The Killing (Justin) Fields

notthatbluestuff

6 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I've said that Eberflus was the scapegoat for Poles just like Fox was for Pace and it is looking the same, but now I wonder if Warren is going to get rid of Poles too. I don't care much either way, but wow. lol 

I'd be VERY surprised if Poles got axed this quickly.  Most GMs get 2-3 HCs before they're shown the door.

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'd be VERY surprised if Poles got axed this quickly.  Most GMs get 2-3 HCs before they're shown the door.

True but Poles wasn't hired by Warren. I doubt Poles gets cut as well but after seeing Emery go down in 3 years even with how passive/weak Bears ownership can be I'm not entirely ruling it out. Whatever plans he had with Phillips were before Warren was hired. 

On 9/20/2023 at 1:55 PM, ET80 said:

This feels like it’s headed towards a really ugly divorce very soon… Fields will be on another team by mid season, I’d bet.

Who will even want him though?  Especially mid-season.

Offseason as a flyer somebody takes thinking they can still "fix him"?  Sure.  But in the meantime...idk how many takers he'd have.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 2:09 PM, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Two things can be true:

Justin Fields is playing very poorly and is looking more and more like a bust(I always thought this would be the case).

The Bears offensive staff is doing him absolutely NO favors with how they are calling games/coaching him. The scheme is terrible and they aren't doing nearly enough with him as a runner which will make things easier in the passing game.

From my point of view: if this continues the Bears need to just fire everyone and start over...... again. Their coaching staff seems completely in over their heads, and the way Poles attempted to build the team this offseason was beyond confusing. Just a terrible job by everyone so far, but they have a chance to turn it around as it is only week 2.

The scheme is the GB branch of the Shanahan scheme. 

The playcalls are the plays from the scheme an OC calls when he knows he's got a QB that he can't trust to run the scheme.

Fields is absolutely terrible. One of the worst QBs at going through his progressions and knowing what the hell to do out there I've ever seen. Hope he stays in Chicago for a long time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Who will even want him though?  Especially mid-season.

Offseason as a flyer somebody takes thinking they can still "fix him"?  Sure.  But in the meantime...idk how many takers he'd have.

I don't think he would be traded to be a starter anywhere right now. Teams like the Rams and Titans have QBs who are in their mid-30s and Fields could get a hell of a head start to learning the system AND could play the Taysom Hill role for them this season. That's why I think the mid-season trade might have merit, even if only in a small market and still unlikely. 

Fields is simply a bad QB saved from the Zach Wilson treatment by being an extremely dynamic athlete. Frankly he is in his 3rd year and at this point if the coaches are putting too much on his plate that means he doesn't have a big enough plate. Its glaring comparing him to even Jordan Love who although doesn't always hit his throws all the time generally can read a defense and make the right reads/follow progressions. Fields still looks like a college QB 3 years in. He just isn't good. Change his position and hope he can use his athletic ability to translate.  

• Like 3

On 9/20/2023 at 6:54 AM, Sugashane said:

They sure as hell would not be. lol

Surprised you got that many likes. Obviously I disagree. He's had 2 turnovers in each game (could've been more with some of his poor throws and decision making) and still hasn't demonstrated the ability to read a defense and go through progressions. It's ridiculous to say that no other QB would be able to have the Bears at 2-0 right now.

I saw someone else after your post say that the Bears are calling too many screens, etc as an excuse. Ask yourself why that is? Why would a coach call so many screens? It's pretty clear the whoever calling plays doesn't trust Fields right now. When he does drop back normally it's hard to watch. He doesn't appear to have progressed at all from last year despite having a true #1 WR now. IMO if the Bears had a QB that could read a defense they wouldn't be calling so many screens.

It's still early in the season so he can certainly turn things around but he hasn't looked good at all thus far.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2023 at 8:17 AM, Chiefer said:

Bryce Young already hurt, no way he survives in Chicago

His #1 WR right now is 33 years old, past his prime, and can't create any separation at this point of his career. He'd have DJ Moore, Mooney, and Kmet to throw to and actual weapons on offense.

