The Killing (Justin) Fields

notthatbluestuff

15 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

We're talking about a QB who made the NFL Top 100. Also, that's an awesome profile pic assuming that's Lee Van Cleef.

It is Lee.  The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is my favorite movie.  

As far as the top 100 piece, he was so ridiculously overhyped that I expect an overcorrection.  As a passer he's clearly not in the top 100, and I don't think he gets more than a 4th as a Taysom Hill style QB.

• Like 2

On 9/18/2023 at 2:09 PM, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Two things can be true:

Justin Fields is playing very poorly and is looking more and more like a bust(I always thought this would be the case).

The Bears offensive staff is doing him absolutely NO favors with how they are calling games/coaching him. The scheme is terrible and they aren't doing nearly enough with him as a runner which will make things easier in the passing game.

From my point of view: if this continues the Bears need to just fire everyone and start over...... again. Their coaching staff seems completely in over their heads, and the way Poles attempted to build the team this offseason was beyond confusing. Just a terrible job by everyone so far, but they have a chance to turn it around as it is only week 2.

This is all true, although I didn't think he would bust I was hoping(as a Baers fan) that he wouldn't but I was skeptical all last season.

There was a play against GB where the Bears had three wide open targets downfield (2 WRs and a TE), and Fields checked down to the RB for about 3 yards. That, and other plays, shows that Fields seems afraid to throw the ball and afraid of throwing an interception.

6 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I thought Chicago did really well trading down and getting Moore but Fields has shockingly regressed as a passer

I mean, they were first in the draft order. And yet…

Their top selection in the draft was a run blocking RT. Their #32 was used on an already busted player about to need a new contract. They received Moore, but he’s also needing a new contract (those rookie years are a huge amount of the value players have).

More than anything, they had the right to choose any top QB prospect they wanted and just said, nah, we have the running QB “phenom”.

I hated their trade at the time and stand by that.

On 9/18/2023 at 11:51 AM, DirtyDez said:

There was no Luck or Burrow coming out last year so it made sense to trade back and ride with him for another year.  

I wouldn't give up on Fields yet it's still early in the season... however, the Bears likely would be 2-0 right now if A-Rich, Bryce, or CJ was their QB. They've all looked decent without having to rely entirely on running ability. Fields doesn't appear to get through his progressions quickly and seems more of a mental thing than physical. 

1 hour ago, Duluther said:

Their top selection in the draft was a run blocking RT. Their #32 was used on an already busted player about to need a new contract. They received Moore, but he’s also needing a new contract (those rookie years are a huge amount of the value players have).

More than anything, they had the right to choose any top QB prospect they wanted and just said, nah, we have the running QB “phenom”.

As much as i liked Young he had some serious concerns about his size. I dont hate the process of following the Allen/Hurts plan where an inaccurate passer with great rushing ability gets a #1. Now with the picks accumulated they can do some damage next year in a better QB class

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 3:08 PM, TankWilliams said:

I still think that Fields has a lot of potential, but its becoming ever more clear that this offensive coaching staff isn't doing its job.  Fields can deliver a great ball with velocity and accuracy, but the playcalling is absolutely atrocious.  The biggest thing i've observed so far for Fields is that he can have all the time in the world in the pocket and he still holds onto the ball too long and misses open reads.  I'm sure thats mostly on him, but I think that some of that could be improved with competent coaching and he does not have that.  My guess is he is not long for this league.  Theres no one else on staff that would likely do a good job with playcalling and I'm guessing Fields is out if he doesn't show a huge level of improvement between now and the end of the season anyway.  

Tim Jenkins gives his reasoning why it's coaching causing JF1's regression.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I thought Chicago did really well trading down and getting Moore but Fields has shockingly regressed as a passer

I still think they did do well in getting Moore though.  He's still a huge Day1 weapon for whoever their actual quarterback ends up being.  That's independent of whether Fields is the guy or not.

3 hours ago, BeaReylo said:

Tim Jenkins gives his reasoning why it's coaching causing JF1's regression.  

Who the **** is Tim Jenkins?

Also...

If it's so easy to "fix" Fields by just swapping around one element of footwork, why is this dickhat not employed by the Chicago Bears to do so?

After unfortunately listening to most of this stupid segment...i went back to look at a few things, and i don't have a ******* clue what this dude is talking about.  He's basically just making **** up.

Fields through his college career, played with basically even set feet and didn't really take proper precision drops whatsoever.  He just had a weird left foot hop pivot hop sorta thing that you see all the time with college QBs where the ball is out quick and ultimately, he's set more square like a RB because that run threat is a big part of what he's doing.  Works at the college level.  Has nothing at all to do with a precision NFL timing offense.

But even looking at some of the games where he was supposedly "good" last year...he's fully playing "right foot back" in the gun.  Same as this year.

The common denominator across things is...he doesn't seem to have any semblance of timing when he's asked to take an actual drop.  He doesn't seem able to do that and read the field at the same time.  It's either instant throws without a real drop or progression.  Or plays where he starts shuffling around and improvising off schedule.  That's not sustainable as an NFL quarterback of a good team.  It's too easy to counter.  We've seen even a guy like Russell Wilson who was elite at that sort of improvisation...struggle severely when transplanted to the wrong situation.  And Fields hasn't shown even a fraction of Wilson's pocket presence and elusiveness.

Yes, a lot of other top young quarterbacks reverse that with a left leg back in shotgun...but it's wild to me to attribute that to "bad coaching".  Rather than just...quarterback preference.  It'd be one thing if there was clear evidence that he was being pressured to make a switch he's not comfortable with.  But i'm not really seeing it...

That shouldn't really be a coaching inspired change.  It should be a coach adapting to what is comfortable for the player.  And i don't see any evidence that isn't the case with Fields.  He just kinda sucks, whatever way he starts out his crappy ad hoc footwork.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Duluther said:

And they're probably going to have that opportunity again. They did the right thing especially if they end up with Caleb Williams. My opinion last year was Fields wasn't the guy and they should draft Young or Stroud and trade Fields while he had a lot of perceived value. They probably would've got a first or more for him but honestly giving him another year while loading up on picks was the right move. The QBs in this draft are just better. I like Stroud and Young but Williams and Maye are better and they will most likely end up with one of them. They have a good chance of ending up with the first two picks in the draft and then can trade Fields as well. They won't get what they would've got but I think this was the correct approach. 

14 hours ago, RaisinBran said:

I wouldn't give up on Fields yet it's still early in the season... however, the Bears likely would be 2-0 right now if A-Rich, Bryce, or CJ was their QB. They've all looked decent without having to rely entirely on running ability. Fields doesn't appear to get through his progressions quickly and seems more of a mental thing than physical. 

They sure as hell would not be. lol

• Like 12

13 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

None of those guys are saving the Bears. That OC is still calling 3 screen passes from his own goal line regardless of the guy playing QB

Exactly. I'm not sure any QB would be 2-0 in Chicago right now. Mahomes, Herbert, anyone. 

Now I'm not saying the games wouldn't have been more competitive at minimum, but yeah. 2-0 isn't happening in Chicago regardless of who Getsy calls plays to. 

• Like 2