you should take the shot. Show some trust in the young kicker and show trust in the defense if he misses.

Also, punt touchbacks still go to the 20, not the 25 like kickoffs.  So there would have been roughly a 25 yard gain for ATL on a missed FG attempt vs the touchback.

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

Also, punt touchbacks still go to the 20, not the 25 like kickoffs.  So there would have been roughly a 25 yard gain for ATL on a missed FG attempt vs the touchback.

I think I had tricked myself into thinking the punt rule had passed with the fair catch kickoff rule this year.  Kind of surprised the owners didn't advance that one.

15 minutes ago, GHARMON9 said:

Jordan Love
29/52
396 Yards 
6 TDs 0 INTS 
118.7 Passer rating. 

Yet I don't feel likes he's been as impressive as his numbers suggest. I feel MLF has schemed up a pretty damn good offensive game plan. Fell like we've left alot of yards and a couple TDs on the field.

Am I alone in this?

It's a deceiving stat line as there's some bulk yardage and TD #s that are based off of his RB taking screens yard, and a statistical technicality on the quick designed shovel pass. He's thrown some interceptable balls as well, but overall fine. Still misses high sometimes.

Curious to see his deep ball once Watson's back and 100%, and if can develop some chemistry with Muscgrave while he's able to extend plays with his legs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think he's done pretty well, but obviously needs to keep improving.  I think the talent is there .. just has to go thru the typical ups and downs of being a new starting QB.  I do think these guys will all grow together in due time .. it would help if Watson could get out there to help open things up.  Missing Jones is a killer.. he's light years better than Dillon. That's a major dropoff.  

I think the main thing is the game is still moving fast for him, and he's staying strictly within MLF's play design.  That's not a terrible thing at all, but it does lead to things like that Q4 throw that went right to the Falcons DB.  I fully expect him to grow beyond that as the season progresses.  I'm plenty happy with what I've seen so far.

24 minutes ago, GHARMON9 said:

Jordan Love
29/52
396 Yards 
6 TDs 0 INTS 
118.7 Passer rating. 

Yet I don't feel likes he's been as impressive as his numbers suggest. I feel MLF has schemed up a pretty damn good offensive game plan. Fell like we've left alot of yards and a couple TDs on the field.

Am I alone in this?

0 games without his #1/2WR

1 game with his #1 RB

1 game with his top LT

Factor that in as well

• Like 7

Love had the option to run the sneak by calling out a key word, or call time out. But he gave the wrong key word to trigger the play.

“It’s pretty much not a play until I give the live word, pretty much,” Love said, “and I gave the wrong live word on that one.”

Doh!

Then on the final possession, Love and receiver Jayden Reed misread each other and the coverage, causing an incompletion on first down.

Doh!!!

12 minutes ago, squire12 said:

0 games without his #1/2WR

1 game with his #1 RB

1 game with his top LT

Factor that in as well

No. Don't factor it in. Because if he's paid based off this being factored in, he's not going to have that WR combo, that #1 RB, that top LT.

Don't make excuses for him. Don't turn Love into the next infallible QB.

Love is what he is. No ifs ands or butts. He either wins, or he loses. He's either good or he's bad. I don't want to hear this crap for another 10 years.

Tom Brady didn't bemoan losing anybody. He went out and cheated his way to 7 Super Bowl wins.

Love does not look amazing yet. Very serious long term concerns. His YAP and completion percentage are both well below what they should be.

Until he signs his next contract, he sucks.

• Like 1

Remember this from last year's Jets game?  I think maybe Smith had it posted in the Falcons halftime locker room.  As a Packers fan, the truth behind it is a bit concerning.

“Just keep giving them body blow after body blow after body blow. Just keep hitting them. Keep hitting them in the mouth. O-line just keep pushing and just keep leaning on them, and we felt like if we can just keep taking them down to deep water, they’ll find out they can’t swim.”

27 minutes ago, MacReady said:

No. Don't factor it in. Because if he's paid based off this being factored in, he's not going to have that WR combo, that #1 RB, that top LT.

Don't make excuses for him. Don't turn Love into the next infallible QB.

Love is what he is. No ifs ands or butts. He either wins, or he loses. He's either good or he's bad. I don't want to hear this crap for another 10 years.

Tom Brady didn't bemoan losing anybody. He went out and cheated his way to 7 Super Bowl wins.

Love does not look amazing yet. Very serious long term concerns. His YAP and completion percentage are both well below what they should be.

Until he signs his next contract, he sucks.

You’re mostly right, but to deal with this all of these guys missing time in his first two starts and still playing this well is still encouraging.  Did enough to win today too, really.  

Sounds like TJ Slayton is still in the denial stage

“Just ’cause one team (ran it), doesn’t mean we’re bad run-stoppers. We executed to the best of our ability. Our coach gave us some great play calls. It wasn’t like it was a crazy, crazy type of deal that they were doing. They just got us on a couple plays.”