If he doesn't survive somewhere it's due to his size not his abilities. He's not holding on to the football too long when people are open (Fields). I believe Bryce is doing the best he can given the situation he's in. Can the same be said of Fields?

Edited by RaisinBran
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RaisinBran said:

His #1 WR right now is 33 years old, past his prime, and can't create any separation at this point of his career. He'd have DJ Moore, Mooney, and Kmet to throw to and actual weapons on offense.

If he doesn't survive somewhere it's due to his size not his abilities. He's not holding on to the football too long when people are open (Fields). I believe Bryce is doing the best he can given the situation he's in. Can the same be said of Fields?

He wouldn't have DJ Moore.

• Like 2

On 9/22/2023 at 11:24 AM, Spartacus said:

Fields is simply a bad QB saved from the Zach Wilson treatment by being an extremely dynamic athlete. Frankly he is in his 3rd year and at this point if the coaches are putting too much on his plate that means he doesn't have a big enough plate. Its glaring comparing him to even Jordan Love who although doesn't always hit his throws all the time generally can read a defense and make the right reads/follow progressions. Fields still looks like a college QB 3 years in. He just isn't good. Change his position and hope he can use his athletic ability to translate.  

I don’t agree that “he’s simply a bad QB”. You can’t expect a QB to succeed when you pair him with a coach who was getting fired unless something miraculous happened and then brought in another regime who clearly have no clue what they’re doing. I’m a fan of a franchise that would draft young QBs and immediately fire the coach or change coordinators and just pair them with bad rosters and they’d end up failing. We recently did the same thing with Dwayne Haskins. 

Does this mean Fields would’ve succeeded with continuity? I honestly have no clue but the situation he was drafted into was a total disaster and it never should’ve happened. The Bears had no business making that trade considering the mess they were at the time and still are. Coaching goes a long way when developing a young QB and I think Fields needs a change of scenery.

Not sure he’ll ever succeed at this point but comparing him to Jordan Love simply isn’t fair. Love was drafted and allowed to sit and learn behind a HoF and in one of the most stable organizations in football. The first time Jordan Love saw the field he was god awful. We all saw it. He’s certainly developed since that point and the stability of his surroundings lends to that. 

10 hours ago, RaisinBran said:

Surprised you got that many likes. Obviously I disagree. He's had 2 turnovers in each game (could've been more with some of his poor throws and decision making) and still hasn't demonstrated the ability to read a defense and go through progressions. It's ridiculous to say that no other QB would be able to have the Bears at 2-0 right now.

I saw someone else after your post say that the Bears are calling too many screens, etc as an excuse. Ask yourself why that is? Why would a coach call so many screens? It's pretty clear the whoever calling plays doesn't trust Fields right now. When he does drop back normally it's hard to watch. He doesn't appear to have progressed at all from last year despite having a true #1 WR now. IMO if the Bears had a QB that could read a defense they wouldn't be calling so many screens.

It's still early in the season so he can certainly turn things around but he hasn't looked good at all thus far.

Yeah.  I think the heavy reliance on screens is a big indictment of Fields, more than anything else.  It's because like you said, the OC doesn't trust Fields to make reads and correct decisions.  So it takes the decisions out of his hands.  It gives him "easy" completions designed to go to one place, and one place only.  Yet he's still finding ways to **** that up.  😆

His offensive line kinda sucks, but that's also the reality for at least half the NFL.  And the cold hard reality is, good quarterbacks with pocket feel, make their OLine look better than it is.

He's got really solid targets to throw to.  He's got a #1WR who can be a beast in YAC yardage to pad out his stats.  Just get the ball in his hands.  He's got a really solid #2WR who is a huge, "easy target" sort of security blanket who can haul in grabs if the ball is at least put in his general vicinity.  He's done it with other very poor quarterbacks.  Very solid 3rd receiver.  Reasonably decent young TE who should be more than capable of playing that safety valve role for him.  Really not a bad backfield behind him to take some pressure off...but he's ultimately putting more pressure on them by his inability to read the field.

I'd very easily swap the Jaguars super expensive WRs for the Bears crew.  I think more than half the league would probably make that trade.  It's fully Fields that is letting them down there.