The Killing (Justin) Fields

notthatbluestuff

My biggest issue is the mishandling of Fields. If he busts he busts, it is a risk for all prospects. But HOW and WHY he might bust, that is the part that ticks me off. 

Chicago drafts him under a lame duck HC in Nagy who proved he couldn't develop a QB(Tru regressed two straight years under him). With no one to fetch coffee for Nagy was completely lost and knew he was on the cutting block, so he mailed the season in. Then they hire Poles and Eberflus. Poles tells Bears ownership the roster blowsand has too many big contracts that the players aren't worth, so it needs overhauled so they do a major tear down. Fields starts horribly but then Getsy starts to utilize his legs to open passing lanes, change the launch points, and pressure the defense. Bears realize they are looking at a potential top-5 pick and they clamp down and get really conservative. Sucks but I get it, they get lucky and Lovie gifts them the top pick. 

But now they have a more talented roster but Getsy is forcing Fields into a normal passing role and focusing on screens and dump offs. He condenses the defense to close passing lanes and essentially turns the damn offense into a redzone offense. Its so much easier to defend than one that can challenge at all levels. Fields' strengths are his legs and deep passing (he's 5/6 on passes over 20 yards this season). Even if the system was competently designed and run (it isn't there's often two WRs in the same damn area) it is a garbage fit for Fields. It would be like throwing Brady or Brees in the same offense Chicago ran last year or BAL ran in 2019. It wouldn't work, and everyone would be calling you an idiot for doing it. Well, Getsy is obviously an idiot and people are starting to realize it. 

Hopefully next year the Bears fire the coaching staff (Warren can kick out Poles too if he wants, I'm not too concerned about him) and they try the novel idea of the GM/offensive HC working together to pick the QB. They've picked up coaches for already drafted QBs for both Tru and Fields and its stupid to do. Hopefully Fields finds himself somewhere where he can actually get coached up by a competent coach and be in a real system as a back up. Being a back up in SF, MIA, or somewhere similar. He'll never be an elite passer but he is way more talented than the Bears make him look due to their organizational incompetence. 

• Like 3

I don't think Poles will get fired, but the coaching staff probably will.
Poles will get a chance to fail with his own hand picked QB since he inherited Fields. Passing on Jalen Carter for an average RT was dumb, but he's not the only GM who passed on Carter, and he has a real shot at drafting Caleb and Marvin Harrison Jr next year. At worst he's probably looking at one of Maye/Ewers plus Brock Bowers. Hopefully the Bears can nail their next HC/OC combo to ensure Fields replacement can at least develop into a Jay Cutler tier QB. Feels like the Bears haven't looked good on offense since Tressman's first season as HC, when he had Alshon and B Marsh both going off.
As far as Fields goes, yeah the Bears have done him dirty, but he also can't seem to make more than 1 read. He's Kaepernick with worse coaching and talent surrounding him. 

Edited by Jeezla

9 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

I don't think Poles will get fired, but the coaching staff probably will.
Poles will get a chance to fail with his own hand picked QB since he inherited Fields. Passing on Jalen Carter for an average RT was dumb, but he's not the only GM who passed on Carter, and he has a real shot at drafting Caleb and Marvin Harrison Jr next year. At worst he's probably looking at one of Maye/Ewers plus Brock Bowers. Hopefully the Bears can nail their next HC/OC combo to ensure Fields replacement can at least develop into a Jay Cutler tier QB. Feels like the Bears haven't looked good on offense since Tressman's first season as HC, when he had Alshon and B Marsh both going off.
As far as Fields goes, yeah the Bears have done him dirty, but he also can't seem to make more than 1 read. He's Kaepernick with worse coaching and talent surrounding him. 

The Bears have been above average on offense in yards and points only twice in the last 30 years!(1995 and 2013)

6 minutes ago, Steelersfan43 said:

The Bears have been above average on offense in yards and points only twice in the last 30 years!(1995 and 2013)

At this point you almost feel like even if the Bears end up drafting Caleb Williams, he'll just end up being Trubisky tier, and Chicago will be looking for another QB in 2027.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Steelersfan43 said:

This is still crazy that their last true franchise QB was in the 1940s!

I'm gonna disagree, Jay Cutler was a good QB, who was (like every other QB they have had since Luckman) completely mismanaged and crippled by terrible offensive decisions.  I will fight forever that outside of the elite guys, I don't think many other QBs at the time would have been successful in Chicago under the circumstances Jay was playing under.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Soggust said:

Plot Twist - What if they knew all along that Fields was beyond repairable and still passed on Young/Stroud for Williams lol. 

I mean, this is basically what it is.  They rolled in with a situation where, either Fields "gets it" and looks like the answer...or you're in a good spot to have a shot at Williams.  Or at least a situation where you can bring in some alignment where the staff can choose the QB they want to work with as "their guy".

12 hours ago, SodeeWater_Cheezburger said:

I still believe in Justin Fields the player.  I think he could be capable of righting the ship.  The problem is that I don't have a lot of faith in the coaching staff he has been saddled with.  They never seem to put him in positions where he can succeed.  It's a real shame, because he has a lot of talent.  They just aren't helping him make the most of it. 

As a Jaguars fan, i've been there plenty of times before.  But at the end of the day, it's really just trying to talk yourself into a bad quarterback.  Making excuses for them.

Fields has had multiple coaches and approaches now...and has looked equally hopeless with each.

I think the thing that really drove home this reality for me, is after years of trying to cling to some hope that "maybe this quarterback just needs the right coaches to unlock them"...i finally got to watch a truly great quarterback prospect come in, and see what it looks like to have a guy who just "gets it".  The way Lawrence looked under the single most unbelievably inept coaching staff i have ever seen in the entire NFL during my lifetime with Urban Meyer's **** show...it was still never even a question in my mind whether Trevor was going to be the guy.  It was a revelation.  He didn't have a great season on paper and a lot of people on the outside were questioning it, and eventually even questioning if the Jaguars had "ruined him" or whatever.  But watching him, it was never in doubt for me.

Fields hasn't had that.  He's almost the opposite, in that his running around made him look a lot "better on paper" than he's actually looked as a real quarterback.  Now, Fields still has a bunch more games this year to run things out and see if anything actually develops there...but at the end of the day, when it's really "The Guy", they tend to find a way to at least show those flashes.  Fields is yet to do any of that as a passer.

Trying to tailor everything perfectly to let a guy run around and hide from crippling, fundamental flaws as a passer...is how you end up in purgatory like the Giants with Danny Dimes locked in to a prohibitive multi-year contract.  Jaguars landed their with Blake Bortles.  It's a crappy place to be.  Much better to "fail fast" and move on if they're not going to be able to find a groove in a sustainable way as a quality passer without a bunch of smoke and mirrors to temporarily disguise serious underlying problems.

• Like 2