The Killing (Justin) Fields

notthatbluestuff

I feel bad for Fields. Got drafted by a desperate Pace hoping he could save his job but had Nagy already on his way out and trying to take Pace with him. Then gets a new GM/HC but the GM wants to scrap the roster so he is stuck with Big Sky talent on offense around him for a year, and the OC takes half the reason to realize "he run real fast" and to utilize his athleticism. Now in year three Eberflus has lost control of the staff, Getsy reverted back to having his plays called from Madden suggestions, and now all this. 

I don't think this team should be on Hard Knocks but a reality sitcom like The Osbournes throughout the season would be entertaining at least. 

And really it has become a no win situation for this staff. If Fields starts moving more and producing they win a few games and are out of the Williams sweepstakes, if Fields still plays average at best then Bagent may come in and Chicago quickly gets reminded that this isn't a Kurt Warner or even a Brock Purdy situation. There's a lack of talent and coaching ability on top of how ridiculously rare those cases are for it to work - especially in Chicago. I've said that Eberflus was the scapegoat for Poles just like Fox was for Pace and it is looking the same, but now I wonder if Warren is going to get rid of Poles too. I don't care much either way, but wow. lol 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 2:40 PM, Chiefer said:

You honestly think Bryce Young wouldn’t get ruined behind this Bears offensive brain trust?

He can atleast throw the ball with anticipation. Fields has never been able to do that. Maybe the Bears wouldn't be so bad if they had an actual QB instead of a glorified RB.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I feel bad for Fields. Got drafted by a desperate Pace hoping he could save his job but had Nagy already on his way out and trying to take Pace with him. Then gets a new GM/HC but the GM wants to scrap the roster so he is stuck with Big Sky talent on offense around him for a year, and the OC takes half the reason to realize "he run real fast" and to utilize his athleticism. Now in year three Eberflus has lost control of the staff, Getsy reverted back to having his plays called from Madden suggestions, and now all this. 

I don't think this team should be on Hard Knocks but a reality sitcom like The Osbournes throughout the season would be entertaining at least. 

And really it has become a no win situation for this staff. If Fields starts moving more and producing they win a few games and are out of the Williams sweepstakes, if Fields still plays average at best then Bagent may come in and Chicago quickly gets reminded that this isn't a Kurt Warner or even a Brock Purdy situation. There's a lack of talent and coaching ability on top of how ridiculously rare those cases are for it to work - especially in Chicago. I've said that Eberflus was the scapegoat for Poles just like Fox was for Pace and it is looking the same, but now I wonder if Warren is going to get rid of Poles too. I don't care much either way, but wow. lol 

He should spend less time talking to reporters or doing commercials and work on his game. I'm old enough to remember when he said the NFL game was already too slow for him. I don't think his work ethic is where you want it to be for a franchise QB.

34 minutes ago, StatKing said:

He can atleast throw the ball with anticipation. Fields has never been able to do that. Maybe the Bears wouldn't be so bad if they had an actual QB instead of a glorified RB.

The Bears also cut their #2 QB.... meaning the "#3" (who outplayed everyone else in preseason) is going to actually be active on game day this week. This means the coaches will actually have an option to bench Fields and start the rookie UDFA (Tyson Bagent)

So Fields anticipated his coaches about to sack him, and threw them under the bus.

Throwing with anticipation to avoid a sack. #Bears #Progress #QB1

Edited by Epyon
  • Like 1

Just now, StatKing said:

Still blows my mind they let Pace trade more draft capital for another QB when everyone knew he was on the hottest seat in the league.

To paraphrase a Simpsons line:

Homer: There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Bears way.

Lisa: But dad, isn't the Bears way just the wrong way?

Homer: Yes, but FASTER!.

6 minutes ago, Epyon said:

The Bears also cut their #2 QB.... meaning the "#3" (who outplayed everyone else in preseason) is going to actually be active on game day this week. This means the coaches will actually have an option to bench Fields and start the rookie UDFA (Tyson Bagent)

So Fields anticipated his coaches about to sack him, and threw them under the bus.

Throwing with anticipation to avoid a sack. #Bears #Progress #QB1

I enjoyed this more than I should have. The more I watch Fields the more I question his work ethic. The guy has gotten noticeably worse in so many areas. His footwork is bad, his release is slow and he still can't read a defense to save his life.

It's hard not to improve atleast slightly if he put in the work like he is supposed to the last three years.

4 minutes ago, Epyon said:

To paraphrase a Simpsons line:

Homer: There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Bears way.

Lisa: But dad, isn't the Bears way just the wrong way?

Homer: Yes, but FASTER!.

Bears need to get rid of Poles after this year as well, regardless of whether it's fair or not.

Letting Pace pick two QBs single-handedly sank the franchise for almost a decade. Why make the same mistake again? In all likelihood the Bears are gonna suck again next year and he's gonna be fired anyways. Why strap another GM with a coach/QB he didn't pick?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StatKing said:

I think Young is a better fit, but I think he’d ultimately not have a good year either and have real struggles. Same issue he has in Carolina would rear it’s head in Chicago, but even worse because the defense isn’t as good.