The Killing (Justin) Fields

notthatbluestuff

42 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Yes, he's not a good QB.  He is athletic so what position could he play instead?  RB?  WR?

No idea if he can catch well enough to be a WR, but his size/speed/athetlcism could make him dangerous there.. Safest spot is Running back. He's already shown an aptitude for that.

@ the thread.... Bears Sub forum gave me a bunch of crap for suggesting that the Rookie UDFA Tyson Bagent should be given a chance to compete against JF1 in the preseason when one of them looked exactly like he does right now, and the other had nearly impeccable footwork, pocket presences, and was operating the offense with rhythm and and anticipation (albeit against #2s at best) ... IMO I saw enough in preseason to see Fields still isn't progressing literally at all (and possibly even regressing)... but honestly, I still hate not opening up the competition.... If Fields couldn't smoke an UDFA rookie in an open competition, then what are we even doing here?  And at this point in the season, just trade him for the same kind of deal Lance got (maybe a touch more) and let someone else deal with trying to fix him. Kid would need a ladder to reach where even Trubisky was for this team, and it's pretty obvious he's not part of the future plans...... Frankly, since I think our entire coaching staff is also about to get canned, they should be all the more eager to throw the rookie UDFA in there, since there's at least some miniscule chance he could save their jobs if he played well enough, and it's pretty clear Fields won't be doing that by this point.

I'd also argue we should fire our OC and replace him mid season as well, but that's a separate thread.

Edited by Epyon

3 hours ago, Danger said:

The Bears were trying to Punt to the 2024 draft class I think TBH.

Yeah.  And as much as i've never been a believer in Fields, i don't think it was a bad play to call.

At the end of the day...it gives them an extra year to be extra sure Fields sucks.  It gives them extra draft capital and a good player in addition.  When Fields sucks this badly, they'll be right there in the running for their pick of the 2024 quarterbacks.  Sucky season to watch this year, but ultimately puts them in a better spot for the long-haul.

12 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Flus full on drove the bus over Justin Fields then backed up and did it some more.

Is Fields in bust territory or will he get his Bears career back on track? 

I still believe in Justin Fields the player.  I think he could be capable of righting the ship.  The problem is that I don't have a lot of faith in the coaching staff he has been saddled with.  They never seem to put him in positions where he can succeed.  It's a real shame, because he has a lot of talent.  They just aren't helping him make the most of it. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

for me, these kind of plays are the most toe clenching, awful, stupid plays possible in the NFL. 

the holding on to the ball, bailing from a decent pocket and getting snagged immediately. Arghhh!! It kills me.

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Danger said:

It's also a recency trends thing.

LaMar Jackson... and even more recently Jalen Hurts, people automatically think "Oh Fields will do this too"

Same thing happened with Joe Burrow and then Kenny Pickett following up on that when they're just not the same caliber of players.

How lazy is that?

what is it even based on, a slight physical resemblance? 🤣  what is going on 

3 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  And as much as i've never been a believer in Fields, i don't think it was a bad play to call.

At the end of the day...it gives them an extra year to be extra sure Fields sucks.  It gives them extra draft capital and a good player in addition.  When Fields sucks this badly, they'll be right there in the running for their pick of the 2024 quarterbacks.  Sucky season to watch this year, but ultimately puts them in a better spot for the long-haul.

Plot Twist - What if they knew all along that Fields was beyond repairable and still passed on Young/Stroud for Williams lol. 

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

How lazy is that?

what is it even based on, a slight physical resemblance? 🤣  what is going on 

"young exciting running quarterback"

Or in Burrow/Pickett's case "QB who's a bit older that puts it all together suddenly a little bit older than everyone else"

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Any team that is facing Chicago right now, whilst Fields is under a mandate not to run, are effectively having a bye week.

records for teams that have faced the bears so far should have an * 

100%.  Thats why all the hype around Jordan Love's first week was really laughable to me, this is one of the worst teams I've ever seen.  I could get on the field now and complete 50% of my passes against the Bears defense lol.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

I liked Stroud, but honestly I'm not really upset by this concept

Yep I was all for the trade down, was slightly worried we’d take a qb. 

but then again most of my worry was getting the qb into the same mess Fields is in and wasting them to it all. What would we be doing to CWilliams?

7 hours ago, Epyon said:

No idea if he can catch well enough to be a WR, but his size/speed/athetlcism could make him dangerous there.. Safest spot is Running back. He's already shown an aptitude for that.

@ the thread.... Bears Sub forum gave me a bunch of crap for suggesting that the Rookie UDFA Tyson Bagent should be given a chance to compete against JF1 in the preseason when one of them looked exactly like he does right now, and the other had nearly impeccable footwork, pocket presences, and was operating the offense with rhythm and and anticipation (albeit against #2s at best) ... IMO I saw enough in preseason to see Fields still isn't progressing literally at all (and possibly even regressing)... but honestly, I still hate not opening up the competition.... If Fields couldn't smoke an UDFA rookie in an open competition, then what are we even doing here?  And at this point in the season, just trade him for the same kind of deal Lance got (maybe a touch more) and let someone else deal with trying to fix him. Kid would need a ladder to reach where even Trubisky was for this team, and it's pretty obvious he's not part of the future plans...... Frankly, since I think our entire coaching staff is also about to get canned, they should be all the more eager to throw the rookie UDFA in there, since there's at least some miniscule chance he could save their jobs if he played well enough, and it's pretty clear Fields won't be doing that by this point.

I'd also argue we should fire our OC and replace him mid season as well, but that's a separate thread.

I fear you guys might not get much for Fields in a trade seeing how he plays.  It is damn difficult to find a decent starting QB.  Right now there are not 32 QBs that are starting caliber.  We got lucky with the last 2 (and Love is showing some promise but the jury is still out on him).    You may have to hold your nose and put up with what you got and hope you can try again at next spring's draft.