Sam Howell is the best QB from last years sraft

Vladimir L

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Sam Howell is #2 in passing yards in the NFL,only behind Tua.

He's on pace for 4,667 yards. Not bad for a 5th Rd pick. 😁 He's also been sacked 40+ times. (on pace for NFL record) What will he do if they protect him more, or he gets the ball out quicker?

Just sayin'...

How do you guys like Eric B? I’ve heard some pretty salty fans hating on him, but you can’t deny Sam Howells production. 

• Like 1

Maybe I'm a little biased since his 2 best games were definitely against us, but I think this kid is the real deal and have thought as much since the 1st time he cooked us. Just has arm talent you can't teach. Whether he becomes a great QB or just a solid starter will come down to whether or not he can fix some of the intangibles. Considering this is more or less his rookie year, he's been very impressive.

I don't think this outcome is that crazy, even with Purdy.   Not that Purdy isn't a legit QB, but I think we understand he's got his strengths & flaws.

Thing with Howell, he's got 2 major flaws - the sacks are definitely something he influences.  He hangs on to the ball way too long at times, which I'd say accounts for about 40-50% of the sacks.   And he definitely has these Jameis-like "WTF were you thinking" moments.   In fact, a smarter, more athletic (and shorter) Jameis would be a really good comp.

Now, he's also smarter and more athletic/mobile than Jameis.   He's got the same gunslinger mentality.   And he's able to place throws in tight windows - which is what had NE & PHI's pass D fooled.    That's why he has these great games (and the flaws are why his bad games look brutal).

Here's the thing - his internal clock to avoid sacks is definitely improving the last 2 weeks.   The TO-worthy plays aren't going away, but if you can limit the extra sacks, then he becomes far more intriguing.   Get him a better OL (esp at C, benching Nick Gates has helped a lot as well the last 2 weeks), and see if the internal clock improves, and yeah, he just might be the best in the class.   And frankly, it's only Purdy that's his competition.   Kenny Pickett & others?   LOL, nope.

Do I think he's a future star?  Nope.   But can he be the best of this class, and a serviceable starter in the gunslinger, live-with-mistakes guy?  Absolutely.   I think he's done enough to let WAS see how he progresses ROS and next year (get that C upgraded, guys).

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I don't think this outcome is that crazy, even with Purdy.   Not that Purdy isn't a legit QB, but I think we understand he's got his strengths & flaws.

Thing with Howell, he's got 2 major flaws - the sacks are definitely something he influences.  He hangs on to the ball way too long at times, which I'd say accounts for about 40-50% of the sacks.   And he definitely has these Jameis-like "WTF were you thinking" moments.   In fact, a smarter, more athletic (and shorter) Jameis would be a really good comp.

Now, he's also smarter and more athletic/mobile than Jameis.   He's got the same gunslinger mentality.   And he's able to place throws in tight windows - which is what had NE & PHI's pass D fooled.    That's why he has these great games (and the flaws are why his bad games look brutal).

Here's the thing - his internal clock to avoid sacks is definitely improving the last 2 weeks.   The TO-worthy plays aren't going away, but if you can limit the extra sacks, then he becomes far more intriguing.   Get him a better OL (esp at C, benching Nick Gates has helped a lot as well the last 2 weeks), and see if the internal clock improves, and yeah, he just might be the best in the class.   And frankly, it's only Purdy that's his competition.   Kenny Pickett & others?   LOL, nope.

Do I think he's a future star?  Nope.   But can he be the best of this class, and a serviceable starter in the gunslinger, live-with-mistakes guy?  Absolutely.   I think he's done enough to let WAS see how he progresses ROS and next year (get that C upgraded, guys).

Past two weeks sacks have gone down and play calling has improve